Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Pirelli stock tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Model Y long range and already my back passenger tire seems to have a cut and flap in the rubber. Cant tell if it has been scraped or not no signs on the tires themselves or hubcaps, but the underside of the black trim behind the tire has some scratches on it. Anyway, I can not find a matching tire anywhere in fact Pirelli doesnt even have on their site, discount tire can't find them to order them or anyone else I have checked with. They are Pirelli Scorpions MS P255/45r/19.. Anyone have any info on hwre to get these as I only nee done since the other 3 are only a week old?

How about posting a photo? Your description of the damage doesn't sound terminal, but a photo would help us to discuss (argue, postulate, pontificate, assume, guess) what your options might be.;)

( I just did a search, TireRack has them)

Reactions: fholbert
There are multiple models of the Pirelli Scorpion tire, i.e. summer performance, all season, eco etc. According to the Tirerack web site none will fit the 2023 LRMY equipped with 19" or 20" wheels. Perhaps the tire is so new that it has not appeared in the tire aftermarket yet. If none of the tire retailers have the Pirelli Scorpion MS tire then Tesla should be able to provide you with a replacement tire.

Reactions: howardnj
Last edited:
Yes, positive. That was the point of my post, (I saw tirerack had the P zeros' but definitely a different tire and trad pattern.) I can't find them even on Pirelli's website, and no mention of them in trade news or anything, but mine is defintely a new model Y jsut picked up last week and is a long range Austin Build with Hardware 4 and AMD rizen chip. See attached photo

Attachments

• IMG_8219.jpeg
    IMG_8219.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_8217.jpeg
    IMG_8217.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_8222.jpeg
    IMG_8222.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 366
Well that's new.

I've never heard of Tesla using Pirelli Scorpions before, even then on a Y, and even more surprising is that it's a M&S-rated tire.

I used to think the same, but M&S is a very different thing than the more stringent three-peak Severe Service Snow certification. The old Continental ProContact RX used on the Model Y since 2020 is an M&S tire.

1687787503916.jpeg

Reactions: Zoomit
Yep, here you go, I think I have figured out what happened, it possible I ran over something that flew up from under the car, because the bottom black trim is all scratched even though the side trim is not.

Wow, that’s quite the tear. Can you peel back the flap and snap a photo? I’m curious if the cords are exposed.

I think that one will need to be replaced.

Reactions: Pianewman
I'll try tog et a better picture of it with the rubber flap peeled back, but while it was deep, I did not see the chords, it appeared to be a thin piece of black rubber under it. I will confirm tomorrow as its getting two new Bridgestone Turanza EV AL (v104) on the backs as replacements. I am curious as I heard a few things about them, and they have a 50K mile warranty, so I guess we will see.

Curious if anyone else has tried those and noticed any range difference since they are also relatively new and were designed specifically for an EV?

I'll try tog et a better picture of it with the rubber flap peeled back, but while it was deep, I did not see the chords, it appeared to be a thin piece of black rubber under it. I will confirm tomorrow as its getting two new Bridgestone Turanza EV AL (v104) on the backs as replacements. I am curious as I heard a few things about them, and they have a 50K mile warranty, so I guess we will see.

Curious if anyone else has tried those and noticed any range difference since they are also relatively new and were designed specifically for an EV?

IF you have no exposed cords, you might be able to buy some time with rubber cement to hold it down. BUT if it starts to bulge there, you're on borrowed time. If you tow or haul heavy loads, then all bets are off.

I have a 2023 Tesla Y long range. I took delivery approximately 68 days ago. 45 days ago, I brought the into into Tesla service with a nail in the tire. They decided that it couldn't be patched and had to be replaced. Tesla service gave me a loaner tire, which is appreciated. However, they have been unable to find the tire anywhere in North America with their distributors. The last conversation I had with the dealership was yesterday in which they said there were some in Canada and they're trying to get them shipped to the US. This is a major problem for anybody that has that new Perelli tire. As of today's date, I have no answer when it will be arriving. Wish I had better news for you but I don't.

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
I am in the same boat. MYLR delivered in May of this year and have the Pirelli Scorpion MS, which I don't see listed on any site, even Pirelli. I got a flat from running over a bone (if you can believe that) and while I have it plugged, the hole is bigger and needed two plugs, so I obviously want to replace it. Tesla Service Center said it will take 3 weeks for the time to come in. Now reading this thread, I am a little worried if they will come in.

Current availability is a problem, but I think it’s great to see another OEM tire being used. Tire prices are almost exclusively a function of volume and competition. More tires from different manufacturers will push prices down in the coming months.

Current availability is a problem, but I think it’s great to see another OEM tire being used. Tire prices are almost exclusively a function of volume and competition. More tires from different manufacturers will push prices down in the coming months.

Agreed, anything that lowers prices. Tire costs are rally high. I am just surprised that this tire is not even showing on the Pirelli web site. It could be a new model like mentioned in this thread, or could Tesla have some kind of exclusive deal for this particular one?

I just picked up my Model Y long range and already my back passenger tire seems to have a cut and flap in the rubber. Cant tell if it has been scraped or not no signs on the tires themselves or hubcaps, but the underside of the black trim behind the tire has some scratches on it. Anyway, I can not find a matching tire anywhere in fact Pirelli doesnt even have on their site, discount tire can't find them to order them or anyone else I have checked with. They are Pirelli Scorpions MS P255/45r/19.. Anyone have any info on hwre to get these as I only nee done since the other 3 are only a week old?

I am in the same boat. MYLR delivered in May of this year and have the Pirelli Scorpion MS, which I don't see listed on any site, even Pirelli. I got a flat from running over a bone (if you can believe that) and while I have it plugged, the hole is bigger and needed two plugs, so I obviously want to replace it. Tesla Service Center said it will take 3 weeks for the time to come in. Now reading this thread, I am a little worried if they will come in.

Agreed, anything that lowers prices. Tire costs are rally high. I am just surprised that this tire is not even showing on the Pirelli web site. It could be a new model like mentioned in this thread, or could Tesla have some kind of exclusive deal for this particular one?
I do get Pirelli Scorpion MS 255/45R19 104V ELECT PNCS in my '23 MYLR, built in June. At the time I searched the info online and couldn't find this tire from Pirelli and TireRack sites, I know this will become the inventory issue right away. All of us who got these tires are being put in the terrible spot.