Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs issued in 4 weeks. What's up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
According to information within this forum there have been no VINs issued in four weeks. (Last VIN issued Early January). So far VINs only issued for cars who have the following options:

P90D or P90DL
Premium Ootion
Autopilot
other options are irrelevant
paymeny type irrelevant
delivery location within continental US irrelevant
No one with Black Onyx 22" Wheels has gotten a delivery date. It has been validated by Tesla black onyx wheels will delay order to second half of year.

Less than 1,000 production VINs issued before they stopped issuing VINs. They have to be running out of VINs or not producing cars. Based on this delay they have to be another month behind schedule. Why have no VINs been issued in 4 weeks? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very likely they got tired of people taking the VIN to mean more than it does and they decided to not get people's hopes up too high. Also, people (like me) think that lower VINs should be delivered sooner and get frustrated when they see higher VINs getting their delivery. They are also taping to cover VINS at SCs now...

Very likely they got tired of people taking the VIN to mean more than it does and they decided to not get people's hopes up too high. Also, people (like me) think that lower VINs should be delivered sooner and get frustrated when they see higher VINs getting their delivery. They are also taping to cover VINS at SCs now...

Where all this may be true no one has reported getting a delivery date without a VIN. Also a person taking a factory tour today reported there were no Model X's only Model S's on the production line. On a tour several weeks ago the person reported there was a combination of X's and S's. The factory should be pumping out at least a 1,000 per week. It normally takes a couple of weeks to get through the line.

I finally have some good news to share but might not be correct anyway. My DS told me I am still on track for March delivery. Take it as you will but that's the most recent good news I got. Tons of poopy news.

I guess Tesla will stop issuing the Vin until the firm date of delivery had been assigned. This is just my speculation, no supportive evidences. The reason I guess this way is because my vin is not assigned and still expect meeting the March delivery. Even though all odds are against me.

I think you may be referring to a post I made on the Tesla Motors forum yesterday in which I stated there were almost no Xs on the line...there were only a couple, and because I did not see all of both lines 1 & 2 in their entirety, I can't say with certainty that there weren't more. But indeed, there looked to be only a couple, which was disheartening to me.

In response to your original question Darryl, I believe quality is still #1 at Tesla, and, after pushing out as many Model Xs as they possibly could before new years day primarily to meet analysts' expectations, and seeing the poor quality that resulted, I think an executive decision was made to pull back on production until they really do get a handle on consistently better quality off the line. It sounds from other posts like they are starting to achieve that quality, so let's hope they issue more VINS soon and the real ramp up starts.

Where all this may be true no one has reported getting a delivery date without a VIN. Also a person taking a factory tour today reported there were no Model X's only Model S's on the production line. On a tour several weeks ago the person reported there was a combination of X's and S's. The factory should be pumping out at least a 1,000 per week. It normally takes a couple of weeks to get through the line.
Weeks to get thru the line? You mean start to finish, actual production, weeks per car? Pretty sure that isn't correct. In my recollection, its 4 days of actual production, then there's QC/repairs, awaiting shipping, shipping, prepping, delivery.

Very view of the people who were given VINs have been given a delivery date yet. I realize only about 10% of the people use ModelXTracker that is still around over 3000. We are already in mid-February and on ModelXTracker it is showing less than 10 production cars delivered. They may still be working on issues. Once they are happy with the production process how fast will they speed things up.

- - - Updated - - -

When I took the factory tour in October I asked how long it would take to build an X from when it enters production to the time it was ready to be delivered to the service center. I am positive the answer was a minimum of two weeks after all parts were sourced. This including QC and detailing. On top of that they said one to two weeks to be delivered to the SC depending on how far away. Finally up to another week to do final prep at the SC.

Very view of the people who were given VINs have been given a delivery date yet. I realize only about 10% of the people use ModelXTracker that is still around over 3000. We are already in mid-February and on ModelXTracker it is showing less than 10 production cars delivered. They may still be working on issues. Once they are happy with the production process how fast will they speed things up.

- - - Updated - - -

Also remember that people may be too excited about their X delivery that they completely forgot about Model X tracker. That could explain low delivery numbers.

