Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tidbits from the facts page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but cabin temperature is regulated even when no one is in the car so it's always a sublime 70 degrees inside the Model S. No need for gloves.
How do you figure that?? I can't plug in at work, the car will sit outside cooling down to ambient temperature during the day. Perhaps there will be a 'pre-warm' option--when I'm able to predict when I'm leaving and if I'm bright enough to remember to use it!

I forsee times I'm going to need to pull of the gloves to change the radio, adjust the temp, etc. Not major, but one of those little annoyances. Perhaps I'll just need to switch over my gloves gradually over time.
I believe all of those are going to be on the driver's wheel as well, unless you're talking about wearing gloves and needing to do it as the passenger.

At the Oct. 1st event, Elon Musk made it sound like the car would keep the cabin within a certain semi-comfortable range (maybe 60-90 degrees) and then only go to your preset of 70 degrees for example of you used your iPhone or mobile app to notify car.

Capacitive is great, Evan... (OK, that's an opinion of course, but here's why):

-Capacitive screens are *way* more reactive to input...they just feel much more natural in use.
-Regarding gloves: You can find gloves that are made for use with capacitive touchscreens. They're not expensive at all and work great. I got some for Christmas.

Here's just one example...the first that came up after a 5 second Google:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2762875701P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM2762875701
Macy's had the Isotoner flavor for $25 this week. :)

How do you figure that?? I can't plug in at work, the car will sit outside cooling down to ambient temperature during the day. Perhaps there will be a 'pre-warm' option--when I'm able to predict when I'm leaving and if I'm bright enough to remember to use it!

Elon Musk has made the point multiple times that because the Model S has a giant battery and the HVAC controls are electric that you have total control over the HVAC at all times so you can

(1) set it to maintain a certain temperature (or temperature range) all day long
(2) set it to maintain a certain temperature on a schedule (every weekday at 8AM and 5PM for example)
(3) set it to maintain a certain temperature from your iPhone on an ad hoc basis

He even said it would be so smart that it could learn your habits and adjust accordingly without any user input. That is kind of freaky and I'm thinking that won't happen out of the box.

Comfortable at 90? Did satan put in an order?
I made those numbers up but I believe in the Texas summer, the interior can get well above 100. Point is that unless you wanted the AC going for 8 hours while you were away to keep the car at 70 degrees, the car would be allowed to stay in a range and it would be faster to cool the car down once you told the car to do so with your mobile app.

Capacitive is great, Evan... (OK, that's an opinion of course, but here's why):

-Capacitive screens are *way* more reactive to input...they just feel much more natural in use.
-Regarding gloves: You can find gloves that are made for use with capacitive touchscreens. They're not expensive at all and work great. I got some for Christmas.

Here's just one example...the first that came up after a 5 second Google:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2762875701P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM2762875701

I just received the Agloves (Touch Screen Gloves | Best Texting Gloves | Agloves Conductive Gloves) for Christmas. Instead of using specific spots of capacitive fabric at the finger and thumb, the Agloves weave silver ("AG", get it?) throughout the glove. I've been very happy with them so far, although with the freakishly warm weather we're having here in the Chicago area I haven't had much opportunity to use them.

Note also that Aglove offers bulk purchase and customization options. Maybe all of us cold weather Model S buyers could go in on a group order of the gloves with the Tesla Motors logo on them. Or maybe that could be a special perk that Tesla throws in for Signature owners: branded, silver threaded gloves = well worth $3500. :wink:

Is there any information on how the battery heating/cooling happens i.e. what range of temperature will S maintain ? Also, what kind of range penalty heating has and does it have a heat pump or a traditional A/C ?

I beleive Roadster doesn't lose much of range in cold weather (above freezing) - but S being a much larger car would be a different beast. I think we can expect 20% or more loss of range in cold weather.