Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie here, will be placing an order soon, please answer a few questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is complicated. I live in the middle of Los Angeles in a condominium. I commute to work with total of 70 miles miles per day 4 days per week. I currently drive 15 Audi Q5 TDI which gets excellent MPG (~35 MPG highway), so even with my commute I spend $40/week in gas (not bad). I have wanted a Tesla since Model S came out. I am actually in line for Model 3. Biggest issue for me is charging in a condo. My HOA board has no issues with me installing a charger. A few years ago I had an electrician and a guy from Edison ( my electric company) come out to assess my building. Edison guy told me installation would be difficult and expensive since building was built in 1982 and we apparently do not get full 240V to the building, only ~180V. To be completely honest, I don't think he did any kind of detailed assessment, it seemed like he just didn't want to deal with it. I need to have a qualified electrician come out and tell me exactly what I can and can't have. Last night, I learned about a company called EverCharge and I contacted them last night. Hopefully, I can talk talk to them today. I thought I have time, but with this 1/1/17 I have to hurry up lol!
With your situation, the free supercharging may be even more important. If you can't charge at home, check the locations of superchargers around you. Being in Los Angeles, there are a lot of them and you may be able to just plan to always charge there (check the 'Find Us' link on the Tesla web site for supercharger locations). They're supposed to be used for distance travel, but if you don't have the means to charge at home because of where you live, I'm sure Tesla would prefer to have your business than not.

So if it looks like you will need the supercharger for your daily use, you may want to make sure you qualify and order soon to get a projected March delivery. By the way, make sure that you print the MyTesla page that projects the March delivery after you've ordered, just in case it changes later. As long as they projected March initially, they will honor the free supercharging even if your delivery slips past March later.

My situation is complicated. I live in the middle of Los Angeles in a condominium. I commute to work with total of 70 miles miles per day 4 days per week. I currently drive 15 Audi Q5 TDI which gets excellent MPG (~35 MPG highway), so even with my commute I spend $40/week in gas (not bad). I have wanted a Tesla since Model S came out. I am actually in line for Model 3. Biggest issue for me is charging in a condo. My HOA board has no issues with me installing a charger. A few years ago I had an electrician and a guy from Edison ( my electric company) come out to assess my building. Edison guy told me installation would be difficult and expensive since building was built in 1982 and we apparently do not get full 240V to the building, only ~180V. To be completely honest, I don't think he did any kind of detailed assessment, it seemed like he just didn't want to deal with it. I need to have a qualified electrician come out and tell me exactly what I can and can't have. Last night, I learned about a company called EverCharge and I contacted them last night. Hopefully, I can talk talk to them today. I thought I have time, but with this 1/1/17 I have to hurry up lol!
I forgot to mention, I would also recommend you go for the autopilot 2.0 hardware that will be capable of enhanced autopilot and self driving, whether you pay for those options initially of not, and whether you make a new order or buy from inventory. You're future proofing your purchase. Read about those features on the Tesla web site.

Thank you so much everyone who contributed to this thread.

I spent most of the day at Century City Tesla store. This morning, I looked at a Tesla aggregator and a new inventory car popped up. After a test drive (drove MX 90D, MS 75D and MS P100D w/ludicrous- wow), lots of back and forth with a very helpful CA, I ended up buying this:

Model X 90D 88,000 Including $7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit
All-Wheel Drive Included
EXTERIOR
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint 1,000
20" Silver Wheels Included INTERIOR
Ultra White Seats 2,500
Matte Obeche Wood Décor Included
Front Console Included Black Headliner Included
Seven Seat Interior 4,000
CHARGING High Amperage Charger Upgrade 1,000
OPTIONS
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features 2,500
Premium Upgrades Package 4,500
Smart Air Suspension Included
Subzero Weather Package 1,000
Towing Package 750

Destination & Doc Fee 1,200
Referral (1,000)
Showroom Discount (19,100)
VEHICLE PRICE AFTER TAX CREDIT 86,350

This vehicle came with a crazy $19,100 discount and I just couldn't pass it up. I thought long and hard about AP 2.0. The same would have easily been over $20-25,000 more (all inventory AP 2.0 cars were at least $120K or more). This is going to be my wife's car and for her purposes, AP 1.0 is plenty. I am in line for M3 and may get it with AP2.0 and ludicrous (hell yeah!).

I paid full price on the spot, and should have the car in the next 2-3 weeks.

Can't wait! So excited!

Thank you so much everyone who contributed to this thread.

I spent most of the day at Century City Tesla store. This morning, I looked at a Tesla aggregator and a new inventory car popped up. After a test drive (drove MX 90D, MS 75D and MS P100D w/ludicrous- wow), lots of back and forth with a very helpful CA, I ended up buying this:

Model X 90D 88,000 Including $7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit
All-Wheel Drive Included
EXTERIOR
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint 1,000
20" Silver Wheels Included INTERIOR
Ultra White Seats 2,500
Matte Obeche Wood Décor Included
Front Console Included Black Headliner Included
Seven Seat Interior 4,000
CHARGING High Amperage Charger Upgrade 1,000
OPTIONS
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features 2,500
Premium Upgrades Package 4,500
Smart Air Suspension Included
Subzero Weather Package 1,000
Towing Package 750

Destination & Doc Fee 1,200
Referral (1,000)
Showroom Discount (19,100)
VEHICLE PRICE AFTER TAX CREDIT 86,350

This vehicle came with a crazy $19,100 discount and I just couldn't pass it up. I thought long and hard about AP 2.0. The same would have easily been over $20-25,000 more (all inventory AP 2.0 cars were at least $120K or more). This is going to be my wife's car and for her purposes, AP 1.0 is plenty. I am in line for M3 and may get it with AP2.0 and ludicrous (hell yeah!).

I paid full price on the spot, and should have the car in the next 2-3 weeks.

Can't wait! So excited!

Great choice. Enjoy it.