Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Tesla store location(s)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO..Tesla will not be accepted in mainstream America without a strong dealer network ( even if you call them stores) that can service warranty issues (should they arise ) and can accomodate those potential buyers that need to see, feel and drive the car before contemplating a purchase. Tesla cannot succeed selling a few thousand S models..The plant investment , dealer network, ongoing R&D etc etc etc..is a huge nut to crack..Now add the competitive edge that will dissipate as time goes on..They need to get there sh* together and deliver on their commitments.
They must open stores at a quicker pace....the whole world is watching now..:eek:

I would have to assume that the issue is money. Maybe they are waiting for shipments of the higher priced 2009 (2010) and Sport models to start. They will have significantly more profit and cash flow from those cars.

A bit off topic, but commenting on the above...

Tesla should be at maximum cash flow right now. The 2008 models have the balance due at delivery. The 2010 models have the balance due upon start of production. During the next 2 months they have an overlap of those payment terms. They're getting final due payments from the 2008's being delivered at the same time they're getting final due payments of the 2010's starting production.

Don't get me wrong I want stores to open as well, not the least because Oslo is said to be on the second tier list...
But looking at this with Teslas eyes I have serious problems seeing WHY?

It seems to take about 6 months to get a store running, and if they accept a less personalised styling I suppose they can cut that down to 3 months. They still have plenty of waitlist for the Roadster left and this shouldn't be a problem before early 2010. The Model S shouldn't be rolling out to customers before late 2011 at the earliest. Considering shops costs lots of money and they are still waiting for the loans, I can't really see why they need any more fixed expenses with very little extra income right now. In a year things might be very different though but not right now.

Cobos

Geographically it would seem to make a lot more sense to put a store in St.Louis for the midwest, maybe in Atlanta to get the SE area, and Denver to get the Mountain region. I realize there is more money and more people who will likely buy and need service in those bigger cities that they're expanding to now, but a STL store would be in driving range of Chicago, KC, Memphis...and me, in Springfield, MO area--and that's what really matters here! ;-)

Should we assume that Tesla has done market research on where they are most likely to be able to sell what are essentially luxury cars, assuming that Roadster and Model S are their two main products for several years? This isn't scientific, but living in Miami, I can tell you that BMWs, Mercedes, Lexuses and Audis, all selling for over $50k, are as common on the roads here as any other car you'll see. Within two counties (Dade and Broward), which is about 30 miles end to end, there are 6 BMW dealerships. I think there are 5 in the entire state of Missouri.

This is not necessarily a compliment to or value judgment on either location (or any other location where luxury cars are ubiquitous). Rather, just pointing out that if you were building luxury cars, you'd want to put your first stores where there are enough people with the means and inclination to spend the money for the latest and greatest. Sensible midwesterners, to their credit, probably don't fit that bill as well as people in the cities where the first stores are supposed to go up.

Market research would be pretty easy really.

1. Roadster sales. (Seattle really caught them off-gaurd)
2. High income communities with Ferrari, Lambo, etc. sales centers
3. Green communities. Austin, Portland, SF, Anytown giving out incentives and setting up chargers.

The other factor is timing. Austin may not have enough well heeled buyers for Roadsters and enough Model S' to move up store opens no matter how green they are but once the affordable Bluestars is out they will be pounding down the doors.

1. Roadster sales. (Seattle really caught them off-gaurd)
2. High income communities with Ferrari, Lambo, etc. sales centers
3. Green communities. Austin, Portland, SF, Anytown giving out incentives and setting up chargers.

Seattle is an area that satisfies your #2 and #3 criteria, hence the #1 result of a "surprising" (not surprising to us Seattleites and Eastsiders!) number of Roadster sales.

Last edited:
Back in the "go-go" days of the Internet, Ferrari put a dealership right around the corner from AOL, where many of the early employees were becoming millionaires.

At a nearby brew pub, I used to see a Ferrari with a plate that said THX AOL.

Back in those days, marketing high end automobiles wasn't rocket surgery. :biggrin:

Should we assume that Tesla has done market research on where they are most likely to be able to sell what are essentially luxury cars, assuming that Roadster and Model S are their two main products for several years? This isn't scientific, but living in Miami, I can tell you that BMWs, Mercedes, Lexuses and Audis, all selling for over $50k, are as common on the roads here as any other car you'll see. Within two counties (Dade and Broward), which is about 30 miles end to end, there are 6 BMW dealerships. I think there are 5 in the entire state of Missouri.

This is not necessarily a compliment to or value judgment on either location (or any other location where luxury cars are ubiquitous). Rather, just pointing out that if you were building luxury cars, you'd want to put your first stores where there are enough people with the means and inclination to spend the money for the latest and greatest. Sensible midwesterners, to their credit, probably don't fit that bill as well as people in the cities where the first stores are supposed to go up.

Of course you're right, and I think I acknowledged that in my post. Still, I think you can make an arguement that those with the $$ would be just as likely to travel a couple hours for their cars.

Yeah I had talked to Joe Powers about that and I am not sure if you were around or not. When they said Winter of 2010 they actually meant the winter 2009-2010 or end of this year. Maybe they solidified a location while they were here ?!?!? Are they moving in early or is FALL closer to the original goal of end of the year ?

What do you think the chances of a store in Toronto, Canada opening before the model S starts shipping?

- mnx

So much right now, I think, depends on them getting the Department of Energy loan money, but assuming they hit their business plan targets, I'd say it's almost a dead certainty. There was an article a couple of months ago here about Tesla selling in Canada. The article says, "The first model to be delivered to Canadian customers will be sourced from regional centers in Seattle and New York, but Tesla plans to open new dealerships in Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec, with all of them especially aimed at helping the company expand its coverage." Assuming Toronto is still in Ontario, you should be OK :wink:

Tesla plans 7 regional sales/service sites

Not sure if this was posted:

Tesla plans 7 regional sales/service sites - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal:

Tesla Motors Inc. said Thursday it plans to open seven regional sales and service centers across North America and in London.

Stores in New York, Seattle and Chicago will open in late June, followed by Miami. The San Carlos-based electric car company said it is also scouting locations in Washington, D.C., and Toronto.

Tesla’s first European store is scheduled to open in London later this month, followed by locations in Munich and Monaco.

The new stores join Tesla's locations in Menlo Park and Los Angeles. The company is celebrating the one-year anniversary of opening its first store with a 60-mile road rally from West L.A. to Malibu that it said will include several dozen Tesla owners and their cars.

Tesla on Wednesday said it had delivered its 500th Roadster and has 1,000 reservations for its Model S electric sedan.

Edit: Thanks for moving it to a better location.

-Shark2k

Last edited:
I just applied to a job at the Tesla Motors in New York City which was posted yesterday online. Could the New York store really be ready to open in a few weeks when it appears they haven't hired employees for that store yet?

I just applied to a job at the Tesla Motors in New York City which was posted yesterday online. Could the New York store really be ready to open in a few weeks when it appears they haven't hired employees for that store yet?

Jobs have been open for a couple of months in all of the locations that they've announced stores (London, NY, Miami, Seattle, Chicago etc.).

Good luck with the job, Art. Just don't try to be their latex salesman :wink::tongue: