Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "stay-on HVAC" versus battery level, while charging in extreme cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Ran an experiment today with results that may help others through this cold spell.

Check out the new stay-on heat after parking feature that got released recently. After putting the car in Park, press the climate controls pop-up and you'll see it there on the bottom "stay on" slider... chose this to keep the car warm.

It's bitterly cold here.. hitting around -30C and I wanted to see the effect on battery level SOC when keeping the car constantly warmed, while charging from a 120V/20A source using UMC and Tesla NEMA 5-20 plug adapter fitted to it.

Scenario:
- after long drive and battery heat stabilization on the trip...
- supercharged the car to 90%, drove it to parking spot few miles away and was 87% SOC at 9:15am
- outside temp was -27C. Bright sunny day. But COLD.
- set the HVAC heat level to 15.5C, all "auto" except: no AC, feet and face heat only (no windshield)
- put car in park, slider for heat to "stay-on" which cranked the fan up a bit, so I cranked it manually down to 2
- range mode slider OFF
- no seat heaters, no other accessory heaters on

I picked the lowest possible consumption of cabin heating. 15.5C is the lowest setting on the dial before it just reads "LO" which means the heater will not come on. For reference: room temp is about 20C and that's where I typically have it set while driving.

Mid-day check, 3 hours later... I visit the car and HVAC has stayed on... I didn't drive the car, just checked on it. The interior is keeping warm and is very comfortably warmer at 15.5 than the -25C outside (rose a bit since morning). No frost on any windows. Annnnd (drum roll please) the SOC is 88%.

Green port blinking, still charging... my set point of 90% has not been reached. Was it ever during this period? Doubt it.
I think it's been one continuous charge at 2kW rate (max the 5-20 plug can suck) as the HVAC has been cycling to keep car at 15.5 drawing off the battery as needed. Almost an even race.

I suspect solar heating is easing the demand on battery a bit. Re-doing this experiment at night would be a good thing to check. If holds true, this way of "trickle heating" overnight seems viable with no fear of big range loss for morning travel and may help alleviate a lot of grumpy cold startup / wakeup issues some people report, and I have experienced on cold soaked mornings too.

The experiment now continues into the afternoon. I'll follow-up with more observations like when I drive, where is the yellow dashed line, do I have regen, is there a blue snowflake... did SOC hit 90%.. did it stop charge and re-start repeatedly cycling up to 90% - App notices will tell that... etc.

Last edited:
BTW - If the car was not doing HVAC stay-warm on a day like this and I didn't use the App to warm it up just prior... then already by noon I'd be greeted with a frozen ass on the seat, very likely no regen, possibly blue snowflake, and a massive battery heating cycle to suffer through (somewhat alleviated by putting range mode ON).

Also when the car is plugged into the same source on cold days like this, the App will begin reporting repeated charging cut-outs and re-starts as battery temps plummet to a frozen block again. I think it refuses to accept any charge even thought there's room on the dial... it's just too stone cold. Car will then do battery heat cycle, then charger starts up when it can accept charge again.

On winter days I'm typically only gaining half as much SOC over the day, whereas in summer I'm consistently +16% from this 5-20A source (which allows my to draw the maximum 16A offered on the in-car dial).

Last edited:
End of day update

At 4:15pm the car had been charging and heating all day (7 hours) during a cold snap that normally would have soaked the car and battery to the point of blue snowflake.

The outside temp had "warmed" up to -24C by this time, and sun was now very low and almost setting. No more solar heat to help for maybe an hour already.

The SOC at 4:15 was 86%, so it dipped a bit from the mid-day inspection where it had actually gained juice. Now, just 1% below when I first parked in the a.m.

Tesla App notices did NOT report a bunch of charging stopped / started messages so I believe the 90% was never hit, and the battery was constantly charging all day. As the heater dipped into it to maintain 15.5 interior and doing what it pleases with battery warming.

So I accidentally found a magic balancing point, that on a -25C day with 2kW (16A/120V) source gives about break-even %SOC with HVAC dialed into 15.5C all day... call it a rule of thumb. YMMV

Had today been any colder (or setting HVAC any hotter) battery probably would have slipped down more % on SOC. Any warmer of a day and I probably would have reached my 90% set point.

In summary,

Pleasant news: the battery was kept warmed all day... No blue snowflake instead I had about 20 kW available (yellow bar) for accepting regen at the beginning of the drive home. The car began a brief battery heat cycle that quieted down after just a couple km travel. The first 10km trip yielded 222 Wh/km (VERY GOOD!) efficiency at these frigid outdoor temps, and that's after I turned up HVAC to about 20C and flicked on Range mode when I started out.

So if I were road tripping on similar cold days and wanted to head out in the morning for maximum range... I would supercharge at night then seek out a nearby hotel with just a normal plug (5-20 source) and set HVAC to stay on all night at 15.5. This keeps the battery warm (interior warming is kind of a bonus), and not worry about SOC falling overnight (it may even rise and hit set point again!). I'd feel pretty confident about temperatures dipping down to about -20C outside overnight. Worst case: if I screwed up, or the weatherman screwed up and got colder, it all stops at 20% SOC which is the Tesla imposed limit for stay-on HVAC... Then drive to the supercharger in the a.m.

I would want to experiment a bit more using NEMA 5-15 (12A/120V) adapter to find the magic balancing point for break-even with a given outside temp. Maybe that adapter is only adequate for -15C outdoor temps?

From a weak source like this, it could not supply enough to preheat a blue flake battery without also feeding off the battery cutting into range... But this is something for me to try too.. next cold snap!

I think a big factor in being able to break even on SOC using this low power source is coming down off a drive and supercharger that had brought the battery up to snuggly warm (no yellow limiter). It just has to maintain heat and not overcome the thermal inertia of a blue block.

This set and forget all day HVAC trick would be handy for on-call type people who never know when they might need to leave.