Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Dual Charging Port!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MP3Mike do you have a source for your disagree? (Or e.g. @Cosmacelf for that matter?) I am interested in seeing if there is more info on the Chinese port(s).

Just look at the pictures and you can see that they aren't the same. On is a GB/T DC port the other is a GB/T AC port.

Tesla EU-China ports.png

From left to right:
  • Tesla EU port
  • GB/T DC port
  • GB/T AC port
Notice that the GB/T AC port is the wrong gender? (It is very similar put backwards from the EU port.)

Just look at the pictures and you can see that they aren't the same. On is a GB/T DC port the other is a GB/T AC port.

View attachment 254458

From left to right:
  • Tesla EU port
  • GB/T DC port
  • GB/T AC port
Notice that the GB/T AC port is the wrong gender? (It is very similar put backwards from the EU port.)

Fair enough. Good point. Was a bit hasty in looking at the pic, had the other end of Type 2 in mind - which that seems to match exactly. :)

So you guys think these cars have two charge port doors? Anyone got a picture if the current Chinese charge connector is the same as the EU one?

Last edited:
So you guys think these cars have two charge port doors? Anyone got a picture if the current Chinese charge connector is the same as the EU one.

Nope, the people in China have been saying that there is no longer a EU port on the new cars and that Tesla is going to be converting all of the Superchargers to GB/T over the next few months while supplying owners of the "old" cars an adapter cable to go from the GB/T to the EU port on their car.

Nope, the people in China have been saying that there is no longer a EU port on the new cars and that Tesla is going to be converting all of the Superchargers to GB/T over the next few months while supplying owners of the "old" cars an adapter cable to go from the GB/T to the EU port on their car.

OK, so that part of @Cosmacelf's message was wrong? I found two charge port doors unlikely...

They aren’t abandoning the tail light type 2 plug for the China market, it is still there.

The reason why I care about this detail is that IMO the chances of Tesla doing this in other markets go up if they are moving away from the tail-light entirely. Had they retained both, it would have seemed perhaps more likely this was a China-only thing... Don't know why I get such an intuition on this, but I do. :)

@AnxietyRanger I don't have a picture, but I did see some Model S's and the Shanghai SuC whilst in China earlier this year. They are definitely EU spec.

I trust you. :)

Anyway, just a mental confusion on my part seeing a Type 2 (well, one looking like it) connector on the car there... obvious now it is the wrong gender. :D (The locking mechanism another obvious difference, of course.)

So sayeth Karl Marx.

If you think this is Marixsm, you're _totally_ missing the point. This is about _profit_.

Tesla is building out the infrastructure as a way to encourage EV adoption. That's fantastic. Loss leaders are sometimes required.

But once they've pushed EV adoption past the tipping point, and once there is a robust commercial charging infrastructure, they will stop. If you don't think that Tesla is run by business people, then you're dreaming. It is absolutely a business. They do think longer term than most businesses, but once the case for owning the charging infrastructure is gone, they will divest it.

And that's not a criticism. I see that as a natural and positive step. And when it happens I will celebrate that the end of the ICE is truly nigh.

Tesla is trying to make money from selling cars, batteries and solar power.

Because Tesla would always derive most of its profits from sales of the car it has a very strong interest in maximizing EV sales over maximizing profits from charging. Given the relatively low long-term cost per car required to build an effective charging network, any attempt by Tesla to exploit its proprietary network for direct profit would likely just lose sales to competition. Instead, it has much more interest in trying to build and operate an effective network at low cost.

Utilities make money by their allowed return on investment in infrastructure and, where allowed, sales of electricity.

Utilities could be willing to have public charging at cost in order to encourage EV sales and profit from home charging, but the margins are not going to be significant. For an EV driven 15,000 miles per year using 0.4kWh/mi wall-to-wheel, each 1c/kWh of margin on electricity would earn the utility $60 per year in profit. Utilities are going to be far more interested in pushing up the margins on charging in comparison to sales volume.

I also don't see how, outside of undesirable exploitation of monopoly, utilities would have an advantage over other companies. If anything, it's the equipment manufacturers who would have the advantage in the market.

Why would Tesla retool a production line to include a small door for a charge port and then make major changes just days or weeks later?

To me an imminent, major change seems unlikely. I could be wrong but this change is indicative of Tesla’s continued pattern of small changes.

Help me out here cause I’m lost on this one especially because I have zero experience or knowledge in manufacturing or design

Why would Tesla retool a production line to include a small door for a charge port and then make major changes just days or weeks later?

To me an imminent, major change seems unlikely. I could be wrong but this change is indicative of Tesla’s continued pattern of small changes.

Help me out here cause I’m lost on this one especially because I have zero experience or knowledge in manufacturing or design

While I too find it unlikely, Tesla works in mysterious ways. :) They've gone back and forth on stuff many times...

If you think this is Marixsm, you're _totally_ missing the point. This is about _profit_.

Tesla is trying to make money from selling cars, batteries and solar power.

Because Tesla would always derive most of its profits from sales of the car it has a very strong interest in maximizing EV sales over maximizing profits from charging. Given the relatively low long-term cost per car required to build an effective charging network, any attempt by Tesla to exploit its proprietary network for direct profit would likely just lose sales to competition. Instead, it has much more interest in trying to build and operate an effective network at low cost.

Utilities make money by their allowed return on investment in infrastructure and, where allowed, sales of electricity.

Utilities could be willing to have public charging at cost in order to encourage EV sales and profit from home charging, but the margins are not going to be significant. For an EV driven 15,000 miles per year using 0.4kWh/mi wall-to-wheel, each 1c/kWh of margin on electricity would earn the utility $60 per year in profit. Utilities are going to be far more interested in pushing up the margins on charging in comparison to sales volume.

I also don't see how, outside of undesirable exploitation of monopoly, utilities would have an advantage over other companies. If anything, it's the equipment manufacturers who would have the advantage in the market.

Tesla is trying to sell cars, yes. And so they built a charging network to make the cars usable for more than local commuting. It is the very definition of a loss leader.

I get that you're hoping that power will be free or very cheapo for the long term. But that's just not going to be the case. Tesla will keep doing it until we've hitting the tipping point and they don't have to anymore. They still need to do it for the M3 because there's not enough good charging out there. Once the installation of charging capacity ceases to be an issue, and once third party providers overtake Tesla (starting to happen in some markets), Tesla will not need to absorb those costs.

The winners in a commodity market are always the lowest cost providers. The utility will be the lowest cost provider. They get the best prices on the switchgear and installations. And they don't need to worry about the permits and approvals and such, since they're usually the ones providing them. And they are well placed to upgrade the local infrastructure as needed to support the charging requirements.

They may well need to own a subsidiary company that is a bit more customer service oriented. But that's not very different from what the oil companies do with gas stations.

Aesthetically, I prefer the current, "hidden" charge port, but I think the charge port door (aka. tail light) is way too flimsy. Simply brushing against it while it's open is enough to cause damage. Given the choice, I'd prefer to make a minor aesthetic sacrifice in favor of durability, and that's without any consideration of having a dual port.

Also, because the CCS port accommodates J-1772, having a dual port should mean no need for a J-1772 adaptor for routine L2 charging with non-Tesla equipment. That would be a real plus!