Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla app animations, 👍 or 👎 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its still somewhat on topic for this thread (since it shows the colors and what powerwall providing power looks like), but here is what it looks like for me if I am charging my car at night, and letting the powerwalls provide power by having the reserve low enough for them to do so:

charging.png
Why is one of your lines to the home not green if you are discharging the PW?

Here is a cropped pick I just took from my tesla app, after triggering my wifes model Y to charge (love that I can do this while I am 40 miles away at work, lol)

I have the complete reverse problem… my wife will text me that the house is too cold even with the thermostat set to 75F, then she’ll turn on the space heater even when I’m telling her “nooooo”.

FYI my Tesla app is still the previous version.

Why is one of your lines to the home not green if you are discharging the PW?
It is... that picture (the one you are quoting) is discharging from the powerwall to the house, and the grid is also going to the house. The line isnt continuously green, its "flowing" and thats the point where the screenshot was taken. That green line continued toward the house after the screenshot was taken (animated).

Reactions: aesculus
It is... that picture (the one you are quoting) is discharging from the powerwall to the house, and the grid is also going to the house. The line isnt continuously green, its "flowing" and thats the point where the screenshot was taken. That green line continued toward the house after the screenshot was taken (animated).
Ah. You should have posted a GIF. :)

Looks exactly the same to me, so I don't know how to rate it
Animation coming from grid is now gray instead of green. Animation from solar is now yellow instead of green. Animation from Powerwall is still green.*

And there are multiple animation paths from the gateway to the home load (window graphic) so you can see where each of the new colors are going. Multiple paths to grid I assume too, but have yet to see those.

* I wonder what color the path from the ultra rare generator hookup that the gateway is aware of will be.

Animation coming from grid is now gray instead of green. Animation from solar is now yellow instead of green. Animation from Powerwall is still green.*

And there are multiple animation paths from the gateway to the home load (window graphic) so you can see where each of the new colors are going. Multiple paths to grid I assume too, but have yet to see those.

* I wonder what color the path from the ultra rare generator hookup that the gateway is aware of will be.
Yeah I saw that. At the time I made my reply my house was running solely off the battery during peak time. So it was just green (like it always was) going from battery to house.) Now that all 4 (battery, solar, grid, and house) are active I see the colors

The DC power is going through the solar inverter on top of the Powerwall+ and thus converted to AC before being sent to the house in the animation.

Tongue in cheek maybe?🤪

The DC energy coming down from the rooftop solar array is depicted with the same yellow line/style as the AC energy going from the PW2+ to the gateway. EEeeekkkk.

Yes, highly tongue in cheek lol. But people have tweeted Elon for less and gotten a response from him so who knows.

But I have Enphase micros on my rooftop, so the home run coming down from my rooftop is AC. My graphical visualizations would be ok using the same yellow flowy bars :p

• Funny
Reactions: Jeremy3292
Thats my understanding, yes although some of the data sheets for the powerwall+ show higher burst mode for providing power.

Nevertheless, you should be able to get 10kW of continuous power out of your 2 powerwalls, unless there is some specific technical reason in your setup which precludes that (which I havent heard of).

If you have a 60amp circuit for charging your car, have you tried triggering car charging at night, even for a few minutes, until it ramps up to 48amp? I only mention car charging because its the largest load that most people who have EVs can easily start and stop at will.

Its still somewhat on topic for this thread (since it shows the colors and what powerwall providing power looks like), but here is what it looks like for me if I am charging my car at night, and letting the powerwalls provide power by having the reserve low enough for them to do so:

View attachment 912448
Well, I started carefully poking around in the inverter panel and found the problem. One of my powerwalls was not connected! There is a cable bundle from the powerwall below and it terminates to a black 4-pin rectangle shape plug. It was just an inch away from the orange panel where all the other stuff is wired. There was seemingly only one place this was supposed to go. I powered down the system, plugged it in, powered it all up again and, voila, fixed!
If I hadn’t seen your @jjrandorin screenshot, I may have never known. I wonder why Tesla couldn’t see my system underperforming? I even did chat and they did some monitoring. They escalated me to tier 2 but said it’s 5 weeks for response.
My system will be happy for summer and all those Watts I’ll need.

Well, I started carefully poking around in the inverter panel and found the problem. One of my powerwalls was not connected! There is a cable bundle from the powerwall below and it terminates to a black 4-pin rectangle shape plug. It was just an inch away from the orange panel where all the other stuff is wired. There was seemingly only one place this was supposed to go. I powered down the system, plugged it in, powered it all up again and, voila, fixed!
If I hadn’t seen your @jjrandorin screenshot, I may have never known. I wonder why Tesla couldn’t see my system underperforming? I even did chat and they did some monitoring. They escalated me to tier 2 but said it’s 5 weeks for response.
My system will be happy for summer and all those Watts I’ll need.

Glad that it helped 👍

For me, this type of thing is what online forums are for (helping each other figure out stuff about products). Increasingly, they have become about stuff other than that, but thats another discussion entirely, lol.

Better granular control of powerwall energy output would be nice.

Example: Self powered, reserve used for house, car charge from grid after X time.

Not how it currently behaves. Where the car drains powerwall(s) to reserve then pulls from grid.

Not quite sure how the TEG/Gen3 HPWC/car would handle this, but since everyone is dreaming I figured someone smarter than I attempt to code the series of ‘if then’.

Yes, I realize this could be accomplished by having the HPWC not on the backed up load panel, but that isn’t an option. There are times I need to / want to drain the powerwalls into the car and not pull from the grid during peak.

Reactions: jgleigh
I believe its new as of the tesla app version that @jhn_ mentioned..... with the caveat that I am using iOS to access the tesla app, so dont know if android has been updated yet.

EDIT:

Here is a cropped pick I just took from my tesla app, after triggering my wifes model Y to charge (love that I can do this while I am 40 miles away at work, lol)

View attachment 912348
I've had my solar system for about a month now and I've always seen the power glow in green. Yesterday however, the power flow was orange. Does anyone understand what that means? Orange, yellow or red in most things indicate an issue but I can't find any information and my installer is not available to ask? Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks!

I've had my solar system for about a month now and I've always seen the power glow in green. Yesterday however, the power flow was orange. Does anyone understand what that means? Orange, yellow or red in most things indicate an issue but I can't find any information and my installer is not available to ask? Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks!

The orange power flow (as it relates to the tesla app) is power coming from your solar panels.

orange = power from solar panels
Green = power from powerwalls
greyish white = power from grid.

In post #27 in this thread, the screenshot shared indicates that solar power is going into the house to provide electricity for the home.