Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that the charging standard war has ended, can we focus on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also allows those who, uh, desperately need to 'pay the water bill' to park and run to the mens/ladies without having to worry about getting in and/or staying in a physical line.

exactly this happened to me over memorial day weekend.

I was 3rd in line to charge when I arrived at a full SCer in Roslyn Heights, NY - but I ran into the Starbucks to use "the facilities" on an emergancy basis. when I returned, a 4th car had pulled in and it looked like there was a free stall so I walked up to that driver and was like.. "hey I was here waiting, but I had to run inside..."

the driver looked at me like I had 3 heads b/c as it turned out, the free parking space was next to a SCer stall, but an actual SC stall.. so all stalls were still occuped.

how embarasing!

i could have used an electronic queing system for sure!

For some reason that I just don't understand, some folks have very strong feelings against implementing a queue.
I don't have strong feelings against it, I just don't think it'll work because of human nature. Not everyone is a technologically saavy, cooperative person. Digital queue is an overly complex problem for a situation that is only at select locations and is being quickly rectified anyway with the building of additional SCs and hopefully other CPOs entering the mix. If we don't need a digital queue for gas stations, we shouldn't need them for charging stations.

It creates more problems than it solves. It forces more participant involvement, allows for more shenanigans. Remember, the best/simplest driver involvement is NO driver involvement.

Reactions: APotatoGod and KJD
If we don't need a digital queue for gas stations, we shouldn't need them for charging stations.
If a typical charging session lasted as long as a gas tank fill up, and the layout of sites were similar to gas station islands (where a physical queue is possible), that statement might be valid. Even then, over a decade ago when I last visited a gas station, it was sometimes frustrating to try to figure out which car to line up behind, and then even more frustrating when that car wound up being the last to move, meanwhile other lines moved along more quickly.

It creates more problems than it solves. It forces more participant involvement, allows for more shenanigans. Remember, the best/simplest driver involvement is NO driver involvement.
With the right technology, it hardly creates more problems, and it has the ability to solve numerous problems that we aren't even talking about (such as recommending the optimal V2 stall to plug into at a V2 site). As for shenanigans, if anything, not having a virtual queue invites shenanigans. A queue would be able to easily prevent shenanigans by simply not working for a non-authorized user.

I have addressed in detail how such a system could be nearly transparent and resolve practically every concern I have heard raised on this topic (it's possible that I'm not remembering anything).

Like I said about GreatClips, I was skeptical that people would actually use the system, but it turns out that people do.. Same can be said about things like rideshare, online payments, etc. Sure, not everyone uses those, but I think that if someone is savvy enough to figure out how to get in and out of their Tesla, they are probably going to be able to know how to navigate to a Supercharger, which is really the sum total of the "participant involvement" (other than perhaps looking at their screen when they arrive at the Supercharger for a message that says which stall to plug into.

If a typical charging session lasted as long as a gas tank fill up, and the layout of sites were similar to gas station islands (where a physical queue is possible), that statement might be valid. Even then, over a decade ago when I last visited a gas station, it was sometimes frustrating to try to figure out which car to line up behind, and then even more frustrating when that car wound up being the last to move, meanwhile other lines moved along more quickly.

With the right technology, it hardly creates more problems, and it has the ability to solve numerous problems that we aren't even talking about (such as recommending the optimal V2 stall to plug into at a V2 site). As for shenanigans, if anything, not having a virtual queue invites shenanigans. A queue would be able to easily prevent shenanigans by simply not working for a non-authorized user.

I have addressed in detail how such a system could be nearly transparent and resolve practically every concern I have heard raised on this topic (it's possible that I'm not remembering anything).

Like I said about GreatClips, I was skeptical that people would actually use the system, but it turns out that people do.. Same can be said about things like rideshare, online payments, etc. Sure, not everyone uses those, but I think that if someone is savvy enough to figure out how to get in and out of their Tesla, they are probably going to be able to know how to navigate to a Supercharger, which is really the sum total of the "participant involvement" (other than perhaps looking at their screen when they arrive at the Supercharger for a message that says which stall to plug into.
I have also addressed in detail how it would complicate things by creating more failure points and confusion. I will agree to disagree. :) I enjoy the conversation, though.

I wonder if the sub-par charging locations (hotels, large sit-down restaurants, malls, Ikea) are simply out of necessity since they have the power available. In those cases, it's better to have a station with no amenities than no station at all, but hopefully those are minimized.

As for digital queuing, I think if there were some possibility to do that, Chick-Fil-A would already be doing it. Similarly, I personally hate walking into a mostly empty Starbucks and waiting 20 minutes for a drink because I didn't plan half an hour ahead and order via the app. Just let people line up as needed and keep building stations. Hopefully we'll get to to a point where there won't be any queueing.

Reactions: KJD and DblOSmith
As for digital queuing, I think if there were some possibility to do that, Chick-Fil-A would already be doing it. Similarly, I personally hate walking into a mostly empty Starbucks and waiting 20 minutes for a drink because I didn't plan half an hour ahead and order via the app. Just let people line up as needed and keep building stations. Hopefully we'll get to to a point where there won't be any queueing.
That's something I didn't even think of. That's true. I went to a popular fast food restaurant just last weekend for a to-go order. There were 3 people in line ahead of us, but I still waited over 45 minutes and saw about 2 dozen grubhub orders go out. At a popular station, the digital queue would not be a convenience, but a necessity in order to use it. That is not good for the customer.

...I just don't think it'll work because of human nature...
Fair. Human nature is three imperatives: 1. maximize pleasure, 2. minimize pain, 3. cheapest/easiest way possible.

Systems engineered around this, I suspect, have a greater chance of working and/or adoption.

