Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netherlands-based eSIM frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the eSIM in my newly purchased MY has a Netherlands-based IP location, which restricts what I can watch via Netflix, Disney+ and iPlayer (via the web-browser). It’s frustrating that I pay £10 a month for the premium data package yet it is hobbled because European Teslas are supplied with the eSIM from a Netherlands-based telco.

I raised a service request through the Tesla app, as I’d read on the forum that Tesla could resolve this problem (changing IP address so it reports a UK location, perhaps?) but unfortunately this didn’t work out. The Service Team phoned me to explain that it wasn’t possible to change the IP location, and the best option to work around the problem was to tether the car to my phone (assuming I have a sufficient data package) when I wanted to watch UK-only media.

Has anyone managed to get the eSIM problem resolved? I’m happy to tether to my phone even if that‘s a bit of a clunky solution, and I’ll do that right after I cancel my monthly subscription to the poorly named Premium data service.

You probably got a new block (I guess they're using them up fast). It's fairly easy to change the geo location of a block of IP addresses and Tesla do it routinely for their UK cars. Just wait for it to work its way through the system.
OK, hope that happens.

Perhaps someone might like to explain to the Service Agent who called me that the issue might resolve itself…