Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I don't think the leaf is practical as a replacement for my volt yet. It needs to be able to go 84 miles between charges to make sense. New and not in the winter it can probably just do it. 30k miles on the battery and in the winter, not so much.

I can't believe it but I quoted the NADA site for retail value of my totaled leaf sl. Allstate offered 15750 (which includes the sales tax I paid) but site says 16175 (of course without sales tax they have to pay). Will see. Will test drive 2016 volt. The leaf routinely gave 90 miles. I am hoping the 50 quoted on the volt is low ball. I like the safety features on the 2016 volts but you need to get all the options. Looked at I3 but of course expensive and gas extender use brings the range from 80 to 150. If getting range extender would like ability to move car to other cities as she is not yet settled

i also discovered that that the volt did better than the leaf in crash tests with the leaf doing poorly in the offset frontal crash with likely driver injury but the volt did well.

this accident has made me realize that safety number one concern. Would want model 3 but can't wait.

I can't believe it but I quoted the NADA site for retail value of my totaled leaf sl. Allstate offered 15750 (which includes the sales tax I paid) but site says 16175 (of course without sales tax they have to pay). Will see. Will test drive 2016 volt. The leaf routinely gave 90 miles. I am hoping the 50 quoted on the volt is low ball. I like the safety features on the 2016 volts but you need to get all the options. Looked at I3 but of course expensive and gas extender use brings the range from 80 to 150. If getting range extender would like ability to move car to other cities as she is not yet settled

i also discovered that that the volt did better than the leaf in crash tests with the leaf doing poorly in the offset frontal crash with likely driver injury but the volt did well.

this accident has made me realize that safety number one concern. Would want model 3 but can't wait.
When you get the Volt fully loaded, what is the price ? Last I looked it was quite a bit more than I thought it was worth.

If safety is a big concern I think the Tesla did pretty well in that category. Here is a certified pre owned car for 47,100.
60 kWh Model S P14716 | Tesla Motors

More are listed here
http://ev-cpo.com/

Reactions: gene
When you get the Volt fully loaded, what is the price ? Last I looked it was quite a bit more than I thought it was worth.

If safety is a big concern I think the Tesla did pretty well in that category. Here is a certified pre owned car for 47,100.
60 kWh Model S P14716 | Tesla Motors

More are listed here
http://ev-cpo.com/
I agree that it's a lot. Suspect 38k but it still will qualify for the tax credit. The model S is too large for her. Would love to have gone with a used one but the tax credit and better range and safety features are why I am considering it. Will need to hold my nose while in GM dealership andhope they didn't use a substandard part to save a dollar. Also will have a better resale value than generation 1 volt in couple of years when the model 3 comes out.

I dont see nissan getting more aggressive with leaf. 107 mileage without extender too limiting. I got the 2013 leaf expecting them to increase battery more and hoping it was exchangeable however they clearly made statement by not making it possible to upgrade and not upgrading the base model

Last edited:
So Carwings, which was using 2G, just went down for my 2012 Nissan Leaf that is a US vehicle imported into Canada. I've been reading over at the Leaf forum that I might have to take it down to the States to get the USA Telematics system for replacement since they apparently won't do a US one in Canada (buy I am still going to try). Has anyone with a Leaf done the update from 2G yet? If so, what did it cost and how is it working? Thanks.

I Did the update the last week of December with my 2015 Nissan Leaf. I had no issues and it works great. It didn't cost me anything since Nissan was doing the update free for 2015 Leafs.
Yes, free for the 2015 Leaf but $199 for the 2011-2014 Leaf. You should have received a letter from Nissan. AT&T shut down their G2 cell network at the end of 2016. The TCU units in all 2011-2015 Leafs need to be replaced if you want to use the built-in cell functionality. If you do not have a GPS you do not have a TCU.

I'm having my wife call down to Bellingham Nissan (USA) to get an appointment with Nissan there. It's not much further than going to Langley Nissan (Canada) for us since we live close to the border. Since my Leaf is from the States I don't want to waste my time with Nissan here and $199US sounds good to me, especially if 3G is faster which it must be. Since my daughters drive the car, I like to keep an eye on the battery when they are out, and we also remotely top it up from 80 to 100% a lot before they take it out, turn on the heat, etc. and it sucks now not having the app work.

So Carwings, which was using 2G, just went down for my 2012 Nissan Leaf that is a US vehicle imported into Canada. I've been reading over at the Leaf forum that I might have to take it down to the States to get the USA Telematics system for replacement since they apparently won't do a US one in Canada (buy I am still going to try). Has anyone with a Leaf done the update from 2G yet? If so, what did it cost and how is it working? Thanks.
Be careful and check out MNL.com There have been lots of problems, possibly due to different units in each model year, server problems, dealer problems, etc. I have a friend with a 2011 who has been two trips to the dealer and it still isn't working. Fortunately, he received a 2016 Leaf loaner and he is thoroughly enjoying the full range, faster charging and better heating. He told the dealer there was no hurry getting the 2011 fixed.;)

Be careful and check out MNL.com There have been lots of problems, possibly due to different units in each model year, server problems, dealer problems, etc. I have a friend with a 2011 who has been two trips to the dealer and it still isn't working. Fortunately, he received a 2016 Leaf loaner and he is thoroughly enjoying the full range, faster charging and better heating. He told the dealer there was no hurry getting the 2011 fixed.;)

Thanks for the warning. I have been reading the leaf forum. That's what made me decide to go down to the States since my car was imported to Canada from the States. If I have problems, it's only a short drive down to the Nissan dealer in Bellingham for us. From the reading the forums, the Nissan dealers in Canada won't even do the upgrade to an American car...

So I got my Carwings back without having to upgrade 3G. We actually had an appointment with Nissan Bellingham for Thursday (now cancelled) to have the upgrade done. But tonight I browsed the Leaf forum and found someone in Canada who got it working again without the upgrade since 2G still works up here and may continue for another year or so. Here's how it's done for anyone with a US imported Leaf in Canada:

Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada - My Nissan Leaf Forum

Unless the price is significantly lower or the range greater or both, who would buy it? I think 200 mile range is the new minimum (unless the price is a lot lower) that anyone would consider for a BEV.

Lower and greater than what? There are over 250,000 Nissan LEAFs in the world with either a 24kWh or a 30kWh battery. They won't have any trouble keeping those sales going with this new car with a 40kWh or 60kWh battery.