Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2022 MS buyer, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I will be buying a 2022 Model S. It has mileage in the range of 20-30K miles.

MAIN QUESTION: I might buy it site un-seen, is there anything I need to be aware of or worried about??> Also, specifically for 2022, any special packages (I assume there is no more premium sound or regular vs air-suspension, but they are all the same).

I heard the rear screens in 2022 are upgraded compared to 2021 after the interior upgrade.

Last question, i tend to keep my cars for 5 years, what are the chances that they will refresh the exterior or model S and release a new design anytime in the next 1-3 years?

Is this at a dealer or private party? I have bought 20 cars in the last 2.5 years sight unseen. Do not worry about that. Best way to do this is why having videos send to you surrounding the entire car, wheels, and interior. Since it's under warranty, I wouldn't worry so much about that, however, I would get a set of eyes on the overall exterior condition, making sure no accidents, etc.

Like any brand, no one knows when a model will be refreshed.

I've purchased many cars sight-unseen and never had any issues albeit they were all very low-mileage vehicles meaning less wear-n-tear. Make sure whomever you're working with seems honest and willing to take any and all necessary photos/videos that you ask for so that everything checks out. Also, don't be afraid to make stipulations in the sales contract for the fact that you can't inspect it in-person (be reasonable on those stipulations as they should relate more to what you've requested/required than the unforeseen ones that you didn't know about or never asked about).

I bought my 2015 P85D sight-unseen and when it showed up at my door, it was exactly as the photos/videos provided to me prior. It came to me with just about 16k miles on the clock.

A 2022 model will still be under full factory warranty so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do your due diligence to your level of expectation for buying a used car. Are you buying from a dealer or private owner?

I may be wrong however I've been told and read that after some time in 2018, all packages went away and every car just came "fully loaded" with all options available based on what Telsa offered at the time. You got to pick exterior color, interior color, wheels, and maybe FSD/EAP... and that was it. I actually think this is a great idea because it cut costs on the manufacturing side and everyone simply knows that every "Model S is always fully loaded".

I may be wrong however I've been told and read that after some time in 2018, all packages went away and every car just came "fully loaded" with all options available based on what Telsa offered at the time. You got to pick exterior color, interior color, wheels, and maybe FSD/EAP... and that was it. I actually think this is a great idea because it cut costs on the manufacturing side and everyone simply knows that every "Model S is always fully loaded".

This is correct. Tesla hasn't offered any sort of options or packages since around 2018, other than color options, wheels, seating config (for the X), tow hitch, and Enhanced AP / FSD. Simplified production but made the cars more boring, IMO.

Thanks everyone.

What do you all think is a reasonable asking price for a 2022 Long Range in the 20-29K miles; knowing it is from a private seller? No FSD.

this is a good comp, 22 with 3K miles, sold for $69K on Cars and Bids. I just picked up a late 22 with less than 3K and FSD for 74K (from an Audi dealer).

with that mileage, assuming late enough in 2022 to get the minor refresh (headlights, etc) and swivel screen, I'd say low to mid 60s would be decent price.

this is a good comp, 22 with 3K miles, sold for $69K on Cars and Bids. I just picked up a late 22 with less than 3K and FSD for 74K (from an Audi dealer).

with that mileage, assuming late enough in 2022 to get the minor refresh (headlights, etc) and swivel screen, I'd say low to mid 60s would be decent price.

Oh wow, that's kinda lower than the deal am getting. I am closer to high 60s based on current asking price. But also am looking around and I can't find anything close to the numbers you are referencing, maybe am not looking at the right websites?

Oh wow, that's kinda lower than the deal am getting. I am closer to high 60s based on current asking price. But also am looking around and I can't find anything close to the numbers you are referencing, maybe am not looking at the right websites?
People aren't getting anything close to their asking price, so it's probably a matter of aggressive negotiation.

A good reference point is new inventory cars in Tesla existing inventory, in my area there are a bunch at 82-83K. That's brand new, with all the latest hardware. Relative to that, it really doesn't make any sense at all to pay high 60s for a year old with almost 30K miles.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-26 150821.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-26 150821.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 78
People aren't getting anything close to their asking price, so it's probably a matter of aggressive negotiation.

A good reference point is new inventory cars in Tesla existing inventory, in my area there are a bunch at 82-83K. That's brand new, with all the latest hardware. Relative to that, it really doesn't make any sense at all to pay high 60s for a year old with almost 30K miles.

Yes, but I thought things like the size of the wheel, paint, interior color alone can add a good $10K or so... so, if the used vehicle with mid 20K miles has all these added spec's, I wonder if the fair market value is still in the low 60s or if high 60s is reasonable.

Yes, but I thought things like the size of the wheel, paint, interior color alone can add a good $10K or so... so, if the used vehicle with mid 20K miles has all these added spec's, I wonder if the fair market value is still in the low 60s or if high 60s is reasonable.
True, that 82K is for basic white in black with the 19” wheels. But in general optional features don’t get valued much in the used market.

Will just come down to what you can negotiate and/or are comfortable with. There is also the risk of Tesla dropping prices on the MS some more, but who knows.

Thanks everyone.

What do you all think is a reasonable asking price for a 2022 Long Range in the 20-29K miles; knowing it is from a private seller? No FSD.

Asking prices for cars like that would tend to be in the upper $60s to low $70s but right now asking is not necessarily getting. With Tesla raising and then lowering prices as much as they did over the past year or so, the market is pretty volatile.

True, although shoppers need to keep in mind that $82k-$83k is in reality closer to $84k-$85k when you factor in the mandatory destination fee and order fee.

I agree. It seems that the majority of 2022 in the 20-30K range are selling for about mid 60s in the end, despite dealers posting them for 70K which no buyer is offering.

I think dealers and sellers are quickly realizing that posting something for 70K+ for that mileage and so on is only causing them to lose buyers and money over-time. Most likely I will end up taking one of those willing to take low to mid 60K.

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

True, although shoppers need to keep in mind that $82k-$83k is in reality closer to $84k-$85k when you factor in the mandatory destination fee and order fee.
Looks like the best is to wait for the right one to pop up on the market it. I would not mind paying high 60s to a dealer, but private sale, a 2022 Tesla S with 20k+ miles will never sell for more than low or medium 60s, and there are many people hunting and just wasting time on autotrader. Most private owners as u can see have tried to start from mid 70s and now they already dropped to high 60 and still can't sell their cars.. I would say high 60s for 2022 MS with 20K+ miles is a steal sale for the owner, but fail value is mid to low 60s based on what am saying. Almost all dealers would agree to let go their MS with such mileage for high 60s, but I prefer honestly private owners. I do not trust dealers at all.

Reactions: morbidz