Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newly installed refurbished battery concerns...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm dealing with this right now... I had been lured to believe that a refurbished battery pack was similar to new as it was stated by Tesla Service that it had the same warranty. Price difference was about four or five thousand dollars as estimate for new pack was $21,000 and refurbished was $16,000.

I had a new (90kW) HV battery pack in 2012 Model S "vehicle one" replaced earlier this year. A second vehicle, 2012 Model S "vehicle two" had a refurbished battery replaced VERY recently.

NEW HV BATTERY PACK...
Supercharges over 115kW at lower states of charge

REFURBISHED BATTERY PACK...
Supercharges at 55kW or so MAXIMUM!

I've been told... "I don't see anything wrong" "it's within spec" yada yada...

I was never told that I would get half the performance for just a several thousand dollars difference.

I'm so incredibly frustrated.

I'm hoping they'll see the simplicity in allowing me to pay for the difference on a new one as regular supercharging with this "refurbished" battery is a nightmare and I undoubtedly WILL be losing sleep over this until it is resolved. It's almost 0200 right now...

@wk057 ?

Does anyone have any specs on refurbished HV Battery Packs?

Assuming the refurbished pack put into the 2012 is an 85kwh pack, yeah, most of them max out at about 50-60kw supercharging these days. Refurbished batteries don’t claim or provide “like new” performance.

There is no set spec for them - they’re failed units from literally any time in the past 12 years that have been refurbished to operating condition (usually by replacing internal electronics like the battery management boards). The cells themselves are not replaced.

Assuming the refurbished pack put into the 2012 is an 85kwh pack, yeah, most of them max out at about 50-60kw supercharging these days. Refurbished batteries don’t claim or provide “like new” performance.

There is no set spec for them - they’re failed units from literally any time in the past 12 years that have been refurbished to operating condition (usually by replacing internal electronics like the battery management boards). The cells themselves are not replaced.
Thanks. I'm going to ask for new one as no one at Tesla disclosed that I should expect lackluster performance on a refurbished one.

BMS can limit the charge rate based on many factors giving the specific state of particular battery at the time of charge:
Cells at different temperature.
Cells at different voltage.
Cells not ready for C-rating charge.
Built in charger hot or cold.
BMS learning patterns adjusting.

The only way you'll get faster supercharging speeds and original EPA rated range is with a Tesla new (not reman) packs. Tesla is only one making new packs. Everything else out there is old stuff.

That said, one could get faster supercharging speeds and close to original EPA rated range with a newer salvage yard replacement pack. However that will still cost around $10k with little or no warranty.

Reactions: cwerdna