Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No rear autobrake? (TFL Long-term Model 3 crash)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TFL’s long-term Model 3 DM was damaged when one of their staff members backed into the edge of a wall. Here’s the video they just released about their experience so far getting it fixed, along with an interesting AWD roller test:

What surprised me is that Tesla does not appear to have rear auto brake to prevent such collisions. It’s found in many Subaru, GM, Toyota, and BMW models, and the IIHS has started rating them:

Rear crash prevention

Seems like an easy enough system to implement over an OTA update. Tesla should really add this feature soon to cut down on reversing incidents. The rear 3/4 is hard to judge on Model 3, and I’ve used rear cameras that were more helpful in providing perspective.

TFL’s long-term Model 3 DM was damaged when one of their staff members backed into the edge of a wall. Here’s the video they just released about their experience so far getting it fixed, along with an interesting AWD roller test:

What surprised me is that Tesla does not appear to have rear auto brake to prevent such collisions. It’s found in many Subaru, GM, Toyota, and BMW models, and the IIHS has started rating them:

Rear crash prevention

Seems like an easy enough system to implement over an OTA update. Tesla should really add this feature soon to cut down on reversing incidents. The rear 3/4 is hard to judge on Model 3, and I’ve used rear cameras that were more helpful in providing perspective.
The ultrasonics beep when you get close to things and the display shows how close you are. That dent is right on the ultrasonic sensor!
Mine beep all the time when I’ve got a bike rack on so I hope they don’t add auto braking.

They may have muted the beeping sound.
There is no way I am aware of to turn off or even adjust the sound level of the parking sensor alarm.

What surprised me is that Tesla does not appear to have rear auto brake to prevent such collisions.
What surprised me is that someone could ignore the parking sensor alarm to such a degree that they could back into a wall. It’s pretty loud.

Was the TFL “staff member” in his 80’s and forget to wear his hearing aids? ;)

I watched the video and was wondering the same thing. He had to have shut it off, there’s no way it didn’t go off while backing into a wall. I noticed that little icon the 1st day i got my car.

The roller test part of the video was pretty awesome though. They do good work, but this accident seems weird as heck

I wouldn't say it's impossible. My mother managed to back into another vehicle, even though her car had parking sensors. A guy who was reversing at a traffic light (to make room for a U-turn) hit me allegedly because his foot slipped off the brake.

Sometimes people have sensor and warning fatigue where the constant barrage of beeps and alerts gets ignored. In my small garage, the parking sensors go crazy whether I'm about to hit something or not. I'm hoping Tesla adds the option of a well-calibrated rear autobrake OTA.