Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HPWC is out (soon?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I mis/over-stated.

My guess:
  • If you have the "C" labelling, it's the new HPWC.
  • If you have the "B" labelling and a serial # higher than ___ (2500?), it's the new HPWC. It was just packaged and sent before they had the new stickers and printed boxes.

I have the B version and a low serial number so finally got around to sending off a mail to the Service Center. Now to wait and see what happens, although Tampa service is very good at quick follow-ups; still strikes me as odd that Tesla hasn't been on top of this issue seeing as it was 11 months ago that I actually paid for darn thing.:frown:

- - - Updated - - -

Well I said that Tampa were good. 4 minutes after sending a mail (Sunday today!) the Service Manager replied that he has some set aside for me but they haven't gotten time to come visit this area yet and they'll call to make an appointment next week. :smile:

I called my local SC today, they have the new fuses in stock, and I have a tech coming out to replace the fuses next Tuesday. So for now it would seem that you have to ask for the HPWC fix if you wanted it done sooner than later.

I called my local SC today, they have the new fuses in stock, and I have a tech coming out to replace the fuses next Tuesday. So for now it would seem that you have to ask for the HPWC fix if you wanted it done sooner than later.

Ranger replaced my old HPWC fuses with the new ones. Took him about 20 minutes and I've charged twice (have to keep resetting the 60A limit darn until 5.x firmware) with no problems.

Of course I charged for three months no problems at 56 mph (79A/234V). I chickened out and have not charged at 80A since then because I would be up that famous creek without a 15kW paddle if I blew my old fuses!!!!

Nice to be back to 80A 20kW charging.

I got my fuses this week. I was told that the firmware currently will still limit to 60A. They sent a minor update that prevents the car from charging at 80A evidently?. I've tried to charge at 80 with the new fuse, it won't do it. I thought it had charged at 80A at the service center last week though.

so now I guess we wait for the firmware to be re updated to allow 80A again.

I got my fuses this week. I was told that the firmware currently will still limit to 60A. They sent a minor update that prevents the car from charging at 80A evidently?. I've tried to charge at 80 with the new fuse, it won't do it. I thought it had charged at 80A at the service center last week though.

so now I guess we wait for the firmware to be re updated to allow 80A again.

This software limit is so very strange. I just tested the new install of a 70A, J1772 in Pagosa Springs, CO yesterday, see 4 Corners EV Charging. The EVSE is from ClipperCreek. The car said the limit was 69A, not 70...I remembered this HPWC 60A limit, so I tried and one screen push moved the limit from 69 to 70A, and it would not go higher. My MS has version 4.5. Why 69A? Its not 70A that is the J1772 pilot level, nor is it the old HPWC fuse limit of 60A...

Even when charging with a NEMA 14-50 at a nominal 40 amps, the display often will say 39 amps. I think the programmer just used the wrong rounding math function in his code, but who knows.
Or it's actually below 40A and the UI is being conservative. I prefer "floor" to "round" for such things, personally. I'd rather have charge happen faster than I planned rather than take longer because someone thought rounding up was more compelling.

This software limit is so very strange. I just tested the new install of a 70A, J1772 in Pagosa Springs, CO yesterday, see 4 Corners EV Charging. The EVSE is from ClipperCreek. The car said the limit was 69A, not 70...I remembered this HPWC 60A limit, so I tried and one screen push moved the limit from 69 to 70A, and it would not go higher. My MS has version 4.5. Why 69A? Its not 70A that is the J1772 pilot level, nor is it the old HPWC fuse limit of 60A...

My car does the same, always. Set it it to 60A and it shows pulling 59A, set to 80A and it pulls 79A. The Rangers were here today and exchanged my fuses so I asked the question and they said it's like that on all cars. But hey, my HPWC finally works as intended! :-D.....Now I just need the FW update so I don't have to keep resetting the charge limit in the car.