Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this problem for a while but recently it has gotten significantly worse. After the last update I cannot charge at home! In the past it would charge for a while, then stop and automatically start. Now it starts charging, goes up to 29 mph (max it hits at home) then stops. I had it plugged in overnight and got, literally 1 mile of charge added. I tried unplugging it from the wall and car and starting over and it still stops. On the app it shows stopped and when I request to start it says "Start Charing Failed" charging already requested. This is what would happen in the past and it would start charging on its own and eventually get to full charge.

Somebody on TOO (reported in the software build v11.1 2023.27.* thread - problem & solution?) just had this same problem associated with the latest Android app update and the WiFi connected wall connector.

Apparently, the scheduled charging option in the wall connector software interferes with immediate charging when plugged in or commanded via the app. There might be more to it but that’s just off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I am using level 2 charging, with a range/dryer style outlet. I have not tried charing other places. If I keep unplugging it and plugging it back in eventually it does not "trip" and stop. It is not a wifi outlet.

I did supercharging today with no issues.

The Wall Connector is hard wired to the circuit breaker (must be non GFCI type) in the main panel . The mobile connector is connected to a GFCI outlet. In my home, the cooktop, the oven (Never used) and dryer are wired to 3 different non GFCI outlets, identified by their breakers in the panel.
To my knowledge, outlets in garage or outside the home have to be GFCI protected. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Sounds more like an electrical problem than a software issue. When you want to solve an issue like this, it helps to try and isolate the exact issue... so start by plugging your Mobile Connector into a totally different outlet, 110v if needed. Or try at a friend's house.

If the issue persists, then it's likely related to the Mobile Connector. If the issue subsides, then it's likely related to the electrical circuit that you're plugging the Mobile Connector into.

Reactions: XPsionic
I also suggest isolating the problem. I believe you stated you have a Mobile Connector, therefore:

1. The circuit should have a GFIC breaker. This is required unless this is an existing old outlet.
  2. I suggest checking the connections at both the breaker and the outlet, if they have become loose problems like you mentioned can happen.
  3. If you are using a Leviton outlet, change it! These are not suitable for use for a continuous load. Replace it with a Hubbell or Bryant outlet, about $80.
  4. Make sure when the connector is plugged in it is not “dangling” from the outlet. You need something like this to relieve any tension

Good luck!

Reactions: XPsionic
Before submitting a service request with Tesla you need to try charging via 120V and supercharging. Then try L2 charging elsewhere too. Eliminating variables is a lost art.
There's one house I visit where my Tesla frequently trips the GFIC outlet. If I lived there would I have opened a service request with Tesla? No. There's something wrong with the electrical supply.

Reactions: XPsionic and ATPMSD
It's not the GFCI, guys. The OP said it started and stopped automatically for a while, before finally giving up entirely (more or less)... nothing about recetting GFCI or circuit breaker.

Try charging on a public L2 charging station - either Tesla or third party. If you have the same isssues there, the problem is most likely a failed Power Conversion System, which is the AC (alternating current; not air conditioning) charging component. It's expensive to replace. The car will still DC charge (Supercharge) just fine but you won't be able to AC (home) charge.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4