Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA complaints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an MYLR on order but wanted to seek perspective on something I've seen within the website of the Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Admin.
In looking at NHTSA complaints data for a few similarly popular vehicles, the MYLR has garnered far more in the way of complaints than the others.
Does anyone have a sense of the validity of this data? Are NHTSA complaints considered to be valid?

I recently drove a 2020 Toyota RAV4 with "lane keep assist." This version of lane assist technology is on many Toyotas since at least 2019. On a two lane highway (55 and 65 mph posted speed limits), when the highway expands to have a passing lane (see diagram), the vehicle would steer toward the right edge of the road, and had I not intervened, would have continued on a trajectory taking the vehicle off the road surface/lane, resulting in a crash.

Toyota has sold many cars in USA. How many NHTSA complaints--and "mainstream media" coverage, do you see with this "safety defect?"

Attachments

• TwoLaneHighwayWithPassingLane.JPG
    TwoLaneHighwayWithPassingLane.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 43
I recently drove a 2020 Toyota RAV4 with "lane keep assist." This version of lane assist technology is on many Toyotas since at least 2019. On a two lane highway (55 and 65 mph posted speed limits), when the highway expands to have a passing lane (see diagram), the vehicle would steer toward the right edge of the road, and had I not intervened, would have continued on a trajectory taking the vehicle off the road surface/lane, resulting in a crash.

Toyota has sold many cars in USA. How many NHTSA complaints--and "mainstream media" coverage, do you see with this "safety defect?"
I second this. Having rented two different models of Toyotas, I can say their lane keeping "feature" is a death trap. Every time there was an upcoming highway exit, the car would pull to the right towards the exit. It also got confused by the tire tracks on wet highway in a rain, thinking those tracks were lane markers and started to ride across two lanes.

All the Tesla autopilot haters should be thrown into a Toyota with the lane keep feature forced on, so they can really appreciate what they have in a Tesla.