Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S with alignment problem - Anyone have Tesla requests to send to a collision center to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Tesla, and the lift gate is misaligned due to some defect in stamping the rear panel or something like that. Tesla is talking about repairing through a collision center and curious if anyone has dealt with an issue like this before?

I swear someone did a writeup on a DIY how to do a tailgate adjustment on here for refresh cars.
Thanks @krsgio I was able to find the DIY - definitely beyond me... and I also found another post that seems exactly the same error as on my Tesla tailgate and rear panel alignment. I hope he provides feedback on the results of his negotiations with Tesla. However, from my experience over the past 5 years, there is a lot of variability in what Tesla does to help their customers. So far they have been available, it is just I am being passed around from advisors as people do have days off ;-) Results in some inconsistencies. Now the manager is helping me, and he is very responsive.

I was supposed to take delivery of a new MSP today and I rejected it due to this gap. Is this the gap you are talking about? They are now trying to adjust the trunk alignment and will try delivery again. But to be honest most cars in the lot had this issue but not to this extent. Seems to be only bad on the driver side and def looking worse on white. It’s not only a bigger gap but the trunk is also much higher than the quarter panel in that area, not sure if this can be adjusted.

IMG_0358.jpeg

I can not tell if it is exactly the same, however if the gap its not flush with the left quarter panel it is the same! Hard to see all perspectives in the photo. Evidently, my Tesla SC was unable to fix this, and hence sent to a body shop. Keep us posted!

Yes beside the gap there is a step down from the trunk to the quarter panel which means the quarter panel is welded on too low. I think there will be limited room to fix it as the quarter panel can not be moved only the trunk lid might be able to adjusted slightly which will probably make other gaps/steps worse. Will update once they try delivery again later in the week.

Interesting as this is the issue I have, however received an email today from Tesla:
I just received the following email from Tesla today: "Tesla certified collision shop informed me that there is no need to do structural work on the quarter panels due to being in spec. They will need to work on the liftgate (trunk) area. They will need to remove the liftgate glass and perform adjustments that way. Work will take 2 days. I wanted to connect with you first to see if you would like us to proceed."

Reactions: stefanre
The collision center reported back. They shared that the left quarter panel is within specs, and there is nothing to be don with that piece. They would have to do the adjustment to the tailgate, and completely remove it, remove the glass to reach all of the adjustments. About 1/2 day work. However, after discussing with the repair center they couldn't assure me that it would work and even warned it might cause additional damage. I'm concerned about the potential risks involved. Frustrating.

I accepted the delivery of a new car, they found a new vin in 2 days and the step/gap is marginally better but far from perfect. I’ve reported it for service with a few other issues that I found once the car was paid & unlocked but I’m not sure if I’ll go through with them fixing it given that it means removing the roof liner and rear glass and I’m sure they will damage more areas. I guess I just have to live with it. It’s ridiculous for that price but given how poor the delivery experience was I don’t think there’s anything to expect from Tesla. I think this will be my last Tesla.

I kinda wonder of the cars that are in inventory, have been previously rejected for these issues? Maybe a new build has a higher chance of being constructed better? I did not that the two showroom MS's I saw seemed without this issue. However, I was just focused on the step up to the quarter panel, not the other tailgate misalignment issues.

That might be true but there were several cars in the lot including the test drive model s and all of them had terrible uneven gaps around the trunk, especially on the driver side it’s just that certain colors show it less. The car I’ve accepted didn’t have much of a step just an uneven gap, you can clearly see that the trunk lid needs to be shifted left and up on the driver side on mine.

I’ve recorded it in the app among other small issues and will see if they are willing to adjust it. Given that they gave me 10.5k rebate on a readily available new car I was not able to get to see one straight out of the factory.

That might be true but there were several cars in the lot including the test drive model s and all of them had terrible uneven gaps around the trunk, especially on the driver side it’s just that certain colors show it less. The car I’ve accepted didn’t have much of a step just an uneven gap, you can clearly see that the trunk lid needs to be shifted left and up on the driver side on mine.

I’ve recorded it in the app among other small issues and will see if they are willing to adjust it. Given that they gave me 10.5k rebate on a readily available new car I was not able to get to see one straight out of the factory.
10.5K reduction is great, did you get the plaid?

My 2023 LR has the same issue and I took it to the service as well. They could not fix it but the foreman took time to show me all the still to be delivered models in the lot. All had the exact same issue. There is no fix short of cutting out the panel and putting a new one in. He did report the issue to the factory. I now have the car for a few weeks and have "unseen" it... 🙄