Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How buy Wall Connector on OfferUp / Craigslist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to find a deal on a Wall Connector Gen 3 on Offer Up. I see one for $300 right now.

But is there any possible way to test one if it's open box? Like if the green light comes on?

Also what key parts do I need to be sure are included? I checked the official instruction manual, on Page 16 lists all the "comes in box" stuff.

If it's used or open box and just a bunch of stuff in a box, how should I ensure it has everything that is there for it to work? Like I will not take it if say the back plate is missing, but can I still consider taking it if its missing some screws and just buy screws later? Should I ask for a bigger discount since the screws may cost money? Hopefully I can find one that has everything and is ready to go. I'm just going to show the seller that instruction Manuel of what is in the box and to prove to me they have every single part.

Or is there any potential that since it is wifi enabled it could be locked because of whatever setting the previous owner put it to? I see the page 16 it says keep the Quickstart guide because it has network name and passcode. Would that be a deal breaker if somehow the seller is missing this document?

I did buy my first Wall Connector on Craigslist and it went smoothly. Because it was one the black Elon Musk versions and the guy sold it for the same as normal retail version so I think that's why I bought it. It was brand new and I just trusted the guy, I saw he drove a Tesla. But it didn't really have wifi stuff, but this new one does, I'm not sure how that could affect a 2nd buyer in terms of being locked out or not being to access it.

Seems most people selling Tesla accessories generally own Tesla and are honest. Right now I'd like to use the Gen3 to replace my old gen1 2019 Wall Connector. I like the slimmer cable feels less heavy, easier to manage.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 9.19.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 9.19.08 PM.png
    432.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
The manual and quickstart guide are not important. The codes you need are imprinted on the back of the unit, and may also be on the side.

If its cheap enough, the backplate and screws aren't important, since they can be had for $65 new from Tesla directly.

There is no concern with the Wifi, you can reset it to yours.

There are two real concerns buying used. The first is that you lose the four year warranty. The second is that there was a significant batch of HPWCs that would overheat and throttle back the charging or overheat and eventually completely fail to charge. These were generally the HPWCs that had model numbers ending in -F.