Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Model 3 fires to date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I can tell there have been zero Tesla Model 3 fires, even after serious crashes. Has anyone heard of a fire in the Model 3? If not, this seems to me a fairly large improvement over S and X given that Tesla has already delivered close to 120K Model 3s.

That's because Model 3 owners practice firearm safety, unlike those snotty S/X owners.

I don't know how that model S owner shot his battery, but I'm sure it involved a pearl handle revolver and a hooker.

As far as I can tell there have been zero Tesla Model 3 fires, even after serious crashes. Has anyone heard of a fire in the Model 3? If not, this seems to me a fairly large improvement over S and X given that Tesla has already delivered close to 120K Model 3s.
There has been at least one Model 3 fire, as I’ve seen it go through the insurance auction.

Interesting to see the honeycomb design on the backside of the center screen. But honestly why would anyone buy a burnt out car.

It is likely a required process that the insurer does to make sure to recover the max value from any claim. Probably just their standard procedure no matter how ridiculous... That looks pretty toast.

I wonder if the scrap value is worth more than any hazmat handling of the battery, etc?

I am guessing that other may be right - likely a wildfire car?

My nephew (who is an ICE mechanic) joked "make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your new ride". So I started poking around the web. As of this posting, not ONE case of a M3 catching fire, anywhere.
I'm seeing M3's everywhere now, so that is truly remarkable. There is another thread that mentions a "goo" they've used in between the separate cells. I'm not sure if that's the reason. But this should absolutely be crowed about and discussed when people get snarky..

Reactions: 0ptions
This could be down to the difference in battery pack design, the individual cell design, or just that there haven't been enough miles driven by Model 3 for them to be in situations that have caused Model S or X to catch fire. But mostly I think it's pack design. Cells in the S/X packs are physically very close, so thermal runaway of one can rapidly spread to the four cells around it. As mentioned above, there is thermal protection between cells rather than just the coolant system. Depending on what that material is, it could be an extremely effective electrical insulator, it could just be to prevent vibration of the cells, or it could be some thermal insulation to protect cells when a neighbor goes off.

Photo of Model S module disassembled: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/2015-03-28-02-46-04-1920-jpg.76115/

Photo of Model 3 module disassembled: https://model3ownersclub.com/media/tesla-model-3-teardown-9.677/full?d=1524758997

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been any considering the number off them shipped and how fast they were going out the door.

Especially with the completely incompetent quality control that was occurring.

With my Model 3 they seem to have gotten everything right except one body panel, but the one body panel was so obvious it was a WTF? moment when I saw it.

It was like approving a super model to walk the run way when she had a black eye. Like how did guys not see it?