Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 outlet installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did you use the heavy duty receptacle, or a cheap one from a Big Box store (which is not designed for heavy continuous use)?
Answer in post #10. :)

Did you place a cable assembly inside of FMC ?
I ran three 8 AWG THHN/THWN-2 90ºC conductors and a bare 8 AWG ground wire through ~1 ft. of FMC from the bottom of the panel to the top of the metal box.

So that we can sleep a little easier, I ordered a Bryant 9450FR from Grainger this morning - it'll be here tomorrow.
Recently, January 2023, there have been reports of Bryant 14-50R being defective, i.e. they don't work (at least not for EV charging.) So if you have difficulty charging using the Bryant 14-50R after you have double checked your work it may be that you received a defective unit and must exchange it for a replacement.

Recently, January 2023, there have been reports of Bryant 14-50R being defective, i.e. they don't work (at least not for EV charging.) So if you have difficulty charging using the Bryant 14-50R after you have double checked your work it may be that you received a defective unit and must exchange it for a replacement.
Has that finally been confirmed somewhere about a run of defective ones? I remember running into a few threads here on the forum of people having repeated problems with the EVSE reporting missing ground from a Bryant outlet, but everything working fine with the el cheap-o Leviton. We tried troubleshooting checking a lot of things and never really found a cause for it.

Has that finally been confirmed somewhere about a run of defective ones? I remember running into a few threads here on the forum of people having repeated problems with the EVSE reporting missing ground from a Bryant outlet, but everything working fine with the el cheap-o Leviton. We tried troubleshooting checking a lot of things and never really found a cause for it.
I basically recall two people complaining that their Bryant didn't work, and when they put their Leviton back, it did. One of them finally found that they could pull the plug out a little, put sideways pressure on the plug and get their Bryant to work.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I basically recall two people complaining that their Bryant didn't work, and when they put their Leviton back, it did. One of them finally found that they could pull the plug out a little, put sideways pressure on the plug and get their Bryant to work.

Oh, the irony. :)

I had initially picked up a Leviton that looked like this:

shopping

Yuck! The contacts inside did not appear to be copper and I didn't like how the wires came out of the back. The terminals didn't inspire much confidence.

The Pass & Seymour 3894CC6 appears to have copper contacts. I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the Pass & Seymour - good or bad. Home Depot advertises it for EV charger use. I'm not saying that's a good idea - just an observation. I like how the wires go into the top and bottom of the back of the receptacle instead of the back and the slotted terminal screws allowed more torque to be applied and the wires are secured in a V-shape clamp that the screw pulls in as opposed to the screw pushing the wire against a flat surface like on the Leviton.

s-l1600.jpg

1675117795588.png

So, it looks to me like the Pass & Seymour is superior to the Leviton despite being the same price. I don't doubt that the Hubbell (and Bryant save for the faulty ground issue) are superior to the Pass & Seymour.

At this point, if I find that the Bryant doesn't work, I'll probably just reinstall the Pass & Seymour and call it a day. I have no plans to regularly plug and unplug the Mobile Connector frequently - it'll probably stay plugged in the vast majority of the time.

Reactions: Rocky_H
So that we can sleep a little easier, I ordered a Bryant 9450FR from Grainger this morning - it'll be here tomorrow.
I finally got around to replacing the Pass & Seymour/Legrand receptacle with a Bryant and larger faceplate this evening. I also replaced the mud ring with a shallower version so that the faceplate now sits flush with the wall.

UPS was supposed to deliver the Mobile Connector today, but it didn't show up and has been rescheduled for delivery tomorrow because "the business was closed" (it's a residential address and no delivery was attempted today). They've used that excuse several times over the years. :)

IMG_5166.JPG

Reactions: SageBrush
Reactions: zroger73
Was going to post the exact same thing, and you beat me to it. The listing you linked however does not include the holder for the Mobile Connector itself (only the cable), there's another that does:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NR72SJT/
Tesla one does too:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/cable-organizer

At the time I got my car, I didn't look for those non-OEM options (might not have existed) and Tesla one was a bit much cost for those two bits of plastic (looked iffy to hold the cable with only two screws), so I just used a Hose Hangout for the cable.
Suncast 150 ft. Hose Hangout CPLHH15000 - The Home Depot
And a hanger for the body (came only in two pack, but needed only one):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-2-Pack-7-in-Gray-Steel-Multi-Tool-Hangers/50218513

Basically Mobile Connector slots between the hanger and takes tension off the socket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midpack