Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help escalate issues for a new car purchase above the GM level (any help)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a potential new owner of a Model S. I'm just baffled about how poor the experience has been since I put a deposit down for an exiting inventory Model S. Here's some of the lowlights:

1) My trade in value came in $10,000's less than the lowest number in the estimated range! I know it was just an estimate but multiple sales reps told me it almost always comes in somewhere in that range.
2) While considering things more after the offer, I rescheduled my delivery date for a week later.
3) During that week the gave me a new VIN number and sold my original car. The VIN i received was for another car that had the same build. (I actually didn't even know it was a new VIN I found this out later)
4) Right before delivery (yesterday), I found out that the new car they issued for me was a NOT an inventory car and was a new production car! So, all discounts are not valid! No one along the way told me this. There were a number of other inventory cars available that I would have gladly accepted, including one that was the the same exact build!
5) As most of you know, the discounts are now over and my car has zero discount and all discounts are off.
5) The GM of my local store said there's nothing they can do for me.

It sounds like the local offices have no real control of things. Any ideas on how to escalate to corporate?

It’s unfortunate that you had such a poor experience. I realize the car market remains somewhat volatile right now but a final value coming in tens of thousands less than the low end of the estimate is pretty bad. Did you ask them why it was so far off the estimate?

While delaying delivery can mean forfeiting a particular car, they should've at least told you that it would mean losing the agreed upon price (with discounts).

As far as the additional discounts go, however, they are actually still available on new existing inventory cars but depends on location.

It’s unfortunate that you had such a poor experience. I realize the car market remains somewhat volatile right now but a final value coming in tens of thousands less than the low end of the estimate is pretty bad. Did you ask them why it was so far off the estimate?

While delaying delivery can mean forfeiting a particular car, they should've at least told you that it would mean losing the agreed upon price (with discounts).

As far as the additional discounts go, however, they are actually still available on new existing inventory cars but depends on location.
Yes sort of...But, in the end of the day, I was going to live with the value they placed on it.

The bigger issue I have is that they switched my VIN to a production car without telling me of the loss of the discount. If they just would have told me, I would have picked out another inventory car. There were a number of good options including the same build.

Now there are no more discounted cars in my area and the free supercharging is gone. You would think that any other sales organization would just honor the discount.

Yes sort of...But, in the end of the day, I was going to live with the value they placed on it.

The bigger issue I have is that they switched my VIN to a production car without telling me of the loss of the discount. If they just would have told me, I would have picked out another inventory car. There were a number of good options including the same build.

Now there are no more discounted cars in my area and the free supercharging is gone. You would think that any other sales organization would just honor the discount.

I agree they should honor the agreed price (with discount). Unfortunately, Tesla prices have been all over the map this past year from multiple increases last year, significant price cuts early this year, additional discounts on new existing inventory cars, pricing/availability varying by location, etc. Since Tesla owns and operates its dealerships, the actions at the store level are basically "corporate" but maybe you'll have luck escalating this higher.

I'm not sure what color and options you are looking for but doing a new existing inventory search for Maryland shows a few with discounts. Below is one example with a $6,770 discount which states "ready for delivery" at Rockville, MD.

I agree they should honor the agreed price (with discount). Unfortunately, Tesla prices have been all over the map this past year from multiple increases last year, significant price cuts early this year, additional discounts on new existing inventory cars, pricing/availability varying by location, etc. Since Tesla owns and operates its dealerships, the actions at the store level are basically "corporate" but maybe you'll have luck escalating this higher.

I'm not sure what color and options you are looking for but doing a new existing inventory search for Maryland shows a few with discounts. Below is one example with a $6,770 discount which states "ready for delivery" at Rockville, MD.

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get any help from the local dealerships. Corporate seems to control everything.