Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MSLR - getting poor Wh/Mile efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SL77

MSLR MSM 2023
Mar 21, 2022
Louisiana
I am driving super conservative, not speeding, and so far I am averaging 341 Wh/Mile. Any idea if this is normal? I live in Louisiana so it is very flat but also very hot right now. It is just me in the car and a modern spare in the back. I had a similar setup in when I drove a MYP and was around 290-305 Wh/Mile.

Could it be the heat? Extra weight of the spare tire? Or maybe the system needs time to calibrate since it has less than 500 miles?

Thanks!

I believe the rated efficiency of the MSLR is like 281 wh/m, so that seems reasonable if the a/C is really cranking.

Another thing that can make the numbers a bit confusing is that normally, driving faster will give you a higher wh/m, but with climate control on, you can also drive very slow and get an extremely high wh/m.

For instance, I recall a post where the owner was confused by his energy graph showing 900wh/m, but it turns out he was creeping slowly through a parking lot for half an hour with the heat blasting in the middle of winter.

So perhaps driving a mile down the road on your lunch break but then sitting in the car while eating with the A/C cranking could be effecting your average consumption.

Reactions: SL77
I believe the rated efficiency of the MSLR is like 281 wh/m, so that seems reasonable if the a/C is really cranking.

Another thing that can make the numbers a bit confusing is that normally, driving faster will give you a higher wh/m, but with climate control on, you can also drive very slow and get an extremely high wh/m.

For instance, I recall a post where the owner was confused by his energy graph showing 900wh/m, but it turns out he was creeping slowly through a parking lot for half an hour with the heat blasting in the middle of winter.

So perhaps driving a mile down the road on your lunch break but then sitting in the car while eating with the A/C cranking could be effecting your average consumption.

The EPA rated consumption for a 2022 MSLR is 241 Wh/mi.

You should be able to achieve this at speeds around 60mph, and moderate A/C.

Reactions: maximizese and SL77
Thanks for the responses. Since I posted this, I made some adjustments, and my efficiency went way up. This morning, I achieved 222 Wh/Mile. Outdoor temp this morning was 83, I set the AC to Auto at 72. I also preconditioned the battery, and I drove carefully on surface streets.

So even though I might have thought I was driving conservatively before, there were probably times when I had rapid acceleration and deceleration in stop-and-go traffic. Plus with the temps nearing 102 outside and the AC set to 65 (on blast), the car was just not very efficient in these conditions. I didn't realize how little adjustments can make a big difference.

Thanks for the responses. Since I posted this, I made some adjustments, and my efficiency went way up. This morning, I achieved 222 Wh/Mile. Outdoor temp this morning was 83, I set the AC to Auto at 72. I also preconditioned the battery, and I drove carefully on surface streets.

So even though I might have thought I was driving conservatively before, there were probably times when I had rapid acceleration and deceleration in stop-and-go traffic. Plus with the temps nearing 102 outside and the AC set to 65 (on blast), the car was just not very efficient in these conditions. I didn't realize how little adjustments can make a big difference.
On a trip (anything over 30 mins) I'll initially set my AC on a hot day at 72 and then bump it to 73 and 74 as the cabin cools. The slightly warmer temps, which aren't really warm if you're using cooled seats and your body adapts, helps to add a few miles of range (3-6) or equivalent efficiency over 50-70 miles.

19's, and it was only an 8-mile ride, so take it with a grain of salt. It was just ideal conditions because there was no traffic and the temps were mild. TezLab gave me 102% efficiency so I take that as a good thing.

I am driving super conservative, not speeding, and so far I am averaging 341 Wh/Mile. Any idea if this is normal? I live in Louisiana so it is very flat but also very hot right now. It is just me in the car and a modern spare in the back. I had a similar setup in when I drove a MYP and was around 290-305 Wh/Mile.

Could it be the heat? Extra weight of the spare tire? Or maybe the system needs time to calibrate since it has less than 500 miles?

Thanks!
I switched to 19" gemini with OEM tires on MYP and I'm currently averaging 264wh/mi

The EPA rated consumption for a 2022 MSLR is 241 Wh/mi.

You should be able to achieve this at speeds around 60mph, and moderate A/C.
The efficiency is very low at the start of a drive under most conditions and then increases as the drive goes on. Usually you need to drive at least 30 miles before energy consumption drops to the rated value. So including the high values at the start you would have to drive 100 miles continuously to achieve a good average efficiency. If weather is colder then reasons include the fact that tires have high rolling resistance until they get up to about 60C, the drag of grease and lubricants are high until they warm up. In very hot weather like you are talking about the AC will be cranking at max for some time to cool the vehicle down and that will affect your initial energy consumption.

Reactions: KArnold