Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highland UK - stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arent indicator buttons on the steering wheels of Ferrari’s? Hasn’t stopped them shifting a lot of cars and having the highest operating margins in the industry…indicator buttons on a steering wheel are a non issue.
Yeah, there were at least 4 manufacturers who have used them at various levels, Tesla weren't the first and won't be the last. They were the first to do it at scale and I'm sure, particularly based on comments from Sandy Munro, that more manufacturers will start to follow suit.

I know of a few who were planning to do so, but once they got their Highlands decided they preferred the buttons.

The S3XY guys were looking at putting out an after-market stalk option, but again of the couple of dozen highland owners I talk to only a few were concerned enough about the stalks to be thinking of after market alternatives and all of those decided there was no need once they'd had a chance to drive the car for a week or two.
That would be a clear car modification and insurers wouldn’t touch it. Can see a glut of these stalkless cars appearing on the used market for about £5k lol.

I’ve had my highland for over 3 weeks now and to be honest I actually prefer the buttons. They are literally by your thumb so easier to use.

I don’t actually think stalks are any better now I’m used to buttons. Quite a lot of lazy drivers out there who will only start indicating when the steering wheel is turning (ie when they turn off a roundabout or at a junction), so indicating intended direction of travel as they start turning (so no advance warning)

On other point and not a dig at Tesla owners. Tesla still has the best drivetrain, effeicieny, range and power for price point. Looking forward to seeing the model 2. However, the other manufacturers are belatedly catching up. Particularly the big European brands like Volvo partnering with Chinese manufacturers like geely.
I’m looking for a suv/crossover, doesn’t need to be big. Googled best suv 2024 electric today.
Whatcar had the MY in last place, 10th. Same with auto express, it was last. Carwow had MY 7th out of 10.
The other manufacturers are producing some great cars, many with conventional offerings that will appeal to joe public, i.e. not the early adopters and not those interested in the latest tech. Tesla used to be able to do what they want. Not any more.

Arent indicator buttons on the steering wheels of Ferrari’s? Hasn’t stopped them shifting a lot of cars and having the highest operating margins in the industry…indicator buttons on a steering wheel are a non issue.
Niche brand Ferrari shift a lot of cars? That’s news to me
That's been the overwhelming view of almost every Highland owner I've heard from
They would say that, wouldn’t they? 😂

Reactions: trueblue_ips
Umm why?

If I had an issue with them I'd be certainly looking for an alternative. Tesla owners, in my observation, have been very willing to speak up if they don't like something.

There are plenty of valid issues we complain about, such as auto-wipers, I know the indicator buttons wouldn't be any different, particularly for those I know who had concerns before they purchased and had the plan to purchase after market add ons. They didn't just decide they didn't need the after market and preferred the buttons simply because they became owners and to suggest so is quite silly.

The mere fact that you only see non-owners going on and on about it should tell you something.

Niche brand Ferrari shift a lot of cars? That’s news to me

13,500 a year seems a lot to me. My point being though that they aren’t a small (real) niche manufacturer like Pagani or keonigsegg. Ferrari are mainstream luxury, pretty much what everyone thinks of when you say supercar. Share price also up almost 50% in a year…buttons on steering wheels are doing them just fine.

Reactions: Jules22 and Js1977
Umm why?

If I had an issue with them I'd be certainly looking for an alternative. Tesla owners, in my observation, have been very willing to speak up if they don't like something.

There are plenty of valid issues we complain about, such as auto-wipers, I know the indicator buttons wouldn't be any different, particularly for those I know who had concerns before they purchased and had the plan to purchase after market add ons. They didn't just decide they didn't need the after market and preferred the buttons simply because they became owners and to suggest so is quite silly.

The mere fact that you only see non-owners going on and on about it should tell you something.
Owners though will have made the decision they are happy with this or prepared to try it. Some non-owners might buy at some point but also some who planned to buy now might not. I'm sure this will be hurting sales, it's just how much is unknown.

Well, @Jules22, there’s no doubt you’ve established yourself as the apologist extraordinaire for indicator buttons. But I’m still unconvinced and cannot see it as a positive move.
If thats how you want to paint it.

I'd say that I tried it with an open mind like dozens of others I personally know of (some of whom came in with a very negative view), along with the tens of thousands of other new owners who you don't see complaining, and realised that the buttons are better.

You are entitled to make your own assumptions about me and the rest of the owners but the facts speak for themselves.

I am more than happy to criticise where it's warranted, this just isn't one of those cases as experts like Munro and associates have highlighted.

If thats how you want to paint it.

I'd say that I tried it with an open mind like dozens of others I personally know of (some of whom came in with a very negative view), along with the tens of thousands of other new owners who you don't see complaining, and realised that the buttons are better.
I think give the guy the benefit of the doubt. It’s not impossible at all that some will be fine with this or even prefer it. Doesn’t have to be that they are just protecting their choice of buying one.

Won’t be for everyone but could be fine for some for sure.

I was on a bend the other week (roundabout I think but can't be sure now) with the steering wheel turned pretty much exactly 180º, and something annoyingly loud came on the radio. I turned the volume down. After doing so, I realised that I had, without really having to thing about it, turned the scroll wheel on the 'wrong' side of the steering wheel, and turned it in the 'wrong' direction. That said, it may have been more luck than judgment - not exactly something I do often.

But it made me think that maybe I could get used to stalkless indicators. I don't like the idea, but I'm willing to reserve judgment until I've driven it. If stalks were an extra cost option, I'd definitely spec them, but stalkless may be something I can learn to live with. I'm reserving judgment for now (which isn't something I was really expecting to say).

Reactions: Jules22 and Doudeau
I was on a bend the other week (roundabout I think but can't be sure now) with the steering wheel turned pretty much exactly 180º, and something annoyingly loud came on the radio. I turned the volume down. After doing so, I realised that I had, without really having to thing about it, turned the scroll wheel on the 'wrong' side of the steering wheel, and turned it in the 'wrong' direction. That said, it may have been more luck than judgment - not exactly something I do often.

But it made me think that maybe I could get used to stalkless indicators. I don't like the idea, but I'm willing to reserve judgment until I've driven it. If stalks were an extra cost option, I'd definitely spec them, but stalkless may be something I can learn to live with. I'm reserving judgment for now (which isn't something I was really expecting to say).
100% in agreement with this. I’ve done the same thing a number of times - I often switch to radio from Bluetooth when reversing off my drive then find I need to turn the volume down. Each time I wonder why I’ve been too impatient to wait a few secs and turn on the radio once going forward.

Makes me believe the experiences of the happy highland owners who’ve posted on here. I still believe I’d prefer stalks though.

Reactions: Jules22
Sums it up very well, after a week or two (*may not be the same for all drivers) you don't even think about it any more.

I think I've said this before, not sure here, but prior to taking delivery if there'd been an option for ~$100 to have stalks I'd probably have taken it. Within a day or two, I'd only have taken it if there was no cost difference, but after a week or two there's no way I'd select stalks even if it was a free option.

You just end up with the indicator buttons always under one of your thumbs without thinking about it, and you can hit them every time no matter where the wheel is positioned. Reaching for the stalk in my ICE vehicle just feels extremely clunky and silly now (It'll be replaced by a Model Y once Juniper is out)

The gear select is always selected for you (recognises that you have a parking space line behind you even when there is no car behind and is logical enough to know you want to go forward) 3 point turns are zero issue- though I will concede here that's no better than the stalk in an older Model 3, it is a substantial improvement over any shifter in an ICE vehicle though.

Reactions: boombap