Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

nerd joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do nerds mix up halloween and xmas?
dec25 = oc31

That is an old time classic. I used to have that as my signature line on "usenet" before the Internet was even live.
(did you mean to leave a 't' off of oct?)

For those who didn't get it... Decimal vs Octal... 25 in base 10 = 31 in base 8 (3*8+1).

Yeah. I guess this isn't the place to tell my UDP joke. I can't be sure anyone would get it.
UDP (as apposed to TCP) is an 'unreliable' way to send IP packet data on the Internet. Since you don't get confirmation back you aren't sure if your message was delivered or not. It is generally used for streaming multi-media data where a lost packet here or there would result in just an audio (or video) glitch that people could overlook. Not a good transport for moving files or binary data around as a lost packet could corrupt your whole image. Another reason to use UDP for streaming audio and/or video is you want to maintain low "latency" on your stream, and a reliable transport can introduce retries that mess up your timing. (Basically you want all the packets to arrive in order, and stragglers should be discarded and missing data should be ignored.)

DPeilow said:
Can we call it a froot?

The original reference to "froot" (as a front-boot, where UK'boot'=US'trunk') started this whole nerd fest as the whole Internet starts off with domain "root servers" that are used to point name lookups to the right servers. For instance when you type teslamotorsclub.com into a web browser something has to tell your computer what IP address to use to contact the forum web server(s).
There are root domain servers named by alphabet letters... aroot, broot, ... froot, etc... that are the source of domain knowledge if the higher level caching servers aren't keeping track of the name you want. Generally the root servers should be left alone (otherwise they would be overloaded by the massive amount of internet traffic) so higher level caching servers handle most of the lookups.

C:\>nslookup
> set q=any
> 241.5.5.192.in-addr.arpa.
Non-authoritative answer:
241.5.5.192.in-addr.arpa name = f.root-servers.net
> f.root-servers.net
Non-authoritative answer:
f.root-servers.net AAAA IPv6 address = 2001:500:2f::f
f.root-servers.net internet address = 192.5.5.241

Isn't that clear to everyone now! :wink:

This whole thread was pulled out of the 'frunk' thread since we um, sort-of, um, went a bit off-topic.

Last edited:
Bind is process name of one of the most common DNS / Domain Name Servers used to resolve host names to IP addresses.

Actually it's more closely linked than that.

192.5.5.241 is the address of the F-root server (a DNS root server) which is run by Internet Systems Consortium, who also make BIND (Berkley Internet Name Domain), the most used DNS server software.

"Nice explanations TEG, but you do know the joke isn't funny if you have to explain it..." and "I appreciated the explanations." Ditto, though not much help.

Did you hear about the crooked C47'Bs holding up a solid? They got sprung.