I agree with pvogel here. Someone on the TM Forum has a production VIN of 700 something and was told their car is in production. Yet we know people like pvogel have VINs in the 100s and don't know status. Until they reach full ramp, the VINs don't appear to mean a lot other than you're a step closer to having your X than you were before you got a VIN.

I am 99% sure when I got my S, VIN in the 9000s, they were being produced in VIN order as I remember talking to others in the forums who had VINs near mine and got deliveries around the same time. Early on in the S life, I don't know what they were doing with VIN order.

As I said somewhere else, there's really no reason/advantage for TM to give out a VIN so far in advance. It doesn't benefit TM, but it sets expectations for all of us that are very hard to meet.

I am not a patient person, but TM has taught me good things come to those who wait (albeit, impatiently!).

hey guys

I guess line is moving again. Just received my VIN, xxx104x. Confirmed 1/4. Wheel changed from black to 22 silver. P90DL with 7 seater, premium and all other stuffs.

No VIN curse has been broken. VIN is stilling been issued and the production is starting to pick up again i think.

Yes, something is happening - just got my VIN as well, having confirmed almost a month ago. Prod in the high 900's.

"High Five"!

This is great news. This means the problems with Model X has been resolved. The mass production units are beginning to get build. You confirmed on 1/19, I confirmed 1/4. Therefore there is great number of people getting a production VIN. According to my DS, VIN only issued when it's into production. Since there is no foreseeable delay in parts at more, we should get our cars very soon. Finger crossed and extremely excited!

I think you may be referring to a post I made on the Tesla Motors forum yesterday in which I stated there were almost no Xs on the line...there were only a couple, and because I did not see all of both lines 1 & 2 in their entirety, I can't say with certainty that there weren't more. But indeed, there looked to be only a couple, which was disheartening to me.

In response to your original question Darryl, I believe quality is still #1 at Tesla, and, after pushing out as many Model Xs as they possibly could before new years day primarily to meet analysts' expectations, and seeing the poor quality that resulted, I think an executive decision was made to pull back on production until they really do get a handle on consistently better quality off the line. It sounds from other posts like they are starting to achieve that quality, so let's hope they issue more VINS soon and the real ramp up starts.

The calm [of the line] before the storm..

Don't expect this to last long. Do expect vast improvements to the line IMO.

I agree with pvogel here. Someone on the TM Forum has a production VIN of 700 something and was told their car is in production. Yet we know people like pvogel have VINs in the 100s and don't know status. Until they reach full ramp, the VINs don't appear to mean a lot other than you're a step closer to having your X than you were before you got a VIN.

I am 99% sure when I got my S, VIN in the 9000s, they were being produced in VIN order as I remember talking to others in the forums who had VINs near mine and got deliveries around the same time. Early on in the S life, I don't know what they were doing with VIN order.

It appears that this time 'round, they've randomized the VINs a bit. S's were produced in VIN order and Tesla watched as everyone put together stories about how well they were performing in production based upon that. Aside from the first 10 or 20, VIN order really doesn't mean anything. For Model X, I was surprised as I saw reports of some cars getting VIN's of 1xx when they confirmed their order one or two days after I confirmed ours, which got 5xx.

There were some of these late-delivery cases with Model S as well. In some cases, cars that reached QC had a critical problem discovered, were dismantled and re-made.

As I've said in a couple of other threads, I empathize with those folks who are seeing production cars delivered, yet are still waiting on Signature -- that happened to us as well. At least this time around, you receive a Signature discount, rather than paying an additional $6,500 to get your car later than an equivalent production model.

And yes, it's true that once you receive the car, all you want to do is drive 50 miles round trip to pick up a glass of juice or soda.

Last edited:
It has been validated by Tesla black onyx wheels will delay order to second half of year.

[/B]

Has this really been validated? Maybe so, but I think dates given on a configuration on the website is not really validation. It is hard for me to imagine Tesla holding up a much needed $140K sale over $4K of rims. My own thought is if rims were really going to delay an order I would make the option temporarily unavailable or Out of Stock. I am ready to be flamed and educated...

Are you all receiving VINs for P90D's? Doubt any early 90D's have received VINs, but there is still hope for the early ones. Those with VIN's without signature blocks with details please post your model details, colors, interiors, premium or not, and other upgrades from stock to see what is batching together.
....and, of course, update your entry in modelxtracker.com