...Digital queue is an overly complex problem for a situation that is only at select locations...
Let's define a digital queue: I'm thinking about data which populates on the supercharger screen in the car.

Several examples:

1. A motorist clicks on a specific supercharger location to review rates and usage. Tesla already displays [x] of [y] charges in use (and [z] chargers broken, if applicable) as well as peak average times. Adding an additional source of information along the lines of "currently there are [n] cars waiting to charge" seems like an easy first step here. Plus a version of this already exists with the estimated wait time data, as presumably that's some factor of the amount of Tesla's onsite at the SuperCharger and the remaining time for charging cars.

2. Tesla already geofences Service Centers so presumably doing the same for drivers arriving at superchargers should be doable...if they're not already doing it. Something along the lines of, "Welcome to the [ ________ ] SuperCharger. You've been added to the que - there are currently [n] cars in line in front of you and your estimated wait time is about [t] minutes." seems reasonable. The point here is it's easy as the data just pops up and is integrated into screens drivers are already familiar with.

3. Lastly just as the car will already display updates while driving and to a SuperCharger (e.g. Battery preconditioning for faster charging, stay below [ ___ ] MPH, etc.), one could envision something along the lines of, "Your estimated wait time on arrival is [t] minutes based on current data." with Tesla relying on data from both the SuperCharger location as well as motorists who've got the SuperCharger set in their navigation system.

While the first and second examples strike me as no-brainers, this one I'm more doubtful about this but throw it out just as an idea nonetheless...the assumption here is people who intend to use the SuperCharger will set their navigation to it. While this may hold true more often-for-not for rural SuperChargers [read: people doing road-trip], I doubt it's as true for SuperChargers located within cities [read: people who need to charge for their normal needs and therefore may not set the SC as a destination in navigation as they already know how to navigate to the charger].

Reactions: DblOSmith
I wonder if the sub-par charging locations (hotels, large sit-down restaurants, malls, Ikea) are simply out of necessity since they have the power available. In those cases, it's better to have a station with no amenities than no station at all, but hopefully those are minimized.

You can order ahead at Chick-Fil-A and basically cut the drive-thru line (or just go inside and pick up your meal). The lines at Chick-Fil-A are famously long and I wouldn't dream of not using that system. I never considered this a virtual queue, but I guess it is.

I'm not a big Starbucks customer, but we do stop at a Starbucks for coffee on a trip we take each year, and the wait is horrendous (20+ minutes) even though the line is relatively short. Apparently you can now order ahead at Starbucks, and you can bet for sure we will be doing that from now on (nothing like starting out on a 15 hour trip and spending 20 minutes waiting for a damn coffee!)

Had a similar experience at McDonalds (30+ minutes wait for food).

Yes, we will probably eventually get to a point where there is enough redundancy that queues may not exist. But given that charging infrastructure growth is going to lag behind EV adoption growth for probably a decade, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Reactions: kayak1
That's something I didn't even think of. That's true. I went to a popular fast food restaurant just last weekend for a to-go order. There were 3 people in line ahead of us, but I still waited over 45 minutes and saw about 2 dozen grubhub orders go out. At a popular station, the digital queue would not be a convenience, but a necessity in order to use it. That is not good for the customer.
Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but yes, I agree that at a popular (busy) station, a queue would not be just a convenience, but almost a necessity.

I don't quite follow why this is not good for the customer though. It seems to me that it would enhance the customer experience, particularly in the case where one is navigating to the charging station and the system (transparently to the customer) books a slot for you so that by the time you arrive your wait is minimized. And if an acceptable slot is not possible (i.e. the site is so busy that there are already enough cars in the queue that you would have to wait 20+ minutes) it could suggest alternate stops that are less busy and still minimize the total time spent driving+waiting+charging.

How is this not better for the customer as opposed to just winging it and showing up at a site that may or may not have a line that you must then go the back of, and now your trip is unexpectedly 45 minutes longer than you expected.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but yes, I agree that at a popular (busy) station, a queue would not be just a convenience, but almost a necessity.

I don't quite follow why this is not good for the customer though. It seems to me that it would enhance the customer experience, particularly in the case where one is navigating to the charging station and the system (transparently to the customer) books a slot for you so that by the time you arrive your wait is minimized. And if an acceptable slot is not possible (i.e. the site is so busy that there are already enough cars in the queue that you would have to wait 20+ minutes) it could suggest alternate stops that are less busy and still minimize the total time spent driving+waiting+charging.

How is this not better for the customer as opposed to just winging it and showing up at a site that may or may not have a line that you must then go the back of, and now your trip is unexpectedly 45 minutes longer than you expected.
Unlike a virtual queue where you "skip the line" by ordering your food on an app before picking it up, if you've reserved a spot based on arrival time, what happens if you don't get there in time? Do you have a grace period? With food, servers just set it aside where it gradually comes to room temperature, affecting nobody else. If you're not there to claim your spot, valuable charging time goes by while everyone else waits. Plus, what happens if you decide to keep going, or if you actually need to stop earlier? Having to schedule all of your charges in advance will make for a frustrating charging experience. Right now it's about as boring and efficient as possible by just backing in and plugging in, and that's great!

Unlike a virtual queue where you "skip the line" by ordering your food on an app before picking it up, if you've reserved a spot based on arrival time, what happens if you don't get there in time? Do you have a grace period? With food, servers just set it aside where it gradually comes to room temperature, affecting nobody else. If you're not there to claim your spot, valuable charging time goes by while everyone else waits. Plus, what happens if you decide to keep going, or if you actually need to stop earlier? Having to schedule all of your charges in advance will make for a frustrating charging experience. Right now it's about as boring and efficient as possible by just backing in and plugging in, and that's great!
Very easy.

