Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery Break-in ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then they ARE shutting off charging and letting the cells settle a bit before starting to balance. That gives them a more accurate measurement of voltage for each cell (or cell brick) before starting the balancing phase. That makes a lot of sense, and is much better than how most off the shelf balancers work.

There must be a certain tolerance or voltage difference that is defined as sufficiently 'equal'. Anybody know how much that is?

I'm wondering how long the balancing effort continues after charging ceases. When I check on it nothing seems to have been happening.

There must be a certain tolerance or voltage difference that is defined as sufficiently 'equal'. Anybody know how much that is?

I'm wondering how long the balancing effort continues after charging ceases. When I check on it nothing seems to have been happening.

The target voltage delta is 0.02V. The balancing cycle can take anywhere from a few minutes to over 24hrs depending on how far out of balance your pack is.

That's great, AudobonB! I hope 'dead' doesn't get added to that blotter.

Thanks, wiztecy, for the flow chart. I'll download the patent and understand their algorithm.

My concern with this new (refurbished) ESS is that, every morning, I look at the balancing matix and it's a sea of mostly 1's - mostly in the higher numbered bricks. Some sheet numbers are all 1's.

Maybe it's creeping slightly better. But did original owners with new batteries need to go through this?

Maybe it's creeping slightly better. But did original owners with new batteries need to go through this?

When I built my first electric bike I plotted the charging cycle of each of the 16 cells in my pack. When I bought my RAV4EV with the Tesla drive train I went to sleep at night, secure in the knowledge that Tesla was doing that for me. Especially since that pack had thousand of cells. LOL

My concern with this new (refurbished) ESS is that, every morning, I look at the balancing matix and it's a sea of mostly 1's - mostly in the higher numbered bricks. Some sheet numbers are all 1's.

It could take a few months for a new pack to fully balance. The balancing happens faster after a Range charge, but at the risk of faster degradation. Let it sit for as long as possible after a Standard charge, eventually it'll get there.

Keep an eye on the CAC, as it balances since its a refurbished pack you should hopefully see a correlated rise in CAC/ideal miles. As for how long will this go until its fully balanced, its variable depending how out of balance the pack is due to storage at a lower SOC. It can run its course for 3 weeks plus, just be patient and ensure you allow it to sit at 82%+ SOC each day which is around 174+ ideal miles and it'll take its course to normalize.