Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I placed an order for a Model 3 about a month ago and I'm very excited for it to arrive soon. The estimated delivery window has changed many times but I did get my VIN today.
I just read an article online today where a Model 3 owner made reference to having solar panels on his M3. Does anyone know if these come standard or is it an aftermarket item that the owner had installed? I don't see any mention of solar panels being part of the M3 on Tesla's website. I am interested in knowing more about them and potentially having them on my M3. It would be nice to be able to charge the battery anytime I am parked outdoors on a sunny day.

Also, I called my auto insurer, Geico, who I've been with for many years and they quoted me $168 a month for insurance on my new M3. That is with a $1000 deductible on Comp and collision, and no rental car or towing coverage. I have a credit score over 800 and a spotless driving record. The $168 seems really high to me.
I'm just curious if anyone can recommend another company that may have better rates. I plan to call around to get some quotes but thought I'd ask Tesla owners their opinion first.

Thanks in advance. I'm happy to be here among many other Tesla and EV enthusiasts.
No such thing as solar panels for a Tesla. Solar panels won't provide much power anyway to be worth it (currently).

Don't know about Washington but you might have to shop around. Try all the big names. Insurance rate vary so much by location that it's hard to make recommendations. Also depends on the coverage you want.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
I have dropped Geico for Allstate, it was a lot cheaper and they don't make you go to one of their shops to do repairs.

There are no solar panels for Teslas and they wouldn't make any sense if there were. There isn't enough surface area on the car to get you a significant amount of energy, if you want solar power put the panels on your roof. Aptera will have solar panels on their car and they claim they will be able to get 40 miles per day from them. Aptera can do this because they will be extremely efficient, 10 miles/KWh vs about 4.4 miles/KWh in the Model 3. There is also a big caveat with Aptera, it's 40 miles/day in San Diego, in other parts of the country you would be lucky to get 20 miles/day assuming you aren't parking in a garage or under a tree.

Cool idea, but totally impractical. Solar panels on normal passenger vehicles is a fools errand, period and end of story. Elon discussed it in depth on a Joe Rogan podcast. The only purpose they could serve would be in the form of a pop up array for the purpose of camping off the grid. It's a surface area problem. Sunlight has a finite amount of energy per square meter - and even if solar panels were 100% effective at capturing it (which they aren't, they're more like 20% effective) it just doesn't provide sufficient power to make it worth the additional cost, weight, etc. Even if the entire car was wrapped in solar panels, and you lived in the sunniest place in the world, it's just a waste. Giant flat surfaces that can rotate to catch the sun are most effective and efficient at generating electricity from solar power - and a car is literally the opposite of that. It is always going to be better to generate energy using a more effective method and then store it in your car using the batteries.

I had Geico previously and they quoted me 3.5x what Progressive and USAA did so I dropped them immediately.

Solar panels are not part of the vehicle by default to my knowledge- first I’ve heard of that.
It needs to be restated that solar panes produce VERY LITTLE power individually. I have 66 panels, and IF the sun shines, they might charge my car in a day. One or two panels mounted on a car do virtually nothing other than cut into your car's aerodynamics.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
The best and most efficient means is like this. Our solar provides over 100% of our yearly electric needs, including all our Tesla charging.

wagner-06.jpg

It would be nice if EV manufacturers put solar panels on all EV's.
Might as well use that sun that is hitting my car while I'm parked at work everyday.
For me, no it doesn't made any sense for the price and appearance compared to the benefit. Think about it. For that small footprint, you might get 1 KWh of power in a day if you're lucky. That's equal to about 8 cents where I live. And that amount of energy will let me drive about 3 miles in my MX.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
The best and most efficient means is like this. Our solar provides over 100% of our yearly electric needs, including all our Tesla charging.

View attachment 688709
That's awesome. Are they Tesla panels? What part of the country do you live in? What sort of output do you get? When you say it powers your home year round, I assume you mean your HVAC as well?

Reactions: Rothgarr
Soo... lets go a little further with that, and give some background about my earlier fools errand comment.