The car (or app if that's the approach that's used) constantly knows where you are and what your arrival time at the station is, so it can dynamically allocate slots and adjust if you get caught up in traffic, take an unexpected side trip, or abandon your visit altogether without canceling the request. For a completely full station, it would assign you the next available slot AFTER you arrive. So there is no empty stall waiting for you to arrive. If you are still 1 minute out and a stall opens up, it assigns it to a person that's already at the site. There would have to be a small grace period (<5 minutes) to allow a person to physically move their vehicle from wherever the car was parked waiting to the stall, but that would generally be minimized by having notifications in the app/car state when you are next in line and to get ready to move your car.

As for scheduling all your charges in advance, whether you realize it or not, we are already doing this simply by navigating to the Supercharger. We do that already to pre-condition the battery if nothing else. All the other handling can be done automatically by the system. And if you don't navigate to the charging station but rather just show up and there is a queue, the car/app can realize that, ask if you want to join the queue, at which time you will be assigned an appropriate slot.

My point is that any situation that involves more human intervention too function for everyone is a step backwards, even if it's an electronic queue. Someone signs up for the queue nearby, but they stay for extra brunch or extra shopping. Are they constantly given that 5-10 min grace period because the navigation says they're so close? When grandma Gladys goes there to fill up and there are lines, how frustrating will that be for her? When someone who doesn't queue up rolls in a plugs in, will they be able to skip or will they be locked out? How frustrating will that be for that jerk? Computering to manage all those factors for millions of vehicles a day across multiple automaker apps? You never have to do any of that using petrol, and you shouldn't have to here. Physical queue is completely self-explanatory, free, easily understood by everyone immediately, easily navigated, intuitive, zero maintenance, requires zero human intervention, will have zero non-use time (waiting for people to return and drive back to charger), etc. etc. ...and if they're expanding and building new chargers, it'll be absolutely unnecessary as people will be rerouted to other SCs anyway. The more I think about it, the worse idea I think it is.

With respect to whoever mentioned it, implementing a queue so you can drop someone off at a bathroom while you wait (or things like that) is such a ridiculous, beyond first world problem. It's too much of an inconvenience to go to the bathroom first, then get in line? Or just drop someone off and have them walk back to you while you wait in line? The idea of apps to order food while you charge is good because that only involves you. An electronic queue in theory would involve everyone which is no good.

...if you've reserved a spot based on arrival time, what happens if you don't get there in time? Do you have a grace period....Right now it's about as boring and efficient as possible by just backing in and plugging in...
...So there is no empty stall waiting for you to arrive...
Don't like the idea at all of reserving a spot; seems like that's overthinking it.

I think we may be over thinking this: when you arrive, you join a line. You know where you are in the line and have a rough estimate of when it'll be your turn. If you want to cut someone (or if someone cuts you) it's unfortunate but there's nothing otherwise to stop this besides common decency (i.e. the Superchargers will charge whatever vehicle they're connected to).

...perhaps it may make sense to take a page from the DMV's book and give people the ability to fall back in line if they opt to do so.

For example, when the #2 car in line → #1 car in line an alert is pushed to the car letting the driver know s/he's up to bat next. If the car is currently unoccupied an alert is pushed to the app asking the driver to return to the car to confirm s/he's next up within 5m. Failing to do so within those 5m will knock that car back in line by one spot and prompt the next car in line that s/he's up to bat.

Goal being to minimize empty time at a full supercharger by making sure either the #1 (or #2 if #1 can't be reached) is ready to go to promptly use a free spot when opened.
As for scheduling all your charges in advance, whether you realize it or not, we are already doing this simply by navigating to the Supercharger.
See this as yes/no.

When I'm on an assignment away from home or a road trip, I generally always take the time to use navigation. As you correctly note, use of navigation to select a supercharger gives TSLA an idea of probable future use and timing thereof.

But in a local context - that is when I'm at home and need to supercharge - I typically don't use navigation as 1) I know where the superchargers are at and 2) it's very impromptu and understanding range/time issues is not as big deal when doing long haul roadtrips.

I think the ideal thing is for TSLA to continue to aggressively build out new supercharger locations and build up existing, high demand ones. More capacity ideally will translate to less waiting, or at least the ability to for drivers to load balance themselves between supercharger locations..."oh this one has a wait? Guess I'll just drive to the one a little further down the road with no wait."...you get the idea.

That said, I also think they'll be 'usual suspects' both in terms of locations (looking at you California) as well as time (e.g. Thanksgiving weekend) where demand will surge and having some basic, simple, easy to understand method to help respectful drivers que up and wait their turn will be a win for all.

Very easy.

The car (or app if that's the approach that's used) constantly knows where you are and what your arrival time at the station is, so it can dynamically allocate slots and adjust if you get caught up in traffic, take an unexpected side trip, or abandon your visit altogether without canceling the request. For a completely full station, it would assign you the next available slot AFTER you arrive. So there is no empty stall waiting for you to arrive. If you are still 1 minute out and a stall opens up, it assigns it to a person that's already at the site. There would have to be a small grace period (<5 minutes) to allow a person to physically move their vehicle from wherever the car was parked waiting to the stall, but that would generally be minimized by having notifications in the app/car state when you are next in line and to get ready to move your car.

As for scheduling all your charges in advance, whether you realize it or not, we are already doing this simply by navigating to the Supercharger. We do that already to pre-condition the battery if nothing else. All the other handling can be done automatically by the system. And if you don't navigate to the charging station but rather just show up and there is a queue, the car/app can realize that, ask if you want to join the queue, at which time you will be assigned an appropriate slot.

Tesla just puts more stalls than it has power for, has a system that can distribute power, and puts people at some very busy sites during peaks.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
My point is that any situation that involves more human intervention too function for everyone is a step backwards, even if it's an electronic queue.
That's a very broad statement that I don't agree with, at least if you really mean the word any that I've highlighted. Our society is chock full of examples where this is not the case. Okay, maybe in many scenarios it's a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing, because it does technically require additional human interaction, but in most cases the benefit outweighs the cost. The question that must be asked is whether the benefits of implementing a digital queue outweigh the additional costs of having to look at your screen to see what stall to pull into (which I think you have to admit is not a huge cost). Even something like idle fee charges at busy stations requires about the same amount of human interaction (reading a notification or looking at your app to see when it's time to move your car and then actually moving it).

And I know your point may be that it requires everyone to use it. Well, is this not the case for a physical queue as well? If there is a physical line of cars, it may not be hard to position yourself in line, but even then you need to be ready to take action and move your car to the next open stall once it opens up. You can't just arrive at the site and pull into a stall that someone is leaving without ascertaining whether a queue exists (in most sites I've been to the layout is not amenable to a physical line, so you may even have to get out of your car and ask around whether other people are in the queue or not). Besides, not everyone does need to use it. If you want to roll the dice and hope you roll up to an empty site, sure, just plug in. The queue would only be implemented if the site was full (or half full for a V2 site, and even then it wouldn't be a fixed queue, but rather just a recommendation for which stall to plug into for optimal speed). But if you do show up at a full site without signaling your intent in advance, you are automatically asked if you want to join the queue, just as if you had arrived at a site with a physical line: you go to the end of the line (whether an actual line, or a collection of cars parked in random spots waiting that you must communicate with the other drivers to figure out who is ahead of you). The primary difference here is that instead of looking for a stall to empty up and noticing that you are next, you would have to look at your car or app to figure out when it was your turn and which stall to use.

Someone signs up for the queue nearby, but they stay for extra brunch or extra shopping. Are they constantly given that 5-10 min grace period because the navigation says they're so close?
That's an implementation detail, but I would say no, one and done. You're out of the queue (or at least occupy the "second to next" position) until you confirm on your screen/app that you are ready to charge. In fact, another possible implementation would be to require confirmation upon arrival that you are ready to charge when you obtain the "next" position and if you do not confirm, the "next" slot is given to the cars behind you until you do. Oh I know, this is more interaction required.

When grandma Gladys goes there to fill up and there are lines, how frustrating will that be for her?
Pretty sure if grandma drives an EV that she has at least a little familiarity with how the car and charging works. I mean she had to know enough to find the charging station using either the car or an app, didn't she? Besides, how would grandma figure out a physical queue, especially at those sites where the cars don't necessarily form a physical line? Do you think she can figure that out, but not a message on her screen that tells her that she is 3rd in line and then eventually tells her to pull into stall 2B? Sure, there may be a slight learning curve the first time she tries to plug into a site and it won't charge, and chances are the person who is actually authorized to use that stall will be on hand to explain it to her.

When someone who doesn't queue up rolls in a plugs in, will they be able to skip or will they be locked out? How frustrating will that be for that jerk?
No, of course they will be locked out. That's the basic functionality of the queue. How frustrating will it be? Probably quite frustrating. If they intentionally tried to cut the line, then that's a good thing that they get frustrated. This is better than a line cutter at a physical queue where either everyone behind them has to just deal with these jerks, or they need to confront the jerk and then who knows what kind of violence may ensue.

Computering to manage all those factors for millions of vehicles a day across multiple automaker apps?
You are over-complicating the system here. The system doesn't need to manage millions of vehicles and all charging stations. Each network (e.g. Supercharger network) needs to manage a queue for each site, and only the cars actively navigating to that site, not ALL cars. Super easy today with the the Supercharger network, as all the necessary functionality could be built into the car's nav system itself. When you navigate to a Supercharger, it adds you to the queue for that site. Introducing other makes of vehicles does make it more complicated because those users (at least today) would need to use the Tesla app to indicate their intent to charge, rather than relying on their in-car nav.

At least initially each network would have their own app that would be used in a similar fashion, but hey, if we are talking about designing an optimal system for the future, why wouldn't it be possible to standardize a communication protocol that in-car systems could use to implement this functionality seamlessly? Yes, now we are getting into the "multiple automaker apps" territory, but if it's standardized (like Plug & Charge for example) it makes the task easier.

You never have to do any of that using petrol, and you shouldn't have to here.
Again, petrol is a different beast. Petrol stations are usually (although not always) situated such that a physical line is evident (but even then, you may get in the "wrong" lane and have to wait an excessive amount of time; and the throughput for a given pump is usually on the order of one car every five minutes. With a charging station, at least the way they are laid out, you don't line up behind a particular stall and then wait perhaps 45-50 minutes for that car to leave. No, you have to join a queue for the entire site. That's already much different than how a petrol station queue works. Second, if you showed up at a petrol station and it looked like the lines were so long that you'd have to wait for 45 minutes, you'd probably just go to a different station across the street. That's not going to be an option for fastchargers for years to come. How much better to be able to signal your intent to visit a given station while en route and book a slot approximately at the same time as you arrive? If there WERE 45 minute lines at petrol stations and there were no other options to fuel up nearby, I can guarantee that the public would be clamoring for this kind of solution.

