Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notice of Non-renewal of Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AZ - 250 comp/500 collision with State Farm
$1224 annually ($1000 comp/collision would be about $1160 annually so I left it at 250/500)
Latest renewal saw a ~2% DECREASE in premium.
We have everything with SF (Home, cars, umbrella, personal articles)
No accidents, clean record, been with SF for 15 years.

That should be all the relevant info. Shocking to hear SF all over the board. We're happy with them.

AZ - 250 comp/500 collision with State Farm
$1224 annually ($1000 comp/collision would be about $1160 annually so I left it at 250/500)
Latest renewal saw a ~2% DECREASE in premium.
We have everything with SF (Home, cars, umbrella, personal articles)
No accidents, clean record, been with SF for 15 years.

That should be all the relevant info. Shocking to hear SF all over the board. We're happy with them.

I have cars, 2 homes, and umbrella with SF. I've alway had a solid experience with them, I previously posted my coverage on my 550. I just want to know how they are going rate the Tesla but based on your pricing, it should be in line with what I'm paying on my BMW.

I have cars, 2 homes, and umbrella with SF. I've alway had a solid experience with them, I previously posted my coverage on my 550. I just want to know how they are going rate the Tesla but based on your pricing, it should be in line with what I'm paying on my BMW.

After being a State Farm customer for many years, I looked into Liberty Mutual as my employer gets a discount through them. 4 vehicles, home, and umbrella was nearly $1,000 less per year than my 4 vehicles and home from State Farm (without the umbrella). I offered my agent (a family friend) the opportunity to try to match, he said he couldn't come close.

After being a State Farm customer for many years, I looked into Liberty Mutual as my employer gets a discount through them. 4 vehicles, home, and umbrella was nearly $1,000 less per year than my 4 vehicles and home from State Farm (without the umbrella). I offered my agent (a family friend) the opportunity to try to match, he said he couldn't come close.

Wow! Aren't they the ones with "accident forgiveness"?

What I would suggest everyone do is call your local Tesla authorized repair shop and ask the estimator which insurance company pay their claims without a battle.

Normal shop rates are around $55 hr, certified Tesla repairs charge around $110 hr because they have to go to special training by Tesla. Some insurance companies will not pay the higher rate,leaving you stuck paying the difference.

Wow! Aren't they the ones with "accident forgiveness"?

LM has a bunch of different options from which you can choose. They have a "new car replacement" option that manages the "instant depreciation" you experience, where if you have an accident within a month of buying the car you won't receive enough money to buy the same car again.

I think many companies do a form of "accident forgiveness", but Allstate tends to be the most notable because of Dennis Haysbert's voice.

Speaking of Chubb (and apologies if I am in the wrong thread), I received a 50% increase on collision insurance for a 2015 Model S last week from Chubb. The broker said "The increase in premium is due to an ISO update that Chubb received, which revised the Collision Symbol of the vehicle, which in turn has revised their ratings of Tesla." I have asked what that actually means but in the meantime when I protested, they wouldn't budge but did offer a reduction of homeowner's premium that covered about half the auto insurance increase!. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

• Informative
Reactions: Austral
I think we need to dispel the myth that car insurance is here to help you. It's a company, protecting it's bottom line.

If anything, maybe we should feel bad for them. When cars are self driving, and a human driven car crashes into one (fault of human)... how will they jack up the rates of the person *not* driving?

Auto Insurance will be seriously disrupted over the next 20 years as FSD enables cars on demand. Removes human mistakes, etc. etc.

But for now, be sure to legally maneuver in your personal best interest as the insurance company will always do the same.

Anyone know what a 3 will be for insurance? If a S can be totaled in a (medium?) crash... a good baseball bat from an ex-girlfriend might be able to total out a 3 that was $35,000 new...

I call BS... I had a no fault accident years ago, hit a chunk of metal in the road that had fallen out of a truck a few cars in front of me, and no matter who I called each and every one of them hit me for the no-fault accident. I called 9 different companies...

Jeff

I've had the opposite experience. In fact, every time I've ever shopped for insurance and am asked about my accident history, I've only ever been asked if I was in any at fault accidents in the previous three years.

not your fault? who hit the debris in the road?

Yea...no. I was following a work truck in the center lane once in my prius and a piece of rebar fell out of the truck. I was at least 9 car lengths behind it yet there were cars on either side of me. As it bounced towards me there was no way to avoid it. No way to swerve. No way to brake fast enough. It hit the right side of my front bumper.

Was that my fault?

In fact, every time I've ever shopped for insurance and am asked about my accident history, I've only ever been asked if I was in any at fault accidents in the previous three years.
Lucky you. I've had the experience that a non-at-fault accident (I was rear-ended, the other driver admitted 100% fault) caused my insurance rates to go up when I tried to switch companies.

When they'd find out I was in an accident (don't care who was at fault), "oh, sorry, we can't give you the good driver discount". I don't think they can legally raise rates for a not-at-fault accident, but they just screw me on discounts.

Same when I got quotes online, as soon as I put in a non-at-fault accident, prices go up.

So it's highly YMMV.

What I would suggest everyone do is call your local Tesla authorized repair shop and ask the estimator which insurance company pay their claims without a battle.

Normal shop rates are around $55 hr, certified Tesla repairs charge around $110 hr because they have to go to special training by Tesla. Some insurance companies will not pay the higher rate,leaving you stuck paying the difference.

Brooks Motor Cars which does ONLY teslas as they are right next to the factory is certified by Tesla(obviously) and charges $70 / hour in labor.

I've had the opposite experience. In fact, every time I've ever shopped for insurance and am asked about my accident history, I've only ever been asked if I was in any at fault accidents in the previous three years.

I just quoted with Ameriprise via their Costco member program. It asked me for my accident history over the last *6* years. Well, I've been rear-ended 3 times in the last 6 years, none of them my fault in any way. Each one of these accidents increased my annual premiums by $200 with Ameriprise. You could go in and delete each one and watch the rates change. It basically doubled my rates.

All of these accidents happened more than 3 years ago. I have zero claims in the last 3 years, and no infractions.

Why was $1407 cheap? Heck my P85DL is only $1200 / year with million dollar liability limits.
I had LM for ~8 years, but in the last few years, they were trying to raise my rates 20-25% every year! One of those years they tried to literally double my auto rate until I balked. They then told me if I allowed my premium to be auto-payed monthly from my bank account, it would go back to what it was. I dumped them the next year when they tried the 25% increase bit again. I'm with Farmers now. So far, so good, although, there was a ~10% increase for both of my policies this year. Might have to start looking again when the Model 3 shows up. (I don't own a Tesla yet)