Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW’s plans for EVs to 2025 and net-zero emissions by 2050

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggest even for those not in NSW to watch on ABC iView the interview last night on 7:30 with Matt Kean, NSW Energy and Environment Minster, regarding the IPCC Report.

I was impressed as how he called a spade a spade and actually answered the questions asked without doing 3 laps of the park with an obfuscating word salad.

When asked if he thought Scott Morrison should set a net-zero by 2050 target he said yes. When asked should Morrison also set an interim 2030 target he said yes. When asked whether he thought the Federal government’s climate change position will be considered credible at the Glasgow climate conference in Nov he said no.

He won’t be getting any Christmas cards from ScoMo 🤣

I received the following sms from Tesla today.

“Tesla Update: Due to continued lockdowns the NSW Parliament has not yet been able to sit to pass the Electric Vehicle (Revenue Arrangements) Bill 2021. This will cause a delay beyond their advised 1-September start date. The NSW Government is however still committed to this policy and intend for it to pass as soon as possible. Tesla will continue to provide updates once more information has been confirmed by the NSW Government.

Subject to eligibility criteria which can be found at - https://www.nsw.gov.au/initiative/nsw-governments-electric-vehicle-strategy”

From TM3 FB -

Just received this SMS from Tesla!

Tesla Update: Due to continued lockdowns the NSW Parliament has not yet been able to sit to pass the Electric Vehicle (Revenue Arrangements) Bill 2021. This will cause a delay beyond their advised 1-September start date. The NSW Government is however still committed to this policy and intend for it to pass as soon as possible. Tesla will continue to provide updates once more information has been confirmed by the NSW Government.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
From 7news.com.au at the end of July:

'NSW parliament will likely not sit in August due to Sydney's lockdown and the potential of regional MPs seeding coronavirus in their communities.

Speaker of the Lower House Jonathan O'Dea on Tuesday agreed to postpone August sitting dates after a request from Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

That request followed Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant advise for both houses be deferred until at least September.

"In addition to the heightened risk of COVID-19 transmission in parliament itself, there is a risk of seeding COVID-19 to regional communities when MPs and staff return home," Dr Chant said in a letter to Health Minister Brad Hazzard.

The deferral would delay debates on amendments to environmental, firearms and electric vehicle laws, and calls for changes to consent in sexual offences.

Both houses last sat on June 24.

Matthew Mason-Cox, the upper house president, has indicated he will meet with the leader of each party and the crossbench before making a decision about whether to postpone.

The NSW opposition said it was "deeply concerned" the government was yet to put in alternatives, such as videoconferencing, to allow Australia's oldest parliament to sit.

"Democracy is not a luxury so easily dispensed with," Labor MP Ron Hoenig said.'

Reactions: Vostok
That request followed Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant advise for both houses be deferred until at least September.
September is absurdly optimistic if they don’t have the legal ability to do it via virtual meeting.

I’m pencilling in December for any meaningful relaxations of restrictions in Sydney. We’ll be hitting 1000 cases per day by the end of this month. The horse has bolted and vaccination is now the only way out for us.

Apologies to the rest of Australia.

I agree about timing. Number of unknown cases doubled to 1,100 in the past week. It's going to continue to grow unless something changes. Not enough Pfizer until Oct/Nov then time needed for vaccines to kick in. Maybe the Pollies will come up with suitable quarantine arrangements so they can do their jobs.

So does it look like our orders for September won't able to be fulfilled if we still want to get the NSW Gov incentives?
I suspect so, no $3k rebate and no stamp duty exemption, until it is passed into law. There’s an outside chance it could be made retrospective to 1 September, but I wouldn’t want to bet on that. You’d need to pony up the cash now in the hope you might get the relevant bits back later.

Note that any EV on which stamp duty has been paid will not be subject to the NSW road usage charge.

That's a shame. I was really looking forward to delivery. I thought we had to pony up the cash upfront anyway, and then claim rebate.

What a mess... my trade-in quote is only valid until early September, so I will have to redo that and potentially lose money on the trade-in.

That's a shame. I was really looking forward to delivery. I thought we had to pony up the cash upfront anyway, and then claim rebate.
For the rebate yes, but the stamp duty component of the purchase also needs to be paid upfront if the exemption is not in place by then. Assuming you are getting SR not LR (the latter is over the LCT threshold so no SD exemption is proposed).

Yeah I am getting SR+, so would be eligible for rebate and stamp duty component. Was just really hoping that this would be a smooth process and sorted for the September delivery. Now it's just waiting in limbo to find out what will actually happen...

I'm not going to be happy if I lose value off my trade-in.

Tesla etc. would have to be pretty unhappy... all these delays in sales.

Assuming you are getting SR not LR (the latter is over the LCT threshold so no SD exemption is proposed).
Since the price drops last month the LR comes in under the $79,659 LCT threshold, even for a red on white LR (without the FSD package of course). Some LR configurations also come under the proposed stamp duty waiver threshold of $78,000 such as red on black, or blue on white for example.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
September is absurdly optimistic if they don’t have the legal ability to do it via virtual meeting.

I’m pencilling in December for any meaningful relaxations of restrictions in Sydney. We’ll be hitting 1000 cases per day by the end of this month. The horse has bolted and vaccination is now the only way out for us.

Apologies to the rest of Australia.
I sincerely hope your prediction on case numbers is pessimistic, although I suspect it may just be realistic. I am writing this from a Sydney hospital bed (no not virus related). There is no way they can cope with any extra load. As far as I can observe, everything has been “right sized” or “ cost optimised” for normal BAU. It’s scary, and I really feel bad for the people who work in this system.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
I can confirm LR red on black is supposed to be eligible for waiver of stamp duty, as that is what I have on order. Tesla are holding my order for delivery once this is passed. I have been working mostly by Zoom and Teams for over a year, so I don’t know why NSW parliament isn’t capable.

I sincerely hope your prediction on case numbers is pessimistic, although I suspect it may just be realistic. I am writing this from a Sydney hospital bed (no not virus related). There is no way they can cope with any extra load. As far as I can observe, everything has been “right sized” or “ cost optimised” for normal BAU. It’s scary, and I really feel bad for the people who work in this system.
At the risk of turning this into a pandemic thread, meh. If unvaccinated and your age bracket has been eligible for more than, say, two months, then you get palliative care instead of intensive care. Then we’ll be fine. Let people make their choices and live with them.

I have a standard white on black LR on order which is eligible for the SD waiver and under the LCT threshold and Tesla is also holding my order from July 11 until the SD is removed for EVs. NSW government was too blase thinking "this won't happen to us" so no investment made into remote working. Also, I do not know but guess they might need to pass legislation to enable passing legislation remotely! Catch-22!

Drying up of NSW orders might impact Tesla Aus's Q3 numbers somewhat and leave them with quite a bit of stock. On the other hand, people from other States might just hoover them up...who knows...

Well, there we go, state-wide lockdown. This must be a logistical nightmare for Tesla, as I would imagine they don’t have any more storage for cars than they normally need, unless they use a 3rd party prep company for this.

Also, reading the exemptions, it doesn’t sound like picking up your new car will be allowed as a reason for travelling more than 5km, so they might have to deliver? I am feeling somewhat pessimistic that this lockdown won’t end after a week.

Still, 1st world problems indeed. Stay safe everyone!