Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

While it's great that we can now drive to Montréal, I'd have to take a 200-mile detour (on a 275-mile route) to drive to Québec City; a Supercharger near St Johnsbury NH would address this gap. Driving to New Brunswick or beyond is simply not supported by Superchargers; we need Superchargers in Bangor and then eastward (on I-95, US-1 or ME-9) to the Atlantic Provinces. Our neighbors in NY need a couple of SC sites along I-87 north of Albany to bridge over to Montréal.

I agree Northern New England needs some filling in, but the direct route from Portland, ME to Quebec City isn't so bad if you have a CHAdeMO adapter. 153 miles from Augusta to the 108A CHAdeMO at Peres Nature in St-Georges (then another 65 miles or so to Quebec City). Peres Nature is a grocery store with a wide variety of healthy local and imported goods, but more importantly they also offer a restaurant and take-out.

FWIW, I've also noticed a lot of CCS stations are starting to pop up in southern NE. Barring the occasional CCS/L2 station at a BMW dealership, most are co-located with L2's and Chademo's at NRG EVGo stations, many of them at Simon Mall properties. Search plugshare and de-select all but "SAE Combo DCFC"

An interesting development that might be more useful if a CCS adapter ever appears.

My chademo adapter has saved my rear end quite a few times in the 2 months since I've had my 70D. They usually have prime mall parking right near a half way decent restaurant with better than half way decent bourbon. For me range anxiety has totally eroded away into the excitement of how many miles I can do without plugging in at home.

Tesla keeps playing with their 2016 map again.

I know we've debated this before, but the most recent view of the map shows that pesky North Shore/Merrimack Valley-ish SC location once again....

Clearly I didn't go to art school, but as you can see in the picture, Blue = the Dedham Store/Supercharger....and based on geography, it looks to be almost due north of Dedham, and slightly east....

sooooo, somewhere along 95/128, between Rt 3 and 93 is my current "guesstimate". Any others care to breakdown the Zapruder Film? LOL

(you may have to Download image and zoom in manually....)
NESC.PNG

I'll bite!

I'll bet it's the Framingham Service Plaza on the Masspike Westbound.

Counting pixels, it looks like Sagamore is ~16 pixels south, and ~16 pixels east of Dedham. That makes the hypotenuse about 22.6 pixels (a^2+b^2=c^2 ; )

It's 46 miles between those two superchargers, so roughly 2.03 miles per pixel.

The "new" drop-pin only looks to be 3 or 4 pixels north and east of Dedham. That's between 6 and 8 miles.

Draw a line, and it's a rest stop on the MassPike. Eastbound doesn't make sense (but I guess it could be).. I think WB makes more sense for outbound travelers.

edit: To be up in the 95/93/rt 3 area, the drop-pin would need to be 8 or 9 pixels north east of Dedham.

edit2: I guess Eastbound makes sense for a substitute for destination chargers in the greater Boston area. Top up before hitting Boston and have enough to make it back to Auburn on the outbound trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: SureValla
I'll bite!

I'll bet it's the Framingham Service Plaza on the Masspike Westbound.

Counting pixels, it looks like Sagamore is ~16 pixels south, and ~16 pixels east of Dedham. That makes the hypotenuse about 22.6 pixels (a^2+b^2=c^2 ; )

It's 46 miles between those two superchargers, so roughly 2.03 miles per pixel.

The "new" drop-pin only looks to be 3 or 4 pixels north and east of Dedham. That's between 6 and 8 miles.

Draw a line, and it's a rest stop on the MassPike. Eastbound doesn't make sense (but I guess it could be).. I think WB makes more sense for outbound travelers.

edit: To be up in the 95/93/rt 3 area, the drop-pin would need to be 8 or 9 pixels north east of Dedham.

edit2: I guess Eastbound makes sense for a substitute for destination chargers in the greater Boston area. Top up before hitting Boston and have enough to make it back to Auburn on the outbound trip.

