Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need replacement tires Continental, Michelin, Hankook for Model 3 long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to be asking this question again but I find the information confusing in the different forums. Probably because the data is subjective. However, if the new tires I get are noisier then the current OEM Continental ContiProContact RX with Silent Tech, I'll never hear the end of it from my spouse.

I have a 2018 model 3 long range with 30K miles and 19" wheels. My priorities in a tire are noise and battery range with reasonable performance. I am considering the following:
Mavis discount tire
- Continental ContiProContact RX with Silent tech 235/40ZR19 ~$300/tire plus installation
- Hankook Ventus Ion A 1H01 Noise Proof 235/40ZR19 ~$235/tire plus installation plus $100 rebate for 4 tires
Costco
- Michelin Pilot Sport ALL Season 4 235/40ZR19 ~$254.99/tire plus installation

Mavis recommended the Hankook Ventus Ion as a new model from Hankook specifically designed for EV cars. The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 does not have the inner foam technology and therefore is easier to get repaired.

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

@Phillydriver If quiet is a priority I'd avoid the Michelin PSAS4. It's not known for that, at all, and I've seen some noise complaints about it on these forums. Now if maximum grip from an allseason is your priority, then the PSAS4 should be a good choice, but low NVH is not its forte or priority.

How much do you care about performance? How happy are you with the OEM Conti's performance? Are you specifically wanting a UHP allseason (the PSAS4 category) that is relatively quiet (not a main focus of that category)? Or are you fine with more of a touring tire that doesn't focus on high performance, but will probably be quieter?

I'm pretty sure some UHP allseasons are quieter than the PSAS4. But if you want maximum quiet, that won't be the category for it.

Reactions: XPsionic
Sorry to be asking this question again but I find the information confusing in the different forums. Probably because the data is subjective. However, if the new tires I get are noisier then the current OEM Continental ContiProContact RX with Silent Tech, I'll never hear the end of it from my spouse.

I have a 2018 model 3 long range with 30K miles and 19" wheels. My priorities in a tire are noise and battery range with reasonable performance. I am considering the following:
Mavis discount tire
- Continental ContiProContact RX with Silent tech 235/40ZR19 ~$300/tire plus installation
- Hankook Ventus Ion A 1H01 Noise Proof 235/40ZR19 ~$235/tire plus installation plus $100 rebate for 4 tires
Costco

Mavis recommended the Hankook Ventus Ion as a new model from Hankook specifically designed for EV cars. The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 does not have the inner foam technology and therefore is easier to get repaired.

Not sure if it's relevant but I have Hankook Kinergy GT tire that Tesla started to put on M3LR in 2022. I HATE them! I rotate them every 6k miles but they are ridiculously noisy after 17k miles. Will not get Hankook again.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
USAA has 25% off Goodyear Electric Drive tires, a newish option.

Here is a thread with some info, but mostly Model Y:

We have started carrying tires specifically designed for electric vehicles and are trying to make browsing for them easier by making a specific EV Tires section on our site.

If you are looking for quiet tires with good tread-wear and solid all-season performance, tires like the Michelin MXM4 for Tesla, as well as the Sailun ERANGE EV would be ones to consider.

Not sure if it's relevant but I have Hankook Kinergy GT tire that Tesla started to put on M3LR in 2022. I HATE them! I rotate them every 6k miles but they are ridiculously noisy after 17k miles. Will not get Hankook again.
Their new Ion tires might be a different thing, people are giving them great reviews so far. The Kinergy GT suck (as seen by reviews on TireRack). Total Tesla cheap-out. But probably the Michelin factories were backlogged with supply issues.

There's also a Pirelli "Elect" EV specific variation which should be an option.

Their new Ion tires might be a different thing, people are giving them great reviews so far. The Kinergy GT suck (as seen by reviews on TireRack). Total Tesla cheap-out. But probably the Michelin factories were backlogged with supply issues.

There's also a Pirelli "Elect" EV specific variation which should be an option.
These tires should be quiet. So many people in that thread said they immediately noticed how much quieter the tires are. Just make sure you get the Ion All season, and not Kinergy.

The Pirelli P Zero all season Elect should be quiet too, the tread is based on the Pirelli all season, which was the quietest of the 4 high performance all season tires Tirerack tested https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=266

Reactions: UrsS
I just switched from the Pilot Sport All Season 4 to the Continental DWS 06 Plus, and the contis are WAY quieter and ride so much smoother than the Michelins.

Hopefully they'll last longer too, the Michelins only lasted me about 28k~ miles despite regularly rotating them.
Man, your michelins were like 17,000 miles of the warranty. Probably should have gone to Michelin and told them.

Reactions: canasion35
@GreenCoffee was it really that much of a hit to the range? Ouch. Was considering this tire but that’s a hit.

@jrmt23 what warranty do you speak of? Assume this is not from the Michelins that came on the Tesla from the factory. Didn’t think those had a warranty or am I wrong?
You're correct. the OEM michelin's discount tire wont credit/warranty back to you. You might be able to get something by contacting Michelin themselves directly.

I had the Pilot Sport A/S 4 prior to getting the DWS06+ and the michelins had a 45k warranty.

Mavis discount tire
Costco

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s on my M3P and like everything about them EXCEPT the noise. They are among the loudest tires out of the popular bunch that is commonly referenced. Wife hates them (dB wise) and when you're on even semi rough hwy pavement it's a nightmare. Wear ear plugs. (half joking.) On really rough hwy roads it can get pretty obnoxious. That is the Michelin's only downfall.

Recently I had a chance to drive the same year M3P as mine with the new Hankook iON EV tires and they are actually very good and quiet. Much quieter than my Michelin's. The specs are near identical between the Michelin PS AS4 and the Hankook iON EV tires. The handling felt on par with my Michelin's and it was a little damp in the large parking lot too.

I posted this in another thread, but here's a 3 way comparison between: (All Seasons)

Tires Comparison.PNG

Tires Comparison 2.PNG

The Pirelli Elects are a great option too, but the only draw back (won't matter for most) is that they have a pretty low top speed limit and a slightly lower tread grade.

The Michelin does everything well and arguably the best performing tire all around. If you don't care about the noise this is a solid pick. (Lowest warranty at 45K miles, 5K less than the others.)

The Hankook iON is a strong contender and has strong characteristics that others have to offer, while being among the quietest and 2lbs lighter in the example above for my tire size, which is great. (Unsprung weight = Always welcomed.) Also, funny enough Walmart had the iONs for $200 a tire, which is an insane value + the $100 off promo that's going on still.

The Continental ContiProContact RX with Silent Tech, I'm not too familiar with, but for the price I'm curious if the delta between the others can be justified? It'd be interesting to hear some input from someone who own these tires.

I'll be switching the Hankook iONs for both the M3P and MYLR.

The Hankooks are great! We got them a few weeks ago from Discount Tire. They price matched Walmart & we got the $100 rebate direct from Hankook. Much better than the previous Pirellis we had or the Michelins before that.
Great stuff. We have the Hankooks on the MYP and now I'm going to get them on my M3P. The new iON series are a legit competitor to the Michelin PS4 AS and tops it in the area of NVH for sure and highly likely in efficiency as well. The car is much quieter as it's noticeable to even the untrained ear.

A few road trips coming up and it'll be nice collecting some efficiency data. Have you noticed an increase in efficiency?