Physical queue is completely self-explanatory, free, easily understood by everyone immediately, easily navigated, intuitive, zero maintenance, requires zero human intervention, will have zero non-use time (waiting for people to return and drive back to charger), etc. etc. ...and if they're expanding and building new chargers, it'll be absolutely unnecessary as people will be rerouted to other SCs anyway. The more I think about it, the worse idea I think it is.
No, they are not always self-explanatory & understood by everyone. As I've said, many times to layouts are not conducive to physical lines. Parking is limited, so you park where you can around the property, which means everyone has to go around talking to everyone else that they see at the site to figure out who is at the end of the queue so they know who to follow. That's not zero human intervention. And maybe that's easy with Teslas because the cars all look similar, but what when we start seeing more and more brands that we may not even recognize? And how do we tell the difference between an EV that just happens to be parked at the site but not in need of a charge? Or a car that has no passengers that IS in the queue but currently empty because they know they have at least 15 minutes and so have gone inside to use the restroom and grab a snack? And how about a site that does allow for a physical line of cars...now you need to sit in your car for the entire wait to move it forward every few minutes. That too requires excessive human intervention that a digital queue could eliminate, to the benefit of users. Not to mention avoiding confrontations, which unfortunately are starting to get violent, because someone cuts the line either intentionally or unintentionally.
With respect to whoever mentioned it, implementing a queue so you can drop someone off at a bathroom while you wait (or things like that) is such a ridiculous, beyond first world problem. It's too much of an inconvenience to go to the bathroom first, then get in line? Or just drop someone off and have them walk back to you while you wait in line? The idea of apps to order food while you charge is good because that only involves you. An electronic queue in theory would involve everyone which is no good.
Maybe it is a first world problem. But it is real. Yes, I want to take more advantage of the time spent either waiting in the queue or charging and using the restroom/getting something to eat in parallel, not serial. If I'm on a 15 hour road trip, I'd prefer not to have my 70 minutes of estimated charging time increase to 120 because I get stuck in a physical line (with no way to book a slot in advance) and then when I get there I can't immediately join the queue because I really need to use the restroom first, pushing me back an additional 5-10 minutes that I could have been using "productively" by keeping my place in line. People already have a hard enough time with the fact that they think traveling in an EV is going to unnecessarily increase their trip times. If we can't offer a solution to help ease that, there are going to be plenty of frustrated people if sites get busy.

Tesla just puts more stalls than it has power for, has a system that can distribute power, and puts people at some very busy sites during peaks.
This does not help me much (today) on the run along I-81 through NY and PA, a much underserved route. From Tully, NY to Winchester, VA (without a somewhat lengthy diversion) there are no 250kW sites (although Wilkes-Barre and a 2nd Binghamton site in the works will help). And there are very few 150kW sites as well. The logical stop is Moosic, PA, which has been gradually getting busier, and given the general lack of charging (both Tesla and CCS) along that route,, is a site that I suspect will continue to get busier as we start seeing a surge in EVs on the road. There is really no alternative site I can be routed to once I generally commit to that stop (the stretch from Binghamton, NY to Harrisburg, PA (which is a significant diversion off 81, especially during rush hour) is 181 miles, so unless I stop in Binghamton to get a pretty decent charge (something I tend to avoid as it is as that site is already inconvenient), I'm going to be stopping in Moosic whether I like it or not (and I do actually like it--there are some good lunch options there and I usually hit that site right at lunch time). I haven't yet been caught out at that site being completely full, although being a V2 it's almost always over half full nowadays. And actually last April when I arrived it wasn't full, but it was by the time I left. W-B is going to help the situation somewhat, but it will probably be several years before we see enough redundancy along I-81 to be able to practically do the kind of dynamic routing that the system is capable of.

Don't like the idea at all of reserving a spot; seems like that's overthinking it.
It's kind of a hybrid between reserving and queuing. Some people have a problem with a full "reservation", and I get that. What I am envisioning works more like "call ahead seating" except the car (or app) automatically manages the "calling" part. You don't technically have a reservation, but you do have a slot assigned such that when you arrive, you are as close to "next" as possible (it's possible that all slots at your arrival time were already taken, so you would be informed of that and given the option to select an alternate routing if desired).

For example, when the #2 car in line → #1 car in line an alert is pushed to the car letting the driver know s/he's up to bat next. If the car is currently unoccupied an alert is pushed to the app asking the driver to return to the car to confirm s/he's next up within 5m. Failing to do so within those 5m will knock that car back in line by one spot and prompt the next car in line that s/he's up to bat.
Yes, exactly...you described it much better than my attempt.

But in a local context - that is when I'm at home and need to supercharge - I typically don't use navigation as 1) I know where the superchargers are at and 2) it's very impromptu and understanding range/time issues is not as big deal when doing long haul roadtrips.
Sure, this makes sense. But I also suppose that when you're at home, you have some flexibility in when you go charge, since you said it's impromptu. So you decide, hey, I have some time now that I could use to charge my car. I see three possible scenarios:

1. Your local Supercharger is never busy, in which case you just hop into your car and drive to the Supercharger. You arrive to a nearly empty site and plug in and all is good.
  2. Your local Supercharger is hardly ever busy, so again, you hop into your car and drive there, but upon arrival, the site is unexpectedly slammed and there is a queue. The car realizes you are in the vicinity of the site and prompts you to confirm whether you want to join the queue or not. You say yes and go about your day the way you would with a physical queue, except the car prompts you when you are "on deck".
  3. Your local Supercharger is frequently busy, but not always. So as you probably always do, you pop into the app and see how many stalls are currently available and if it makes sense to pop over for a charge. You either see that yes, it's pretty empty right now, so see #1 or #2, or otherwise it tells you that there is a queue and the wait time is approximately ## minutes...would you like to join it? If the timing works out, you might decide to do that, so you confirm and at the right time you depart for the Supercharger, while the app (or car) monitors your travel progress to the site and if you are running behind for someone, it adjusts the queue, giving your slot to someone closer (or actually there) and bumping you back the appropriate amount.
I think the ideal thing is for TSLA to continue to aggressively build out new supercharger locations and build up existing, high demand ones. More capacity ideally will translate to less waiting, or at least the ability to for drivers to load balance themselves between supercharger locations..."oh this one has a wait? Guess I'll just drive to the one a little further down the road with no wait."...you get the idea.
I hear ya, but with Ford/GM/??? vehicles that will be entering the fray, not to mention ever increasing numbers of Teslas, I think it will be many years before we reach that ideal equilibrium. I've already cited one case along I-81 in PA that is woefully underserved, and while there is a bit of relief in the works, it's not going to offer complete relief, nor do I think it will for many years.

