Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2018 Owner with questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a M3LR with about 55k miles on it. Overall I'm very happy with the car. I've the car parked at home and I'm away but in the 3 days since charging the range has gone down from 231 to 221 miles. I also own a Bolt and never seen this. Any idea why there's a 10 mile loss?

I recently purchased a M3LR with about 55k miles on it. Overall I'm very happy with the car. I've the car parked at home and I'm away but in the 3 days since charging the range has gone down from 231 to 221 miles. I also own a Bolt and never seen this. Any idea why there's a 10 mile loss?
It's best to plug in your car so you don't worry about loss.

If you want to minimize loss, you just have to go through the menus and see what you can turn off features that consume energy, such as:
Sentry Mode
Cabin Heat Protection
Alarms
Mobile access
Agreement with Tesla to upload your info
Software updates
Wi-fi
Summon Standby Mode...

Last edited:

Yes,

Teslas dont turn "all the way off" they just get put to sleep, like a computer. Every time you check on the car via the Tesla app, you are waking it up, and it will take "some amount of time" to go back to sleep. If you dont check on the car, dont use sentry mode, dont use cabin overheat protection, etc, you can probably get the drain down to 2-3 miles a day or so, but its going to be a couple of miles a day, ish, and thats normal.

It's best to plug in your car so you don't worry about loss.

If you want to minimize loss, you just have to go through the menus and see what you can turn off features that consume energy, such as:
Sentry Mode
Cabin Heat Protection
Alarms
Mobile access
Agreement with Tesla to upload your info
Software updates
Wi-fi
Summon Standby Mode...
Thanks. Yes the sentry mode was on.

Reactions: Tam
Yes you're right. But I just had it on for a day.
For future reference, I think it is about 1 mile per hour drain for 2018 Model 3 (I have the same year M3) for sentry mode. It's probably the same for all Model 3. I remember when Sentry Mode first came out for Model 3, my coworker was complaining about the battery drain. He drove 2 miles to work, Park with sentry mode for 9 hours, and drove home. Between sentry mode and cabin overhead protection (hot here all year long in the afternoon), it is like 15 to 18 miles loss every day when he is round trip commute is only 4 miles.

Reactions: jjrandorin