Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our 3rd Model S last month and have already had multiple issues. We previously had a 2013 and 2016 MS which never had any significant issues. Since taking delivery, a piece of trim on the rear vehicle has come loose and yesterday the interior of one of the rear doors fell off. It also has issues with the air conditioning occasionally not working properly. Is this typical of newer generation Teslas?
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 2.11.18 PM.png

It's only been a month or two since I got a new Model S (from a 2017 100D), but so far, other than needing the front camera's calibrated/aligned, everything has been great.

I feel like Teslas sometimes have teething problems (especially the low volume ones), but once you get through them, it's great from then on. Good luck!

@danthomas07 - I also had a 2013 S, a 2016 S and now a 2022 S. Looks like we go through similar progressions! So far no problems on my 2022 S, other than the steering wheel peal problem that most get after 5-15K miles. Tesla has a new design going into production and should be out at in November. No problems for me with trim. HVAC has worked without any issues - better than prior models for me.

This is sad to see. I would have thought Tesla fixed this irritating issue on the refresh (2021+). My 2017 75D has "regularly scheduled" door panel problems. They eventually loosen up over time but never completely fall of since there are two bolts and about 8 plastic clips and 4 metal clips holding it on (Ask me how I know!). The two bolts never give up but the plastic clips have been replaced several times and the metal clips loosen there tension. In fact one of my doors currently has a panel loose. The only solution is to just bang it back in but that gets old. I have had had about a dozen cars over 40 years but this is the first car ever to have loose door panels. They are just cheaply made/designed...and it's just not my car as I have had 6-7 Model S loaners and they all had loose door panels.:(

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 87
We took delivery of our 3rd Model S last month and have already had multiple issues. We previously had a 2013 and 2016 MS which never had any significant issues. Since taking delivery, a piece of trim on the rear vehicle has come loose and yesterday the interior of one of the rear doors fell off. It also has issues with the air conditioning occasionally not working properly. Is this typical of newer generation Teslas?
View attachment 977004
Tesla history of off-the-line build quality and reliability (meaning components retaining function for a reasonable/sustained period of usage) has been in the range of below average to poor for many years. The Consumer Reports rankings for Tesla had been in the bottom half in the years when I last looked (2017-2020 or so). I just checked again, apparently Tesla ranked 19 out of 24 for 2022 (which was an "improvement" from being nearly last the year prior).

@danthomas07 - I also had a 2013 S, a 2016 S and now a 2022 S. Looks like we go through similar progressions! So far no problems on my 2022 S, other than the steering wheel peal problem that most get after 5-15K miles. Tesla has a new design going into production and should be out at in November. No problems for me with trim. HVAC has worked without any issues - better than prior models for me.
Where did u get the info about a “new design”?? And what do u mean exactly?

I initially asked for adjustments to the rear bumper because there was a 1 cm gap on the left side near the trunk when I first received the vehicle. Although they rectified this issue at the time, a year later the clips on the rear bumper are coming loose. In addition to that, there are multiple other issues(rear drive unit failed twice within a year), to the point where it seems like the build quality could have been better executed by chimps.

Currently, I'm in a buyback case through an attorney working on contingency.

Zero issues with mine, picked it up a few weeks ago, very recent build. Even panel gaps, they are perfectly aligned, in fact exceeded my expectations (all panels are equally spaced). As far as interior rattles, no issues at all..... even compared to my BMW or Mbenz. I can even hear the sound of water bottle splashing that is stored deep in the central console under the armrest. Previous owners have warned me about the build quality being a matter of luck, and what I got had exceeded my expectations.

I specially liked the wind noise insulation... It was fun to take it on the highway (admittedly there wasn't high speed wind, but still, driving 85 MPH, it acted really well noise wise).

I recently did a full PPF... there was not even any chance for them to tuck the PPF in between the front bumper gaps and fenders, or the rear bumper and quarter panel, which is by itself a good sign. I would say that the rear trunk could receive some design enhancement to show a smaller gap with the quarter panel... seems common and unavoidable due to the trunk curvature design