Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

Still waiting on my tesla but had a question about the charging. I am living an apt for now and they have the EV charging in certain areas. I bought the mobile connector, what else would I need to charge my tesla here? Adapter?

I am living an apt for now and they have the EV charging in certain areas. I bought the mobile connector, what else would I need to charge my tesla here? Adapter?
I'll add a clarifying point here. That mobile charging cable is only for plugging the car into building electrical outlets. That's not something you are going to find or use much out in the public. If there is any form of electric car charging station, it won't use that cable at all. As @Unclepaul mentioned, if you can give a bit more detail about what these stations are, then we can give more specific advice.

But here's what you will find as far as public charging stations:
There is the slower one, where people would park for a few hours. This plug is called J1772 and is smaller. All Tesla cars already come with an adapter for this.

Then there are two fast charging plug types, which are CHAdeMO and CCS. At the moment, it's hard to get adapters for these. Tesla sold an adapter for CHAdeMO--I have one--but it's been out of stock for quite a while. For CCS, Tesla isn't selling an adapter for this in the U.S. yet but have announced it's coming at some point in the future.

Hello everyone,

Still waiting on my tesla but had a question about the charging. I am living an apt for now and they have the EV charging in certain areas. I bought the mobile connector, what else would I need to charge my tesla here? Adapter?
You should just need the small Tesla to J1772 adapter that comes with the car. The mobile adapter isn't used for normal EV charging stations.

Reactions: JayoP7
It should come with the vehicle. It's the mobile connector that used to come with the car and doesn't any more. If for some reason it didn't, you can buy them from the Tesla store for $50.
Had to order this separately because it did not come with the vehicle :

Order Summary
sodl2nBaHB1U66iGuuo6ik6JWN5fA_5b0FEFPaHLydyAnxjk43JvcYh_dVjzXJYPcro66Y_4r9_Pz11AvWtooPFfGUZq-SyXl1lvh-Oiq5vszRhEIXBgFZGGK6tNwuXid9xTwsLxF2N4WepMY7EptcN2afcW3lo1IO5JPCCz59oaCi3urVWmcjJLHamueKc=s0-d-e1-ft
Mobile Connector
NEMA 5-15 & 14-50

Had to order this separately because it did not come with the vehicle
Order Summary
sodl2nBaHB1U66iGuuo6ik6JWN5fA_5b0FEFPaHLydyAnxjk43JvcYh_dVjzXJYPcro66Y_4r9_Pz11AvWtooPFfGUZq-SyXl1lvh-Oiq5vszRhEIXBgFZGGK6tNwuXid9xTwsLxF2N4WepMY7EptcN2afcW3lo1IO5JPCCz59oaCi3urVWmcjJLHamueKc=s0-d-e1-ft
Mobile Connector
NEMA 5-15 & 14-50
Yes, that's the mobile connector used to plug into normal electrical outlets. This is the J1772 adapter, used with normal EV charging stations, it comes with the car:

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and JayoP7
Finally got around to taking pics of the outlets! But here are the two outlets by some of the spots. I have ordered the mobile connector, would there be anything else I would need?

Attachments

• FE09E7BC-BD6A-4E12-B18E-F17657688CB4.jpeg
    FE09E7BC-BD6A-4E12-B18E-F17657688CB4.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 6397A727-8BD8-4E99-ACF4-14DA883D375F.jpeg
    6397A727-8BD8-4E99-ACF4-14DA883D375F.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 34
Finally got around to taking pics of the outlets! But here are the two outlets by some of the spots. I have ordered the mobile connector, would there be anything else I would need?
Good to have the pictures, so we can give definite answers. The two you posted are a 5-20 (120V 20A) and a 14-50 (240V 50A).
I think the mobile connector cable sold in the store now includes two adapter plugs--the 5-15 and the 14-50. The 5-15 plug can go in that 5-20 receptacle. They're made backward compatible like that (notice how that one slot is T shaped, so it can take a blade that is vertical or horizontal?) But if you want to get a bit more charging speed from that, you could order the Tesla 5-20 adapter too. But if you get to use the 14-50, you wouldn't be needing that other one anyway.

Reactions: JayoP7
Good to have the pictures, so we can give definite answers. The two you posted are a 5-20 (120V 20A) and a 14-50 (240V 50A).
I think the mobile connector cable sold in the store now includes two adapter plugs--the 5-15 and the 14-50. The 5-15 plug can go in that 5-20 receptacle. They're made backward compatible like that (notice how that one slot is T shaped, so it can take a blade that is vertical or horizontal?) But if you want to get a bit more charging speed from that, you could order the Tesla 5-20 adapter too. But if you get to use the 14-50, you wouldn't be needing that other one anyway.
Awesome, thank you for the info!