Eh. The least covered part here is going north or south through 93. Strategically that would be the best place for it. Of course, The past locations seem to have a lack of strategy. Basically anyone leaving the Greater Boston area with full charge has little use of the superchargers around Boston. Yet if you get too far north in NH or ME or to the cape, you can't make it round trip back to a supercharger.

Eh. The least covered part here is going north or south through 93. Strategically that would be the best place for it. Of course, The past locations seem to have a lack of strategy. Basically anyone leaving the Greater Boston area with full charge has little use of the superchargers around Boston. Yet if you get too far north in NH or ME or to the cape, you can't make it round trip back to a supercharger.

I don't disagree with anything you said. But if the proposed drop-pin SC is up near 95/93, which would make sense, the drop-pin would be almost equidistant between Dedham and the SC to the north. I wasn't basing my analysis on where the next SC makes sense, I was basing it purely on where the drop-pin is in the image.

Basically anyone leaving the Greater Boston area with full charge has little use of the superchargers around Boston.

I had this exact problem last month. I do not live in Boston. I drove up for a quick overnight event. I charged up as much as I could at Auburn. I crossed my fingers that I wouldn't have too much local driving (i.e. demo drives) to make it really close to making it back to Auburn with any charge left. Just luckily, I found a hotel that had a J1772 charger and I was able to use it overnight. If it weren't for that, I might not have been able to make it back to Auburn without tracking down to Dedham (way out of the way) or some other L2 charger and a few hours of time. A SC on the Westbound side would have been perfect for me in case I couldn't find any destination charging.

I had this exact problem last month. I do not live in Boston. I drove up for a quick overnight event. I charged up as much as I could at Auburn. I crossed my fingers that I wouldn't have too much local driving (i.e. demo drives) to make it really close to making it back to Auburn with any charge left. Just luckily, I found a hotel that had a J1772 charger and I was able to use it overnight. If it weren't for that, I might not have been able to make it back to Auburn without tracking down to Dedham (way out of the way) or some other L2 charger and a few hours of time. A SC on the Westbound side would have been perfect for me in case I couldn't find any destination charging.

sounds like there needs to one somewhere in Boston, maybe landmark center or cambridge galleria/science museum?

yes. The junction of Routes 95 and Route 3.....Chelmsford/Lowell area.

95 and 3 is Burlington area.

Chelmsford/Lowell is 495 and 3.

The state just redid the rest stops on 495 N and S, about 1.5 miles South of Rt 3/Lowell Connector, so that may make sense....but again, the pin is a "tick" or 2 East of Dedham on a straight line, so potentially the Burlington area. There's a ton of IT companies and stores/shopping plazas that seem to fit Tesla's SC strategy in that area, so that may be where it's going to be.

I'm still hoping that it ends up being a service center with SC's, just in time for me to have my Model 3 delivered.......

Their Supercharger strategy is to enable long distance travel. Not be convenient charging locations for local residents.

That's what Elon insists, but that for some reason is not the strategy that Tesla executes. Like I said above, there are big holes in the long distance travel strategy, yet growing coverage in high population centers. Maybe because the supercharger budget is also part of the marketing budget.

That's what Elon insists, but that for some reason is not the strategy that Tesla executes. Like I said above, there are big holes in the long distance travel strategy, yet growing coverage in high population centers. Maybe because the supercharger budget is also part of the marketing budget.

Correct. Look at California. I think the demographics/TSLA ownership/"throughput" in the area will lead to more SC's, just because of shear volume, not just the distance-travelling strategy initially laid out.

Correct. Look at California. I think the demographics/TSLA ownership/"throughput" in the area will lead to more SC's, just because of shear volume, not just the distance-travelling strategy initially laid out.

I really do not think you can base their nationwide SC rollout strategy based on California. We've seen since the beginning that that region is highly favored for locals. That's not true for the rest of the country.