Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Round 2 grants for NSW Fast Chargers will open next week!

The second round will allocate up to $80 million to co-fund the construction of EV fast charging stations. Round 2 will be open the week commencing Monday 5 December 2022 to March 2023 for CPOs to apply for funding to construct EV charging stations in identified priority zones.

There will be multiple funding rounds until 2024-25 to support the construction of EV fast charging stations across the state.

We will be awash with fast chargers 😄

Strange to roll out phase 2 before almost any phase 1 (other than Tesla Tenterfield and Figtree) have even started construction.

With EV numbers doubling every year there is no time to waste. It took 8 months from Round 1 opening to announcement of the results. This way there should be a pretty full and continuous pipeline of DCFCs being built with no boom/bust between rounds.

Edit. Looks like its an $80m round.

An interesting statement re the discussion on inclusion of CHAdeMO at Rd. 1 sites
"Applicants can put forward their preferred
plug types at any of the sites they bid
for. Although applicants only need to put
forward of the FCAI listed plug types,
they will have to justify the reason for this
response if selecting only one. Sites that
have a diversity of plug types will be seen
as more meritorious during assessment."

Also continues to require payment cards, including Opal Digital.

Appendix 4 has some fairly detailed maps on the areas available including the fast track sites within Sydney.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
The available priority areas nicely cover the Newell Hwy (Narrandera, West Wyalong, Gilgandra, Coonabarabran and Moree in addition to Jerilderie, Forbes, Parkes, Dubbo and Narrabri funded in the previous round).

They also have plenty of sites on the Barrier Hwy out to Broken Hill, but that looks a bit more aspirational. Getting a 500kVA connection in Hermidale (pop. 127), Little Topar (pop. 29), or at the Emmdale Roadhouse seems like a stretch!

Reactions: moa999 and Vostok
2nd round funding guidelines now released.

Closes 11 March 2023. Announced in early June it looks like.
Another $149m, max of $30m per applicant.

New fast-track tier for larger sites in suburban Sydney that has increased funding per charger.

Nice one, @moa999 - and here’s the direct link to the 90-page Round 2 Funding Guidelines document, for those who want to cut to the chase 😄

My quick observations:
  • Shorter and more precise assessment timeline compared to Round 1. I suppose there is more institutional knowledge now and they’ve learned a lot in Round 1.
  • Heading west to Broken Hill will still be a challenge for a while 😄 19 zones defined and only 1 funded so far
  • Still no sign of the grants process for existing apartment buildings with >100 parking spaces ($10 million for around 125 apartment buildings)
  • Still no sign of the grants for kerbside charging in areas with limited/no offstreet parking ($10 million for 500 kerbside charge points)
Still, I guess we can’t be too greedy. This is miles ahead of any other programme!

It occurs to me that for these DC charging sites, rather than partial funding for the overall site they might have been better off just to say they'd pay for the whole of the electricity distribution network augmentation required, and the applicant can pay for everything else. Electricity infrastructure really seems to be the usual sticking point.

”the use of hardware solutions that provide high reliability and have a proven track record”
How many qualify?

Some of the fast track maps are also rather specific.
I can only imagine the one centre in this fairly specific area makes a non-exclusive deal with multiple applicants.

Screenshot_20221209-215857.png

Interesting also that Bondi is on the list given the previous award.

And Darlinghurst, knowing the area, i just struggle to find a site.

Waterloo can really only be the existing Chargefox site unless CoS gives up valuable spots at the pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
How many qualify?

Ha! Bjørn Nyland says ABB means “Always Be Broken” 😆. Kempower? Tesla?

I can only imagine the one centre in this fairly specific area makes a non-exclusive deal with multiple applicants.

Yes, that map doesn’t leave much to the imagination 😄. The existing AC chargers at Birkenhead Point are almost always occupied or ICEd, at least when I’ve been there. Plenty of places DCFCs could be installed.

And Darlinghurst, knowing the area, i just struggle to find a site.

Indeed. This is one of the most densely built areas in Sydney with almost no free space - I don’t think there are even any parking stations in Darlinghurst, and I know of only one in Surry Hills. So “good luck with that”!

This is one of the most densely built areas in Sydney with almost no free space - I don’t think there are even any parking stations in Darlinghurst, and I know of only one in Surry Hills.
Yep. Can only think of Wilson Riley St. But not even half an hour free. Which fails one of the criteria..

The Secure/CoS carpark in Kings Cross at least has 30min free parking (1hr under a temporary Covid measure), but it's defined as within Elizabeth Bay area under the maps.

Maybe on the edge of the areas are the Edgecliff shopping centre sites. Think the Coles site would be a good one - big barely used carpark, whereas the Aldi carpark has a recent DA on it.

NSW Government are obviously under pressure from councils to do something about power cords across footpaths in wealthy suburbs without off-street parking. The state government should know where all the registered vehicles owners live. I'm rather skeptical about DCFC with its high prices being the solution to that problem.

Picked a random street in Drummoyne and even the cars are parked across the footpath.

Another option in Drummoyne is behind the commercial strip along Victoria Road

NSW Government are obviously under pressure from councils to do something about power cords across footpaths in wealthy suburbs without off-street parking. The state government should know where all the registered vehicles owners live. I'm rather skeptical about DCFC with its high prices being the solution to that problem.

Well, far be it from me to take the credit, but I raised this with the Net Zero Transport team last December when I met with them. I pointed out that DCFCs within 5 km of every house (which was the Government‘s line at the time) isn’t the best solution for people without off-street parking. Expensive, hard to scale, and not really that convenient compared to plugging in if you have off-street parking.

DCFCs of course are very important to have too, but solve a different problem.

I suggested they should do two things (a) look at kerbside pole-mounted AC EVSEs as a better solution for this use case and (b) consider working with local governments to allow ad-hoc power cord running across footpaths in a safe manner. For (a), I got the impression they had never even thought about this.

Since then a few things have happened. In June, the NSW Government announced $10 million in new funding for 500 kerbside charge points in residential streets where off-street parking is limited. This was followed up in August with ARENA funding a much smaller trial with Intellihub and Schneider to do exactly the same thing.

Then in October, the Inner West Council in Sydney opened up its “EV Encouragement” consultation, and one of the things it asked about was “Council should explore opportunities to develop guidelines for the safe charging of EVs for residents who do not have off-street access or a nearby public charging unit“. Which to me means allowing residents to use cable trip protection covers or cable pedestals (or other means approved by Council) to safely run a cable from their home to a vehicle parked on the street.

This might all be coincidence, but the important thing is these are now being considered, discussed and even funded.

Reactions: Hungry Mile