And keep in mind we are talking about Supercharger sites which more often than not are actually adequately sized. Non-Tesla sites, on the other hand, are typically tiny by comparison and have even more problems with establishing good physical queues. I refer you to the Electrify America site in Bedford, PA as a prime example: Sheetz 352 | Bedford, PA | EV Station

There is some relief in that area with a Supercharger site added to the north in Claysburg, PA, but if you are either coming from the north on I-99, or traveling along the PA Turnpike (and want to avoid Breezewood--the nightmare of all exits!) you might in fact be forced to this tiny little site. I mean look at the Plugshare entry: there are 1,434 checkins as of this writing. How many other Plugshare sites do you see that have that many checkins? It is a BUSY station! And check out the layout:
1686753055779.png

This tiny little parking lot that I've circled in red is where the charging stations are. This is also where the employees of the Sheetz and overflow parking for that store is. The stations occupy most of the parking spots on the right, leaving only about 8 spots to queue in (you cannot form a physical queue at this site as you would be blocking the entrance to that little lot), and usually some of those spots are in use by non-EVs. It's a total nightmare.

Yes, one solution is to build out more redundancy. The problem with this area, however, (and many exits along the PA Turnpike are similar) is that there are a lot of very small minimally sized lots with small parking lots not amenable to large sites (if space were available, there should probably be 24-32 stalls in this town). And all these businesses are not going to want to dedicate more than two spots for EVs as they already have limited parking. EA was probably lucky to squeeze in 4 stalls at this Sheetz. There are some decent parking lots a bit to the south, and maybe an enterprising business owner will realize that they could make a killing by attracting EV owners with a large site, but for now, it doesn't seem to behappening.

I've queued at this site before, and it all started quite peacefully. We arrived at the site with 3 cars already in the queue. We had to exit the vehicle and go around to others parked there and ask if they were queuing and what position they were in to ascertain out spot. Fortunately it was a nice day out so not a big deal. So far so good. But it all went south with the car that came after us and things turned into a complete shouting match when they just rolled up into a spot that was being vacated.

So yes, one solution here is probably to build out a whole bunch of other small-scale sites (honestly, there is just no room for large sites at this exit) to spread the load around. But even then, wouldn't it be nice to be able to get a decent picture of the situation BEFORE we arrived, and even better, book a slot at a preferred site? Maybe we prefer the Wendy's as opposed to the McDonald's across the busy street. The alternative is that we arrive at this town needing a charge. Yes, there are many options available, but do we need to drive around to all of them hoping to find an empty stall, only to further waste time searching? Or even if there are no empty stalls, it's going to take some time to figure out which queue is the shortest (it's not like a gas station where you can get an easy sense of how long the lines are because the cars are physically lined up). And you may even find a site that doesn't have any queue, so you pick that, but then you find out that the 2 cars charging just started charging and will be there for 45 minutes, but the one across the street that had one car in the queue 3 minutes ago now had both cars finish up charging leaving an empty stall (which you don't actually know about because you're now waiting in the queue at Wendy's. How convenient it would have been to be able to pick a site while en route and have a slot allocated such that wait time was minimized upon arrival?

It's kind of a hybrid between reserving and queuing...when you arrive, you are as close to "next" as possible.
Gotcha. Think I see where you're coming from.

Here's the question I have for that: how does Tesla balance out no-shows in this case?

For example, SC users onsite probably have a high degree of certainty they'll use the supercharger but one who's not onsite - but communicates their intent to Tesla to be onsite - may or may not make it. Traffic, plans changing, etc. all are reasonable events that would otherwise make someone a no-show hence there has to be some discount to the probability of queuing someone who intends to charge at [x] location but is not yet at [x] location.

Not saying there's not an elegant way to balance this out...the thought of how airlines overselling flights come to mind...but would respectfully submit this may be a 'phase 2' implementation vs a 'phase 1'.

Yes, exactly...you described it much better than my attempt.
Thanks - first saw this at my DMV of all places. That hotbed of innovation...go figure! They have a system where you can 'que online' so it'll still be 3-4 hours before it's your turn but when you're about 30m from the front of the line they send a text giving you a heads up. This allows you to drive to the DMV and they even let you ask to be bumped back if you need more time. Clever.

Hence the idea for the #1 spot requirement to confirm - i.e. ready to charge immediately - and the #2 spot to be the holding pattern for those who may need a little more time.

Also note the idea of dynamic #2 opens the door to queing but not being onsite (see the prior point) but again would suggest Tesla first work out the basics before moving on to the more advanced ideas.
I hear ya, but with Ford/GM/??? vehicles that will be entering the fray, not to mention ever increasing numbers of Teslas, I think it will be many years before we reach that ideal equilibrium. I've already cited one case along I-81 in PA that is woefully underserved, and while there is a bit of relief in the works, it's not going to offer complete relief, nor do I think it will for many years.
Yes - demand will undoubtedly uptick. As long as new supply upticks at a quicker pace than new demand, we'll be in a better spot.

