Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New red CA HOV Decal last until January 1, 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because not all Teslas can use the HOV lane. Only the ones who have applied for the CAV decals and paid the fee.

And no, not every Tesla may qualify based on the following:

Although the FAQ says battery vehicle and over income limit says CAV only and no rebate. Shrug.

I called and ask about that. You get both (decal and 2.5k) . Unless you make more than 150K or 300K combined income.

Reactions: radiocycle
Here's my question now. How are they gonna keep track now considering they are sending out red stickers for replacements if your original white colored ones are "stolen"? Will they replace all stickers and if they do, how will they keep track of the ones that request one in Jan/19, since those are supposed to have an extra year? DMV at it's finest!

Red Stickers for 2017/2018 are somewhat different qualifications - those issued after 1/1/18 have the limitation on income.

You will have to fill out the form, sign under penalty of perjury in the correct spot - and likely pay more $$$

The other document you will get will be the piece of paper authorizing use of the HOV with the 1/1/22 expiration date . . .

This piece of paper is the most important authorization to use the HOV lane - it is prima facie to the CHP or other police organization of the right to use the lanes.

The other document you will get will be the piece of paper authorizing use of the HOV with the 1/1/22 expiration date . . .

This piece of paper is the most important authorization to use the HOV lane - it is prima facie to the CHP or other police organization of the right to use the lanes.

Yeah, the paper is the most important way to tell. You're supposed to keep it in the car with you. It's highly unlikely a cop will pull you over after that Jan 1 where some red stickers might be expired while others might not be, but if they do, that's the paper they're gonna be looking for. I've heard of officers, under one of those crackdown programs where they pull everyone over, ask for the paper just to make sure the stickers are for the right car. That's usually when someone only has like 1 sticker on the car instead of all of them in their correct places though.

I've studied up. I understand the over/under situation of Jan 1 2019. But I still have a question for anybody who wishes to take a stab a it.

My goal is to have the stickers post Jan 1, 2019, so that compared to having them today, I have a net gain of 9.5 months of use. The process seems to take a few weeks. So... can I order them a few weeks before 2019 and have them delivered after Jan 1? Is the important date when the stickers are issued, or when the application is submitted?

Yes, just trying to split hairs, and I'm sure I'll just wait until Jan 1 to submit the application....

Reactions: Pkmmte
I've studied up. I understand the over/under situation of Jan 1 2019. But I still have a question for anybody who wishes to take a stab a it.

My goal is to have the stickers post Jan 1, 2019, so that compared to having them today, I have a net gain of 9.5 months of use. The process seems to take a few weeks. So... can I order them a few weeks before 2019 and have them delivered after Jan 1? Is the important date when the stickers are issued, or when the application is submitted?

Yes, just trying to split hairs, and I'm sure I'll just wait until Jan 1 to submit the application....

I am waiting too, but I am going to wait until after Jan 15 just to be sure. I don't mind a few weeks wasted... better safe than sorry. :p

I really wouldn't submit them earlier than 2 weeks before Jan. 1 to be safe. And yes, I think any sane person would just wait the extra couple weeks until it actually is Jan. 1 to submit it just to be safe.

I really wouldn't submit them earlier than 2 weeks before Jan. 1 to be safe. And yes, I think any sane person would just wait the extra couple weeks until it actually is Jan. 1 to submit it just to be safe.

Also the other thing is that there will probably be a new color (because of the +1 yr exp date). The DMV workers could decided to still mail out the red stickers because there were tons of them left in the box... when they just got back from New Year's break.... Seriously I may even wait until Feb before applying LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: gambit48