Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Safety Complaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the MS rated for a towing capacity? I know there's a max weight including passengers. but I haven't seen anything with respect to towing. I know turbo ICEs generally can't tow. how about the MS? Not that I'm interested in adding a tow hitch. Well unless its for a grill for tailgating purposes.

Tesla says "no towing" for the Model S (although there have been hints that the Model X will have a generous towing capacity). They do not elaborate on why it might be a bad idea.

Many hitches being installed on the Model S are rated at 2,000lbs and people that have looked at the car say it looks like it can handle that, but you never know - I'd rather not try it. I just put on a lightweight aluminum bike rack with a bicycle. I did the same thing with my Roadster and Tesla never bothered me about that. In fact, a Tesla service manager installed the Roadster rack; and Tesla now offers it as an option (HERE) despite the fact that you REALLY can't tow with a Roadster (it can take a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight, but the frame construction really can't take pulling anything).

Mildly back on topic - when my hitch was installed on my Model S, all of the nuts were tight. In fact the guy that installed it went out of his way to say how impressed he was with how well Tesla had put everything together.

This was discussed in detail on the Tesla forum. The owner who found it and reported it was Pungoteague_Dave. He reported it to Tesla and NHTSA at the same time. Tesla checked his car thoroughly and came to the conclusion it had to be an anomaly. Here is the link to the discussion.
FWIW, I have zero / 0 / no respect for this Pungoteague_Dave person ... who in their right mind would file a complaint with NHTSA at the same time as reporting to Tesla.
I do not even believe them. Think they're just trouble makers.

Is the MS rated for a towing capacity? I know there's a max weight including passengers. but I haven't seen anything with respect to towing. I know turbo ICEs generally can't tow. how about the MS? Not that I'm interested in adding a tow hitch. Well unless its for a grill for tailgating purposes.

My thoughts exactly. I'm trying to think through what they did to the rear bumper to make it all fit together, let alone the issues around towing in the S.

FWIW, I have zero / 0 / no respect for this Pungoteague_Dave person ... who in their right mind would file a complaint with NHTSA at the same time as reporting to Tesla.

I would disagree. There are ways for an automakers to make sure things like nuts tightening do actually happen. And not dependent on if particular worker is too sleepy or got a hangover or simply lazy. Even if nut is in the hard to access place. If Tesla do not have those QC checks in place - eventually that could result in someone being injured and recall of the car.

While just reporting to Tesla should be enough, if that person felt that his words were not taken seriously reporting to NHTSA is right thing to do.

Assuming nuts were not actually tightened. But if there is a concern over nothing/person made up whole thing - all Tesla would need to do is to release short video explaining how QC is done on that particular nuts. It could be automatic laser measurements of position of a nuts, or smart tools like Ford is using that detect nut and how many revolvements was done and what pressure was archived at the end of the tightening process etc...

The problem with giving a towing rating for a car is the liability. If you give it a small towing capacity--say 1500 lbs. Then sure enough someone will tow 5-7,000 lbs. with it and get into trouble. When the matter comes to court the question that will be asked is, "Is it reasonable to suppose that someone would tow more than the rated capacity?". At best you get the amount reduced (Courts love "reasonable" and "deep pockets"). Stating that it has no towing capacity at all eliminates the problem for free. It's no surprise that Tesla says no towing.

Pungoteague_Dave is a frequent and reasonable poster on the official Tesla forums and has been for some time. I see no reason he would make up the entire story, including unscrewing the bolts for the pictures, which would likely void his warranty at the least and possibly result in legal action from Tesla at the worst. Talk about conspiracy theories...

Fact is it's a scary discovery to make, and it's enough to shake ones confidence in the vehicle and the company. Read the thread; Tesla took the issue seriously. Perhaps you should too.

I would as long as there is a legitimate safety defect or non-compliance w/FMVSS. Doesn't matter who the automaker is.

If you had a safety defect, esp. a serious one that requires repair and a trip to a dealer (where presumably the work order is a report to the automaker as well), IMHO, it's a good idea to file a report w/NHTSA.

Maybe the post from Prius Brake Recall – A Little More Information | Page 2 | PriusChat from the former Prius Product Manager (they're in marketing) might give you a little more insight.

Rather than a recall on 6000+ vehicles, Tesla can consider inspecting those brought in for servicing. There must be at least several hundred at service centers each week for various reasons. An inspection would provide a decent sized sample to determine if further steps are warranted. Better to get ahead of it now rather than later.

I am in the airline sector of the transportation industry. We routinely report possible safety issues. It's part of our culture. Why do you think the U.S.airlines are the envy of the world for our amazing safety record? It is not considered "tattling". PD is right for reporting this discrepancy.

Last edited: