Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Rear AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the looks of the site images with the trunk opened, it looks like they removed the side ac vents on the second row. You can see the FWD bottoms but that’s it. Anyone know anything about that or know if it’s just moved. One complaint about my 17 X was the second and third row could get stuffy from a lack of airflow.

9A3EB39B-23A8-49FE-959D-2B2D2D2F2102.jpg

That’s interesting you noticed the vents were removed on the B pillars for the second row passengers. I didn’t see that before. I was commenting in another thread that “Tri-Zone Climate Control” isn’t defined, though we all assume it’s Driver, Passenger, and Rear. What’s less clear is if the rear has the “hidden” fans like the front passengers or the old air vents we know from today’s design.

If the vents are really gone, you might have found a clue to that answer. It does seem to NOT have a vent in the photo...

View attachment 633512

That’s interesting you noticed the vents were removed on the B pillars for the second row passengers. I didn’t see that before. I was commenting in another thread that “Tri-Zone Climate Control” isn’t defined, though we all assume it’s Driver, Passenger, and Rear. What’s less clear is if the rear has the “hidden” fans like the front passengers or the old air vents we know from today’s design.

If the vents are really gone, you might have found a clue to that answer. It does seem to NOT have a vent in the photo...
Yeah, that’s how I am taking tri-zone as well. Not sure if it’s just my X but was a common complaint about stuffiness that I don’t get from anyone in either of my 3’s. I have one one order so time will tell and we shall see. Hopefully improved.

Since these "photos" are just computer renderings they might not have rendered the air vents for the rear. We'll have to wait and see what the actual production cars look like.

That has certainly happened before as well. But having pulled those apart personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated them. That whole routing/system is a really poor design that is prone to failure.

To start, the routing is inefficient. Full of bends and restrictions that limit airflow.
It's also made up of multiple pieces that are designed to interlock, but because it's soft foam; doesn't actually do so.
That same foam is also subject to failing in high heat and has seen instances of degradation over time.
Then also take into consideration that the entire system can be constricted if you place heavy objects into the deep well space of your trunk as the foam runs the length of the floor and is not supported by anything aside from the carpet on top of it.
Even if all of that was working properly, you then have a pump that's in the rear passenger area pumping air around the the back of the car to essentially a front/mid section of the car

Using plastic moldings would be extra weight and more expensive. So if they cut out the extra length of the run they might be able to keep costs the same and improve performance and hopefully keep things about the same cost-wise

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo and DIL
That has certainly happened before as well. But having pulled those apart personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated them. That whole routing/system is a really poor design that is prone to failure.

To start, the routing is inefficient. Full of bends and restrictions that limit airflow.
It's also made up of multiple pieces that are designed to interlock, but because it's soft foam; doesn't actually do so.
That same foam is also subject to failing in high heat and has seen instances of degradation over time.
Then also take into consideration that the entire system can be constricted if you place heavy objects into the deep well space of your trunk as the foam runs the length of the floor and is not supported by anything aside from the carpet on top of it.
Even if all of that was working properly, you then have a pump that's in the rear passenger area pumping air around the the back of the car to essentially a front/mid section of the car

Using plastic moldings would be extra weight and more expensive. So if they cut out the extra length of the run they might be able to keep costs the same and improve performance and hopefully keep things about the same cost-wise
I agree that it was inefficient but hope they improved airflow and also didn’t cut off 3rd row ac since that was similar to second row sides.

I agree that it was inefficient but hope they improved airflow and also didn’t cut off 3rd row ac since that was similar to second row sides.

A large part of that was because the little pump couldn't move enough air to create sufficient pressure. Just by sealing up the seams, the air flow in the 3rd row actually improves significantly. When you move/close off the middle row, it's strong enough to reach the front. So I suspect between the middle console and those rear fixed, it should be plenty.

Also PSA. If you don't have good airflow from your 2nd and 3rd row vents, check for dampness. The air leakage can cause condensation and you'll find symptoms such as your 3rd row seat bolts being rusted, a slightly damp carpet mat on the passenger side rear and bottom rear well.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
A large part of that was because the little pump couldn't move enough air to create sufficient pressure. Just by sealing up the seams, the air flow in the 3rd row actually improves significantly. When you move/close off the middle row, it's strong enough to reach the front. So I suspect between the middle console and those rear fixed, it should be plenty.

Also PSA. If you don't have good airflow from your 2nd and 3rd row vents, check for dampness. The air leakage can cause condensation and you'll find symptoms such as your 3rd row seat bolts being rusted, a slightly damp carpet mat on the passenger side rear and bottom rear well.
Interesting, I had noticed a dampness there occasionally. Always just figured my kid dropped water or something, oops.