All of your points are valid and I agree with them. Also consider that the panel rating is for full, face on, sunlight, which won't be the case most of the time except when the sun is directly overhead.

However, you forgot to account for the energy you save in less air conditioning by having an opaque roof, which results in less interior heating on those hot sunny days. ;) (But then again, you'd need more energy for interior heating on those cold sunny days.)

The Hyundai Ioniq 5 has an option for solar cells on its roof although they will not be available in the US when it goes on sales in a few months. They list them as getting 3 miles of range per day in areas with "a healthy amount" of sun.

Last edited:
Last edited:
All of your points are valid and I agree with them. Also consider that the panel rating is for full, face on, sunlight, which won't be the case most of the time except when the sun is directly overhead.

However, you forgot to account for the energy you save in less air conditioning by having an opaque roof, which results in less interior heating on those hot sunny days. ;) (But then again, you'd need more energy for interior heating on those cold sunny days.)
An ordinary roof instead of a glass roof is just as effective at keeping the car cooler. Unfortunately Elon deliberately removed the shade from the Model 3's design which forces us to use clip on shades to keep the sun out which are much less versatile than a shade that can be opened and closed.

An ordinary roof instead of a glass roof is just as effective at keeping the car cooler.

If you mean compared to a solar panel roof, it depends. The roof will absorb light and convert it to heat and some of that heat will be conducted and radiated to the interior.

With a solar panel, some of that light will be converted to energy and fed to the battery, rather than being converted to heat. Depending on the colour and reflectivity of the roof and any insulation on the inside, an "ordinary" roof may, or may not, be as effective as a solar panel roof.

A 100% efficient (though not possible) solar roof wouldn't add heat to the interior at all (although the charging circuitry and internal resistance of the battery might). The same would be true for a 100% reflective "ordinary" roof (again, not possible but could come close).

If you mean compared to a solar panel roof, it depends. The roof will absorb light and convert it to heat and some of that heat will be conducted and radiated to the interior.

With a solar panel, some of that light will be converted to energy and fed to the battery, rather than being converted to heat. Depending on the colour and reflectivity of the roof and any insulation on the inside, an "ordinary" roof may, or may not, be as effective as a solar panel roof.

A 100% efficient (though not possible) solar roof wouldn't add heat to the interior at all (although the charging circuitry and internal resistance of the battery might). The same would be true for a 100% reflective "ordinary" roof (again, not possible but could come close).
There are reflective shades for Tesla's, I have one but I haven't installed it yet.

@T-Mom: You seem to not believe Tesla CyberTruck with solar. It's in the news, and the patent was filed on 5/27/2021.

And the 15 miles per day is from Elon Musk's tweet:

My 2012 Nissan LEAF SL has a solar panel built in. Back then we all thought it actually was a big contributor to recharging the high voltage battery. As it turned out, it provides a minimal trickle charge to maintain the 12v battery, and doesn’t really do much for that either. It does provide a fun topic of conversation to those who may ask about it.

This. I've had Geico for years and their auto has always been way lower for me than any other company. However, with the Tesla Model 3 Progressive was far and away the best price for the same coverage. Quite literally 3x less than Geico, insane. I'm not military but I have also heard USAA is good as well.

Very interesting how they vary so much state to state or people to people. I always shop around and for my previous C300 Geico was about the same as progressive, liberty mutual, and a few others at around $100/month. For the Model 3 Geico was around $80/mo with more coverage. Almost 3 years in now and my rate is actually down to $60/mo - with it being $40/mo for 6 month (maybe 12?) during the pandemic which they automatically reduced.

I definitely suggest to play around with comprehensive deductible in the policy configurators. Often times $100 deductible is only a few dollars difference from $1000 and worth it to me.

@T-Mom: You seem to not believe Tesla CyberTruck with solar. It's in the news, and the patent was filed on 5/27/2021.
Enlighten me please. I'm not sure where you got that idea. Of course I have seen it in the news. It just makes no difference and no interest for me personally.
EDIT: If you are referring to the "dislike" tag, I simply mean I dislike the Tesla cyber truck with solar, not disagreeing with your post. Sorry about that. I will remove the confusion.

Last edited: