Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-PUP with a PUP Feature? + Other MX Quirks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a non-PUP (regret now) MX. While reading the manual I came across a sentence that states that if equipped with PUP, the drivers door can be closed by pressing the break pedal. Strange then that I have this feature in my non-PUP MX (not complaining, of course!) or is the owner manual incorrect?

Couple of quirks I noticed with autopilot and also adaptive cruise:

1. I had just passed a large tree with a branch sticking out in the direction of the road a bit, and there was a loud emergency sound with a message to take immediate control of the car! Any ideas why?

2. Does autopilot lane change work only on the freeways? I was in a 50 zone and it refused to change lanes even when there was no one else anywhere close to my car.

3. When I used adaptive cruise in a 40 zone I think, light traffic, a big car in front was turning right and there were cars parked on the street. Suddenly my car alarmed and stopped abruptly, and luckily I didn't have anyone behind me to rear-end my MX!:eek:

4. Does your MX come to a complete stop when you let go of the accelerator i.e. engage regenerative breaking or do you have to press a bit hard on the break to see the 'H' for complete stop?

Is there a way to report the software quirks to Tesla?

Door close on brake, doesn't require PUP. Auto lane change usually only works on divided highways, if the display shows an adjacent lane while using autopilot, it'll lane change. As for the braking due to street parking, that's probably an improvement since other cars have hit parked cars in that type of situation. Regen doesn't stop the car completely, it disengages under 6 mph and you need to brake manually.

Door close on brake press is standard on all model X as far as I know, my non PuP has it.

Regenerative braking will take our Model X almost down to a stop, need brakes for the last few mph. I do use Hill hold when sitting at lights or traffic.

I have a non-PUP (regret now) MX. While reading the manual I came across a sentence that states that if equipped with PUP, the drivers door can be closed by pressing the break pedal. Strange then that I have this feature in my non-PUP MX (not complaining, of course!) or is the owner manual incorrect?

Couple of quirks I noticed with autopilot and also adaptive cruise:

1. I had just passed a large tree with a branch sticking out in the direction of the road a bit, and there was a loud emergency sound with a message to take immediate control of the car! Any ideas why?

2. Does autopilot lane change work only on the freeways? I was in a 50 zone and it refused to change lanes even when there was no one else anywhere close to my car.

3. When I used adaptive cruise in a 40 zone I think, light traffic, a big car in front was turning right and there were cars parked on the street. Suddenly my car alarmed and stopped abruptly, and luckily I didn't have anyone behind me to rear-end my MX!:eek:

4. Does your MX come to a complete stop when you let go of the accelerator i.e. engage regenerative breaking or do you have to press a bit hard on the break to see the 'H' for complete stop?

Is there a way to report the software quirks to Tesla?

1. That was an AEB (auto emergency brake) warning. You can set the sensitivity of this warning to 3 different levels.

2. Basically yes, it's currently geofenced out on most other roads. When auto lane-change is active you will see a dashed line appear on the road display when you indicate to switch lanes and then the car will start to move over. If the line stays solid it isn't going to work.

3. That was AEB actually working (don't use adaptive cruise when there are parked cars on the street in your lane)

4. No, regen works down to about 2 or 3 mph. Also you may have creep switched on which simulates a conventional ICE auto. Pressing the brake whilst stopped initiates Hill-Hold (the "H" you see on the dash display)

Door closing with the brake pedal is standard on all MX, it's not a PUP specific feature.

5. Autopilot works like a charm even off the freeways. I was on a moderate to super windy street and it worked great until it got to a point where there was a left turn (newly painted white line) and it wanted to take that left instead of staying in the lane going straight. I tried the same road twice to test it and the same thing, it just wanted to turn left! It would be good to be able to somehow inform the Tesla tech team (or maybe they already have the data since I agreed to share data in the car settings?).

5. Autopilot works like a charm even off the freeways. I was on a moderate to super windy street and it worked great until it got to a point where there was a left turn (newly painted white line) and it wanted to take that left instead of staying in the lane going straight. I tried the same road twice to test it and the same thing, it just wanted to turn left! It would be good to be able to somehow inform the Tesla tech team (or maybe they already have the data since I agreed to share data in the car settings?).

AP isn't clever or aware of which direction you intend to drive, it just follows the nearest white lines ahead as it sees them. The tech team at Tesla are already going to be well aware of this, so I wouldn't worry about it! They are only interested in hearing about anomalies that are rare and particularly unusual or dangerous. Sudden swerving into openings on the left is the main issue people are having at the moment, but it's so common that Tesla must be totally aware of it already.

If you press the voice command, you can say "note <your message>" or "bug report <your message>" to send them feedback. I presume that telemetry, including location, is sent along with the report. There's no guarantee they'll fix the problem individually, but it does mean they'll have the data available to do so if they want to (and if they're not interested in it, that probably means they already have enough data on similar problems, so it'll likely get fixed eventually anyway).

• Informative
Reactions: bayx and Bogobec