The bargain here being additional resources from Ford/GM/[whoever] will allow TSLA to bring more supercharger locations online in a timely manner to withstand the anticipated tsunami of demand from non-Tesla's.

And keep in mind we are talking about Supercharger sites which more often than not are actually adequately sized.
True - but with more demand through SC's one would assume there's a level of increased attractiveness from some hosts/potential hosts too. Ironically if the mega gas stations (Buc-ee's, WawWaws, etc) may be valuable allies to EVs, at least outside the cities, as they'll have EV chargers for ~20+ minutes which is ample time for drivers to buy soda-pops, food, etc.

In the case I-81 (or similar heavily traveled interstates), my assumption is they'll already have travel stops [read: large/mega gas stations] and therefore the play seems to get them to host a SuperCharger - ideally a large one - with the sweetener being all those captive drivers (and now not just Tesla!) who'll be looking to patronize the host.

Of course, this assumes the real estate to do so and that's not always the case as you note but throwing it out as an idea of what to focus on.

Perhapes we'll see a hybrid system of sorts where 1 or 2 large (40+) Superchargers installed at travel centers with excess land between major metros supplemented by small (>15 stalls) at other locations unable to otherwise accommodate a larger build-out. In-car navigation can favor the 1 or 2 large superchargers and reserve the smaller stations for those who're low and/or specifically want to stop there.

Gotcha. Think I see where you're coming from.

Here's the question I have for that: how does Tesla balance out no-shows in this case?

For example, SC users onsite probably have a high degree of certainty they'll use the supercharger but one who's not onsite - but communicates their intent to Tesla to be onsite - may or may not make it. Traffic, plans changing, etc. all are reasonable events that would otherwise make someone a no-show hence there has to be some discount to the probability of queuing someone who intends to charge at [x] location but is not yet at [x] location.
I think the key is that you would be always assigned the "on deck" slot until you are actually on site and confirm, so there should not be a case where a stall sits unused for longer than it takes to drive to the stall from the same parking lot and back in, as if you weren't actually there and ready at the expected time, the person behind you would get your slot.

And the nice thing about having it integrated into the car (or the app with location tracking turned on) is that it would be monitoring your progress traveling to the site and adjust your slot based on your expected arrival time.

This isn't a whole lot different than the way Chick-Fil-A and other apps that have location tracking available. Because of the fast food nature of Chick-Fil-A, it actually monitors your location and when you are close, that is when they actually start making your meal. And during the pandemic, curbside grocery pickup at Publix (I think) would monitor your location as you drove to the store such that all you had to do was pull up and they would meet you with your groceries. No human interaction required after placing the initial order.

Thanks - first saw this at my DMV of all places. That hotbed of innovation...go figure! They have a system where you can 'que online' so it'll still be 3-4 hours before it's your turn but when you're about 30m from the front of the line they send a text giving you a heads up. This allows you to drive to the DMV and they even let you ask to be bumped back if you need more time. Clever.
I think the GreatClips app works like this (although wait times are not usually that long, although they can be over an hour). You can check in online and I think it tells you when to leave your current location to get to the store in time for your slot.

Yes - demand will undoubtedly uptick. As long as new supply upticks at a quicker pace than new demand, we'll be in a better spot.
Are you talking about supply of charging? At best I see it keeping pace, but I fear that demand is going to outstrip pace as we are about to see a vast uptick in EV sales, and I don't think we are going to see a corresponding uptick in charging station infrastructure. As I said, I would estimate probably a decade before we reach equilibrium on this.

The bargain here being additional resources from Ford/GM/[whoever] will allow TSLA to bring more supercharger locations online in a timely manner to withstand the anticipated tsunami of demand from non-Tesla's.
Of course. But even though Tesla has perfected SC site installs to a science, they are constrained by the speed at which government entities and utilities operate, not to mention finding suitable host sites (although I do think that's about to get a whole lot easier as the dominos will start to fall with various travel centers and convenience store chains realizing they don't want to be late to the party--which is your next point).

In the case I-81 (or similar heavily traveled interstates), my assumption is they'll already have travel stops [read: large/mega gas stations] and therefore the play seems to get them to host a SuperCharger - ideally a large one - with the sweetener being all those captive drivers (and now not just Tesla!) who'll be looking to patronize the host.
That section of I-81 is pretty much devoid of convenient facilities, and until last year the sole rest area on one particular stretch was closed, meaning it was a bladder-buster stretch. You would think that competitive pressures would create an opportunity for a travel center, but for some reason there is not. That section of PA can be weird like that. Back in the day I was running low on gas and got off at an exit only to be shuttled onto this weird divided highway that went 2 miles to the middle of nowhere before reaching a gas station.

That's a very broad statement that I don't agree with, at least if you really mean the word any that I've highlighted. Our society is chock full of examples where this is not the case. Okay, maybe in many scenarios it's a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing, because it does technically require additional human interaction, but in most cases the benefit outweighs the cost. The question that must be asked is whether the benefits of implementing a digital queue outweigh the additional costs of having to look at your screen to see what stall to pull into (which I think you have to admit is not a huge cost). Even something like idle fee charges at busy stations requires about the same amount of human interaction (reading a notification or looking at your app to see when it's time to move your car and then actually moving it).

