Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern California PW installs BUMPED to 2020!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took out a contract with Peterson-Dean for a PW2 in Feb of 2019 with an install date of "approximately July 12". I had asked if they actually had batteries available to which they said yes. Some 3 months later they Emailed me saying that Tesla had lifted its suspension of PWs. Lie # 1. On July 3 they said they were waiting on the permit. Lie #2. They didn't even apply for it until August 8, practically a month after the contract delivery date. October came and still no battery and no date to install. I got to sit thru 3 multi-day PSPS (Public Safety Power Shutoffs) in the dark while Peterson-Dean sat on my money. As of November 18 the installation was still not scheduled and as far as IO was concerned the project was in a "Black Hole". I sent in my cancellation and refund demand on the 19th. It's now January 2020 and in spite of repeated inquiries there has been no response that meant anything. I have taken out a contract with another supplier. We'll see how that goes.

So it's not just Tesla, or maybe it is if they are just poor at supplying batteries, but that doesn't justify the fibbers I got from Peterson-Dean.

one of the guys that owns (or at least used to own) PD lives around the corner from me and about a month ago i saw a non-PD company replacing the solar panels on his roof. that made me laugh.

in other news my rep tells me that the 4% rebate (to cover the step-down of the 30% credit to 26%) was only available to a select few installs with extenuating circumstances (not sure really what could be extenuating about this situation...) IDK if it's worth trying to keep pushing on this.

In my case I had a install date for a month and the week before they told me that they would have to reschedule out a month which was the first install date of the new year.

i guess that's what i meant, i had an install date of 12/13 given to me in early november and was told i needed to reschedule on 12/7. not sure how this is materially different than your situation. the first appointment they had on 12/7 was for 2/13/2020.

Passed my inspection with the county this AM in the middle of pouring rain. This was to be expected of course because the plans were approved back in Nov and even modified (they did not need another panel) last week after install. Now on to PG&E, whatever they want.

Just following up we passed the county inspection now we just need PG&E to give us the ok to turn on.

We got the permits all approved last year and the county has not inspected them yet so we shall see. But I don’t anticipate any issues.
@Cstreet ;
Was there any indication from the permitting folks or perhaps inspectors about the new fire code in CA and battery installs?

That’s not a great sign. My powerwalls have slowly dropped to 0% single the solar is not on yet but they are pulling 0.5 - 1.2 kWH a day from the grid. I assume/hope they are keeping themselves protected while I patiently wait for PGE.

Why wouldnt you just turn the powerwalls off (at the breakers) since you cant use the solar now? There isnt any reason to have the powerwalls on in this case that I can think of...

Why don't you just flip the switch. I never waited for PG&E to give me the OK.

In his case, since he already has an interconnect agreement with the utility, there is likely no way they will notice it. If its a new install, and someone does not have an interconnect agreement yet the utility "could" penalize a person for turning their system on prematurely. Especially if you start feeding back to the grid, they can easily tell.

Doesnt mean they "will" just that they "can". In @mattack4000 specific case, since he already has an interconnect agreement it would be hard for them to tell, and they already have "proof" that he has proper setup etc already, with an already in place interconnect.

I would likely turn on my system too, in his case.

OMG. PG&E said they have no record of any application?

Lol.. Not surprising... I would check with your tesla energy rep to ensure they submitted it. In any case, in your case its all just paperwork because you have an interconnect already with them. Assuming your inspection was passed (which I think you said it was?) then if it was me I would just turn it on and let them sort it out later.

If it was a new install, I wouldnt, but in your case I definitely would....

Called them, they are like oh yeah there is something wrong with the city paperwork. Sigh, waited 2 weeks too.

I almost never generate enough to give back, I am generating enough to keep my usage to minimal as my nanny is starting to charge her car at my house during the day

Called them, they are like oh yeah there is something wrong with the city paperwork. Sigh, waited 2 weeks too.

I almost never generate enough to give back, I am generating enough to keep my usage to minimal as my nanny is starting to charge her car at my house during the day
Sorry this is happening to you. This is exactly why I said you should call to make sure it's all in order. Tesla frequently needs nudging to get everything filed correctly from all involved parties.