Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IPCC_AR6_WGIII_FigureSPM7.png

Baseload nuclear plant goes offline during Texas heat wave. Solar and batteries to the rescue! ;)

They are vague on this reserve power.
Almost immediately, the grid manager deployed a new backup power system. This ERCOT Contingency Reserve Service depends mostly on battery storage, allowing the state to tap long-lasting electricity soon after an unexpected problem.

Is this Tesla powerwalls, powerpacks, something else?

They are vague on this reserve power.
Almost immediately, the grid manager deployed a new backup power system. This ERCOT Contingency Reserve Service depends mostly on battery storage, allowing the state to tap long-lasting electricity soon after an unexpected problem.

Is this Tesla powerwalls, powerpacks, something else?
Good question.. do we know ? Megapacks ?

Fusion is probably the way to go (as far as nuclear is concerned), but I'm not sure if we are smart enough as a species to do it. I'm hopeful ITER will lead to something, but it's starting to feel like the rest of nuclear power -- endlessly over budget and going no where fast.

Fusion is probably the way to go (as far as nuclear is concerned), but I'm not sure if we are smart enough as a species to do it. I'm hopeful ITER will lead to something, but it's starting to feel like the rest of nuclear power -- endlessly over budget and going no where fast.
ITER is a boondoggle. I have better hope in one of the numerous private fusion initiatives coming through like General Fusdion. TAE or LLPfusion.

Nuclear puppet gets 20 years in prison.

Former top Ohio lawmaker sentenced to 20 years in one of state’s largest scandals

And his buddy got 5 years too. Led away in handcuffs...

Reactions: nwdiver
Reactions: mspohr

fish living near drainage outlets at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in May contained levels of radioactive cesium that are 180 times Japan’s safety limit. The black rockfish caught on 18 May was found by plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) to have 18,000 becquerels per kilogram of cesium-137, compared with the legal maximum level of 100 becquerels per kg. Japan’s plan to release 1.3m tonnes of treated water from the Fukushima plant has sparked concern in the region, despite approval from the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Hong Kong has threatened to ban food imports from 10 Japanese prefectures if the water release goes ahead as planned.

I suppose this will get moved to the political quarantine, but here goes.
Fossil fuel was the cheapest, quickest and safest alternative to burning whale oil and coal. A vast energy industry was created based on coal, oil and gas. When nuclear became a possibility, the existing energy industry launched every missile they had to defend their territory. The secrecy about nukes and the stupidity of training children to hide under their desks in case of nuclear attack made nuclear power an easy target. This dragged on a few years, but the FUD overpowered science and reason and the legal cost of building a nuclear power plant began to exceed the cost of the physical construction, making nuclear impractical. It would have been a great step between fossil and solar, but the war was over and nuclear died.

I'm afraid we are stuck with fossil as solar comes on line, not that we need to be, but it is what it is. A good idea presented before its time is sometimes still born and once dead, it's dead forever. Planet Earth will likely weather this as it has so many other disasters and all this will just be another layer in the fossil records for some future intelligence to discover and wonder, how could they have been so stupid?

Reactions: doug
Vogtle 3 enters commercial operation:

This quote is just begging for Murphy's Law to come into play...

Today “marks the first day of the next 60 to 80 years that Vogtle Unit 3 will serve our customers with clean, reliable energy,” added Kim Greene, chairman, president and CEO of Georgia Power.

RT