Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Sale on P85D Showroom Cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you send me a link to your thread about the non-autopilot cars? I couldn't find it. Are these discounts bigger or about the same?

Since non-autopilot cars had to have been built prior to Sept-2014, they are inherently older. Because the discount is based on age and mileage, the older the car becomes the deeper the discount. Hence, if you were going to compare a car pre-Sept-2014 vs post-Sept-2014, the cheaper option (deep discount) would typically be the earlier cars. On the same token, the overall price of the car is obviously based on how it was configured, so you might find a P85 RWD from early last year that is actually discounted enough as an inventory car to be as inexpensive net cost as a standard 85 with less options and less discount later in the year.

Your closest store would be your best bet. Call them up, and tell them what you're after. They should be able to tell you what exists out there... some stores require deposits first that just depends. But there are definitely inventory cars with nice discounts to be had!

Has anyone seen any larger discounts as we approach the end of the month?

I was wondering if we would see some cars that are >4 months old have a 10% discount plus $1 / mile, which would be a lot off.... But I talked to the rep and haven't found that to be the case yet.

it's the usual end of quarter mad rush to dump all their inventory. they do this last 1-2 weeks of every quarter. they are under so much scrutiny that obviously any number below analyst expectations will be viewed bad and stock will get dumped. but every end of quarter Tesla does seem to be able to dump their entire inventory quickly usually resulting in sales numbers barely above expectations. trying to get a loaner car in the last 2 weeks of every quarter is almost impossible. even if you are lucky to get a loaner car it wouldn't be unusual for you to get a call saying 'hey we need that car back NOW as we just sold it and its not ours anymore".

I agree with you completely and I'm pretty much on the same boat. We are looking for available options that come up but the key thing about buying an inventory car is to make sure it is a reasonable discount less than the car with the options you actually want. I also feel the same way as you about the $2,500 wheels. They really don't do anything for me and if a large discount negates them that is fine but I definitely don't want to pay for something that is of no value for me.

Given that a bunch of inventory cars are loaded down with options you may not need to the tune of about $10K, it takes about a $20K discount to make the inventory car worthwhile to consider as that's about a $10 actual discount after factoring out options you don't want.

Right now I am seeing discounts around $12K for P85Ds but that is meaningless for cars that might have $10K or more in options that don't mean anything to me. If I'm just saving < $5 might as well buy new.

Hmm... So, I could wait until June or the fall to get the same deal.... or I could get the car now. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

There are only a few things off with the showroom demo car:

It has some things I don't think I want:
- 19" cyclone wheels instead of base 19" wheels. I don't think there is any functional difference and they cost $2500...
- Carbon fiber spoiler. $1000 for this?

and it is missing two things I might want:
- Premium interior. I don't care about the extra leather, since it has next gen seats, but I wish it had the extra LED lighting! I doubt that is worth $4500, though.
- Subzero package. It is only $750, why not?

I drove a P85D twice before placing my order. Each time, I drove it about 5 miles and each time I did 5 or so insane mode launches. That's one insane launch for every mile. I did the test loop twice that the sales people suggest. It was optimized for the most number of insane launches from s stop.

I decided that an inventory car with say 3K miles on it would have done 3000 insane mode launches, WAY WAYYYYY more than I will ever do in hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'd consider buying an inventory S85 if that's the model I was looking at, but you'd have to discount a P85D far more than these $11K discounts that people are reporting to get me to bite on a car that has been so abused.

This coming from a guy that never buys new. I always buy used. Except this time.

I agree completely! P85Ds likely get insanely abused. I wouldn't consider one unless the discount was at least about $20K especially because most actually have about $10k in options of no value to me...

I drove a P85D twice before placing my order. Each time, I drove it about 5 miles and each time I did 5 or so insane mode launches. That's one insane launch for every mile. I did the test loop twice that the sales people suggest. It was optimized for the most number of insane launches from s stop.

I decided that an inventory car with say 3K miles on it would have done 3000 insane mode launches, WAY WAYYYYY more than I will ever do in hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'd consider buying an inventory S85 if that's the model I was looking at, but you'd have to discount a P85D far more than these $11K discounts that people are reporting to get me to bite on a car that has been so abused.

This coming from a guy that never buys new. I always buy used. Except this time.

Just an aside. I did a 25 mile loop and 2 launches. I wouldn't be really worried with an 8 year unlimited drivetrain warranty. Tires you can look at. I'm not sure how much other wear there would be.

I forgot - I also did an overnight and put 150 miles on. Certainly less than 10 launches. Why - well I had people in the car most of the time. Only one who really loved it was my 5 year old.