And I know your point may be that it requires everyone to use it. Well, is this not the case for a physical queue as well? If there is a physical line of cars, it may not be hard to position yourself in line, but even then you need to be ready to take action and move your car to the next open stall once it opens up. You can't just arrive at the site and pull into a stall that someone is leaving without ascertaining whether a queue exists (in most sites I've been to the layout is not amenable to a physical line, so you may even have to get out of your car and ask around whether other people are in the queue or not). Besides, not everyone does need to use it. If you want to roll the dice and hope you roll up to an empty site, sure, just plug in. The queue would only be implemented if the site was full (or half full for a V2 site, and even then it wouldn't be a fixed queue, but rather just a recommendation for which stall to plug into for optimal speed). But if you do show up at a full site without signaling your intent in advance, you are automatically asked if you want to join the queue, just as if you had arrived at a site with a physical line: you go to the end of the line (whether an actual line, or a collection of cars parked in random spots waiting that you must communicate with the other drivers to figure out who is ahead of you). The primary difference here is that instead of looking for a stall to empty up and noticing that you are next, you would have to look at your car or app to figure out when it was your turn and which stall to use.

That's an implementation detail, but I would say no, one and done. You're out of the queue (or at least occupy the "second to next" position) until you confirm on your screen/app that you are ready to charge. In fact, another possible implementation would be to require confirmation upon arrival that you are ready to charge when you obtain the "next" position and if you do not confirm, the "next" slot is given to the cars behind you until you do. Oh I know, this is more interaction required.

Pretty sure if grandma drives an EV that she has at least a little familiarity with how the car and charging works. I mean she had to know enough to find the charging station using either the car or an app, didn't she? Besides, how would grandma figure out a physical queue, especially at those sites where the cars don't necessarily form a physical line? Do you think she can figure that out, but not a message on her screen that tells her that she is 3rd in line and then eventually tells her to pull into stall 2B? Sure, there may be a slight learning curve the first time she tries to plug into a site and it won't charge, and chances are the person who is actually authorized to use that stall will be on hand to explain it to her.

No, of course they will be locked out. That's the basic functionality of the queue. How frustrating will it be? Probably quite frustrating. If they intentionally tried to cut the line, then that's a good thing that they get frustrated. This is better than a line cutter at a physical queue where either everyone behind them has to just deal with these jerks, or they need to confront the jerk and then who knows what kind of violence may ensue.

You are over-complicating the system here. The system doesn't need to manage millions of vehicles and all charging stations. Each network (e.g. Supercharger network) needs to manage a queue for each site, and only the cars actively navigating to that site, not ALL cars. Super easy today with the the Supercharger network, as all the necessary functionality could be built into the car's nav system itself. When you navigate to a Supercharger, it adds you to the queue for that site. Introducing other makes of vehicles does make it more complicated because those users (at least today) would need to use the Tesla app to indicate their intent to charge, rather than relying on their in-car nav.

At least initially each network would have their own app that would be used in a similar fashion, but hey, if we are talking about designing an optimal system for the future, why wouldn't it be possible to standardize a communication protocol that in-car systems could use to implement this functionality seamlessly? Yes, now we are getting into the "multiple automaker apps" territory, but if it's standardized (like Plug & Charge for example) it makes the task easier.

Again, petrol is a different beast. Petrol stations are usually (although not always) situated such that a physical line is evident (but even then, you may get in the "wrong" lane and have to wait an excessive amount of time; and the throughput for a given pump is usually on the order of one car every five minutes. With a charging station, at least the way they are laid out, you don't line up behind a particular stall and then wait perhaps 45-50 minutes for that car to leave. No, you have to join a queue for the entire site. That's already much different than how a petrol station queue works. Second, if you showed up at a petrol station and it looked like the lines were so long that you'd have to wait for 45 minutes, you'd probably just go to a different station across the street. That's not going to be an option for fastchargers for years to come. How much better to be able to signal your intent to visit a given station while en route and book a slot approximately at the same time as you arrive? If there WERE 45 minute lines at petrol stations and there were no other options to fuel up nearby, I can guarantee that the public would be clamoring for this kind of solution.

No, they are not always self-explanatory & understood by everyone. As I've said, many times to layouts are not conducive to physical lines. Parking is limited, so you park where you can around the property, which means everyone has to go around talking to everyone else that they see at the site to figure out who is at the end of the queue so they know who to follow. That's not zero human intervention. And maybe that's easy with Teslas because the cars all look similar, but what when we start seeing more and more brands that we may not even recognize? And how do we tell the difference between an EV that just happens to be parked at the site but not in need of a charge? Or a car that has no passengers that IS in the queue but currently empty because they know they have at least 15 minutes and so have gone inside to use the restroom and grab a snack? And how about a site that does allow for a physical line of cars...now you need to sit in your car for the entire wait to move it forward every few minutes. That too requires excessive human intervention that a digital queue could eliminate, to the benefit of users. Not to mention avoiding confrontations, which unfortunately are starting to get violent, because someone cuts the line either intentionally or unintentionally.

Maybe it is a first world problem. But it is real. Yes, I want to take more advantage of the time spent either waiting in the queue or charging and using the restroom/getting something to eat in parallel, not serial. If I'm on a 15 hour road trip, I'd prefer not to have my 70 minutes of estimated charging time increase to 120 because I get stuck in a physical line (with no way to book a slot in advance) and then when I get there I can't immediately join the queue because I really need to use the restroom first, pushing me back an additional 5-10 minutes that I could have been using "productively" by keeping my place in line. People already have a hard enough time with the fact that they think traveling in an EV is going to unnecessarily increase their trip times. If we can't offer a solution to help ease that, there are going to be plenty of frustrated people if sites get busy.
Thanks for the long responses. I enjoy this conversation! But we're talking in circles. I will just agree to disagree. :) You're in NC? We should meet halfway in Atlanta or something and meet for drinks. Hash this out in person. First round is on me if you're interested. Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: RTPEV