Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan is planning on selling 1500+ Chademo high voltage, high current chargers in NA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an official Nissan chademo charger that got installed in my parking garage in midtown Manhattan last week...I guess they're rolling them out. Too bad I can't use it!

Guys, I thought I heard that TM will be producing an adapter for chademo. First they said for Japan and then more recently I believe they said they will be making the adapter available for outside Japan. I don't have dual chargers on board, but wouldn't it be great if it leveraged the on board wiring for supercharging to enable faster charging than standard Nema 15-40.

1) Supercharger enabled might be required for high capacity usage of the CHAdeMO. Or not. We'll see.
2) Elon has tweeted that CHAdeMO adapter will be available for EU and JP markets. Presumably that means an adapter and software changes are being worked on.
3) This old thread indicates 1500+ CHAdeMO in the US by sometime next year. Same linked article indicates 800 of them by middle of last year. I don't think we have 800 in US right now, so who knows what the actual numbers and dates will be.

Guys, I thought I heard that TM will be producing an adapter for chademo. First they said for Japan and then more recently I believe they said they will be making the adapter available for outside Japan. I don't have dual chargers on board, but wouldn't it be great if it leveraged the on board wiring for supercharging to enable faster charging than standard Nema 15-40.

I heard the Japan thing, but never heard anything about it being available in the US...either way, it doesn't seem like a big priority to Tesla right now. I don't think twin chargers would make a difference with Chademo since it's DC.

CHAdeMO is DC charging so twin chargers have nothing to do with it. It will also require the supercharger option since the DC charging software must be enabled for it to work.

Why would Tesla *not* make a CHAdeMO adapter? Is it some sort of ego thing? I would think that Tesla would want to make every possible adapter to make charging easier for all Model S owners...
Tesla have not made a CHAdeMO adapter yet because it takes a lot more R&D and is a lot more complex than any other adapter Tesla has built so far. In case it's not clear, the only pins that CHAdeMO shares with other standards are the two power pins, everything else is different. And the only reason they decided to develop one is because they must for the Japanese market.

FWIW, Nissan currently has a contract job at Find Careers in Engineering, Finance, IT, Science More with Kelly Services | Job Description related to this.

Kelly Services is currently seeking a talented Infrastructure Sales Manager with strong sales and relationship building skills to work for Nissan in Irvine, CA. We are looking for a candidate that has the ability to manage and complete the entire sales process cycle for the DCFC deployment.

In this contract role you will:
· Must have expert presentation and demonstration skills

· Develop leads and contacts for targeted sales

· Work with Nissan's existing utility, municipal, and corporate partners to develop DCFC deployment plans to create sales.

· Work with Nissan's regional field teams to engage Nissan dealers on DCFC installations at dealership locations.

· Advance Nissan's workplace changing initiative through outreach, engagement of employers, and coordination of on-site activities including Town Halls, and ride & drives....
There was also Nissan will triple number of DC fast chargers in US. Also, a few months earlier at National Plug-in Day in SF, they made some announcements/promises about DC faster chargers in CA. I don't recall the specifics but there is a video of them making the statement.

If I had sales experience and it wasn't a 50-80% travel job, I'd probably apply...

CHAdeMO DC fast chargers or just a mix of those lumped in with L1 and L2 J1772?

1000 within San Diego? 1000 within the US? 1000 worldwide?
It's 1000 home charging stations, so absolutely irrelevant to CHAdeMO and to public charging.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1043500_san-diego-region-to-get-2500-charging-stations

As for Nissan's CHAdeMO promise, it's only really relevant if it's non-dealer chargers that are accessible to the rest of the public and also accessible at all hours. There's already been many incidences that show dealer chargers are not dependable (J1772 or otherwise). I should also add that being free is less important than being dependable (since chances are if you are charging at a quick charger you absolutely need the charge).

There are already LOTS of CHAdeMO chargers about every 40 miles on most of the highways here in WA as well as OR as a part of the "green highway" and I am told in much of Europe and Asia as well. They are in public lots by burger stations, etc, and available 24/7. Being able to access them, instead of just the slow speed adapters included with my car would make trips to the airport / city, etc infinitely more convenient. In speaking with Tesla customer support last week, I was told that "there are no current plans to create a CHAdeMO adapter for the S" in spite of the enormous benefit that it would provide for us in the Pacific NW as well as for other parts of the US and other countries that have a CHAdeMO infrustructure already in place. He took my VIN # and submitted a request in to his superiors to consider it's development. He told me that if the more people that placed such a request, the more influence it would have on Tesla. If you are reading this thread and want Tesla to create a high speed (ChAdeMO) adapter, please call customer service (877-798-3752) and request that they prioritize it. Better yet, if you have any influence (?tweet-o-sphere; publishing, etc) do whatever you think might help this effort along.