Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nominations for superchargers Melbourne to Adelaide and SA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to Adelaide on the 9th of march from Castlemaine. Any one got any idea how to do it?
G'day Davide, A tough one ! At the moment, and stretching your range very severely, is to overnight at the winery destination charger (HPWC) in Coonawarra (requiring paid accommodation) & then on to Adelaide the following day, with the Burnside Shopping Centre HPWC your first port of call in the City of Churches.

G'day Davide, A tough one ! At the moment, and stretching your range very severely, is to overnight at the winery destination charger (HPWC) in Coonawarra (requiring paid accommodation) & then on to Adelaide the following day, with the Burnside Shopping Centre HPWC your first port of call in the City of Churches.

I did Adelaide to Melbourne. Contact Rob at Bacchus Marsh on the Plugshare app for a quick top up, then drive very gently to Raidis Estate's destination charger at Penola with an overnight stay at a nearby motel. Then drive very gently to Adelaide. It's doable but slow.

Once you hit the start of the freeway decline you will make considerable power during descent, enough to get halfway across the city.

It's a 300km gap so they definitely will have one. Ordinarily I would say I am 100% sure it will be at Ballarat but I was also 100% sure the Euroa SC would be at Seymour... Tesla might "do a Euroa" and put one at Beaufort.

Agree with this list and I think Ballarat would be needed for sure. It's only 118km from Richmond's SC, but it's all uphill and need to go over the Ballan hill along the Western Freeway which is nearly 1,500ft, not straight up either with some steeper climbs in parts. Ballarat to Horsham hwy is getting major upgrade and will be an easy trip sitting on autopilot. Ballarat is a large sized regional city and is popular for a day trips from Melb with Daylesford, Creswick, Trentham all nearby so is wealthy weekender / dayspa central. Gotta happen. One in Beaufort will only catch the cruisers heading west!

It's still only about 20kWh usage to Ballarat though, which is only 2/3 of what it takes to get to Euroa which is also pretty close. So they might think that's too close unless the factors of being in/near a major regional town that you mention outweigh that. Then again the following hops to Horsham and Keith are only about 30kWh anyway so it probably doesn't really matter.

It's still only about 20kWh usage to Ballarat though, which is only 2/3 of what it takes to get to Euroa which is also pretty close. So they might think that's too close unless the factors of being in/near a major regional town that you mention outweigh that. Then again the following hops to Horsham and Keith are only about 30kWh anyway so it probably doesn't really matter.

True. I'm being hopeful maybe, would be handy! The next best would be Beaufort I guess, but that's now bypassed by the hwy upgrade. Either way hoping to hear of progress in the next few months.

Unless you are staying at Dinner Plain the charging options are limited to 10A power points, and thats if you can find one close to where you are parked. Resorts like Hotham run off generators and won't manage a large number of EVs. Reduced temperature will also significantly reduce range and charge. I've driven up Mt Buffalo regularly and even though you appear to recover range on the descent you actually recover surprisingly little charge. I'd imagine that 60-75kWhr batteries will struggle to get to Euroa or Wodonga return from Falls Creek or Hotham if they don't have their own private parking with charging facilities on the mountain (most people)