Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to borrow (or buy) a 110v charging cable for one night in the illinois area....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too would be cautious. For $15,000 it may be worth a gamble, but not sure I would go much higher as if you need a new battery you are looking at about $40,000. Now if the battery is not dead and when you plug it in it does show charging there is hope. But to really test you need to fully charge, which is about 30 hours on 110V. And you need a stout 12 gage extension cord or you are likely to fault trying to charge.

If when charged you show 170+ ideal miles then you are likely OK. But that will be VERY difficult to pull off in a weekend.

Yup....good catch. The amber fault" light is though a "non-critical" fault according to the manual. There should be a corresponding message on the VDS explaining the fault. The red "brake" light also indicates an ABS shutdown if the hand brake is not applied.

fault.jpg

Last edited:
The car is at auction; hence no cable. I either need to borrow one, or buy one and receive it fast! (by Monday.) I talked with a Tesla rep and he said nobody is stocking the cords, and that it would have to be ordered. But time is a big problem! Anyone have a used one for sale that I can get quickly? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Any update? What did the seller say when you told him about the battery?

I'd be interested in hearing Tesla's take on the general topic:

"Dear Tesla, suppose I'm considering buying a Roadster salvage at auction or elsewhere (as it's a collector's item). For the normal ranger fee, could I get a Tesla repair estimate? If not, what would be the fee for such a service?"

If I like their answer, I might be looking for one in a few years.

In fact, maybe I'll e-mail them.