Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA crash tests results/videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A brief search shows the following sedans/wagons/2 doors with 5 stars in all tests:

Tesla Model S
Cadillac ATS
Audi A4 and S4
Chevy Camaro
Honda Accord 2Dr
Kia Optima 4Dr
Subaru Legacy 4dr
Volvo s60 4dr
Ford Focus BeV

I think the standards should be raised again, if only to separate the men from the boys. I'd bet money that the Model S would score higher than the other cars here, primarily because of the battery pack in the floor.

Notice: no Mercedes, no BMW, no Jag, no....

I remember Elon saying something about how other cars with 5 star ratings got them through some appeals process. He said it would be the first 5 star rated car with no "asterisks". So there might be some detail we are missing, or such talk refers to IIHS ratings.

A brief search shows the following sedans/wagons/2 doors with 5 stars in all tests:

Tesla Model S
Cadillac ATS
Audi A4 and S4
Chevy Camaro
Honda Accord 2Dr
Kia Optima 4Dr
Subaru Legacy 4dr
Volvo s60 4dr
Ford Focus BeV

I think the standards should be raised again, if only to separate the men from the boys. I'd bet money that the Model S would score higher than the other cars here, primarily because of the battery pack in the floor.

Notice: no Mercedes, no BMW, no Jag, no....

Chevy Volt is five stars as well. The Nissan LEAF is four stars.

LOVE watching these. I'm no expert but looks extremely good! The airbag deployment in the front crash is excellent: the whole airbag is fully deployed before the doll even begins to move forward.

Only thing I didn't like was how the rear view mirror came loose during the side pole impact test and came flying through the cabin... didn't hit the driver though so I guess no points deducted for that one :)

Yes, noticed that

- the rear view mirror came flying out; it's quite a projectile, it'd appear.
- in the front impact, from the camera angles from inside the car, what was going on with the rear bench seat? Did it come flying up?!

Amazing how that battery structure beneath didn't seem to budge an inch in that massive front impact!

Let's hope the NTHSA don't let those three crashed cars sit in a corner now for a few weeks until they self-ignite a la Volt... That would be bad PR. I think they've learnt now how to properly disassamble and dispose of the battery pack....

Let's hope the NTHSA don't let those three crashed cars sit in a corner now for a few weeks until they self-ignite a la Volt... That would be bad PR. I think they've learnt now how to properly disassamble and dispose of the battery pack....

I hope they do leave it around and watch the battery. I'm confident in the Telsa battery design. Elon has spoken a few times about the fact that they use lots of small cells thermally isolated. He says it isn't a matter of "if" a single cell will fail, it's a matter of "when". For the other car companies (and most likely the Dream Liner 787 airplanes), the failure of one battery cell leads to heat, and a chain of chemical reactions overheating the entire battery. Telsa designed it so the individual cells are smaller (i.e. less heat) and it is thermally isolated. He says that if a cell goes bad, that just means the battery will perform to a lower rating without over heating.

I hope they do leave it around and watch the battery. I'm confident in the Telsa battery design. Elon has spoken a few times about the fact that they use lots of small cells thermally isolated. He says it isn't a matter of "if" a single cell will fail, it's a matter of "when". For the other car companies (and most likely the Dream Liner 787 airplanes), the failure of one battery cell leads to heat, and a chain of chemical reactions overheating the entire battery. Telsa designed it so the individual cells are smaller (i.e. less heat) and it is thermally isolated. He says that if a cell goes bad, that just means the battery will perform to a lower rating without over heating.

I'm pretty sure Tesla has done this inhouse: severly crashed a couple of Model S's (or at least the battery packs) and then just let them sit there for a while to see that there is not thermal runaway.