Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ PSEG rebate for mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I live in NJ and have PSEG. I am looking to buy the tesla mobile connector as it makes more sense for me and my usage, instead of a wall connector. Now as per $1500 rebate installations guide, the charger must be a Level 2. Given that if use the NEMA 14-50 then it would make it a level 2 and I would qualify for such rebate, no? Anyone went through this already? Please let me know as I am expecting my MYLR in 3 weeks or so.

Yes, the UMC should count as a Level 2 for sure. The fine print in the rebate might have something about the charger being fixed in place or installed, though.

Taking a quick look, they want it to be a smart charger, which the UMC technically isn't.

Sadly, in addition to the UMC not being a smart charger, the rebate is apparently for UPGRADES to your home's wiring/panel/feed to get power to the EVSE but NOT for the reimbursement of buying the EVSE itself!

So no, even if the UMC had Wifi/Cellular connectivity, you won't get a rebate for the UMC itself, only the house wiring install/upgrade to drive it.

47113665-DC52-40EB-ABB1-B841FF87831E.png

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Hey Did you get an answer on this? I was thinking of doing the same. I wanted to install a NEMA 14-50 and use the mobile charger.
Sorry, just saw this. So after speaking to PSEG, it can’t be the mobile connector as it doesn’t support Wi-Fi capabilities. They told me that in a few weeks time they will update their program which will eliminate the need for a charger requirement and as long as you have an electric car then it will fill the purpose.

Reactions: inc_0s
Sorry, just saw this. So after speaking to PSEG, it can’t be the mobile connector as it doesn’t support Wi-Fi capabilities. They told me that in a few weeks time they will update their program which will eliminate the need for a charger requirement and as long as you have an electric car then it will fill the purpose.
Can you explain what you were told about them eliminating the need for a a charger requirement? I just bought a Model 3, and the PSEG site has the same rules that were posted above. I'm confused whether a Telsa Wall Connector will qualify for the installation rebate and/or it will receive the off-peak discount. Thank you!

i had a tesla wall connector installed in jan and i got the rebate …no prob …it’s on the list when you fill out the application…

you do not get the discount for off peak charging…for that you need to use one of 2 specific chargers that can report changing data back to pseg

i do not know about a 14-50 and mobile charger but note the rebate is not for the charger: it’s for internal wiring …i don’t remember if under the list if chargers they had “other”

i had a tesla wall connector installed in jan and i got the rebate …no prob …it’s on the list when you fill out the application…

you do not get the discount for off peak charging…for that you need to use one of 2 specific chargers that can report changing data back to pseg

i do not know about a 14-50 and mobile charger but note the rebate is not for the charger: it’s for internal wiring …i don’t remember if under the list if chargers they had “other”

Where is this application you speak of?

Where is this application you speak of?
Log into your PSE&G account. Scroll to the bottom and enter the EV Portal. Closely follow the instructions. The $1500 rebate is for the BTM (behind the meter installation charge) You must use a NJ licensed electrician that applies for a permit, the inspection, and submits a required load/data form to PSE&G. They also require the make, model, and serial number of your charger.