Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Data/Map update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how often Tesla update the navigation map data?

I’m on EU-2021.8-12875 which according to that numbering system means it is over a year old! My BMW updated the nav map automatically 4 times per year, I thought Tesla were meant to be the software update leaders?

It’s really annoying as there’s new roads/junctions that it doesn’t know about, and a major dual carriageway near me (Norwich NDR) is listed as 60mph limit on large sections which are definitely 70mph, meaning I have to remember to adjust the TACC limit after every roundabout (but quite often forget until I realise I’m crawling along at 60mph).

From what I have experienced, around iirc May time and if you are lucky it won't get rolled back and the previous years version reinstalled. The existing navigation map update tread will have the specifics and approx dates of the last few years. Worth noting though, you don't ever see a map update prompt, it just happens quietly in the background.

From what I have experienced, around iirc May time and if you are lucky it won't get rolled back and the previous years version reinstalled. The existing navigation map update tread will have the specifics and approx dates of the last few years. Worth noting though, you don't ever see a map update prompt, it just happens quietly in the background.
Where is the navigation map update thread please? I did search the site but didn’t find anything like that.

The current Model 3 does give a nav update prompt, I got it the day I collected the car.

The NDR (A1270 Broadland Northway) on AP also freaks me out, as it's not recognised as dual carriageway either - so no auto lane change. Plus the auto braking for the roundabouts is scarily late due to the mapping inaccuracy of what is there.
Nice to meet yet another Norwich/Norfolk member on here!

Yeah it’s strange, it does actually auto brake for the roundabouts on the NDR (I’m never going to call it the Broadland Northway, god knows why the council guys renamed it!), but it doesn’t auto brake for some roundabouts on other much older dual carriageways.

The speed limit for standard cars & vans is 70 mph per its national limit signage. I doubt it’ll stay that way forever. Technically on the roundabouts and on/off-slips it’s 60 mph national interpretation due to not meeting dual carriageway definition. Tesla defaults to 60 mph because its map data suggests it’s single carriageway, and that’s probably because Tesla has to use decades-old EU database of major road network to conform to UNECE regulation.

Reactions: teaston