Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav doesn’t take most efficient route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question: Driving home the other day from another area I’m not usually in, I set nav to take me home. What I’m a bit surprised about, is that the car chooses time over battery efficiency. What surprises me even more is there isn’t an option to switch between the two. I can see wanted to get somewhere in the shortest time, the route it gave me averaged 341 wh/m. It was extremely hilly and twisty. I know of another route that would’ve added a few miles, but would be almost completely flat.
There isn’t a setting I’m missing is there?

I am finding that navigation goes to a completely different route then Waze normally and kind of odd routes. Not sure I should be trusting it but it is also powered by google maps and would be the same exact google maps?
OK, but you know that Waze is not taking anything into consideration about your Tesla. Usually it takes the shortest / fastest route and maybe even avoid congestion. Even if Waze and Tesla "might" use the same maps (which I am not sure about), Waze cares nothing about our Teslas:D

Oh and to add, I usually have the feature turned on in the MX that it will recalculate and take a shorter (time wise) route if it knows there is congestion along the best route that would delay me more than 15 minutes. I'm not surprised that Waze and Tesla might take different routes. Even if they were to use the same maps, they use different algorithms on how to get from point a to point b. Probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

Last edited:
OK, but you know that Waze is not taking anything into consideration about your Tesla. Usually it takes the shortest / fastest route and maybe even avoid congestion. Even if Waze and Tesla "might" use the same maps (which I am not sure about), Waze cares nothing about our Teslas:D

Oh and to add, I usually have the feature turned on in the MX that it will recalculate and take a shorter (time wise) route if it knows there is congestion along the best route that would delay me more than 15 minutes. I'm not surprised that Waze and Tesla might take different routes. Even if they were to use the same maps, they use different algorithms on how to get from point a to point b. Probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

I think Waze is owned by Google so they should be somewhat in line but they really aren't in my comparison. I was just stating that it seems odd that the same company has such variations in routes if I entered the same address on 2 devices. I love Waze for the police notifications as my top item. I find myself using my iPhone for Waze and navigation versus the big beautiful screen because its more efficient and offers more.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
My friend in Austin tells me it's routing sucks. She doesn't use it. Where I live I've had no issues. I'm assuming that it doesn't understand traffic and is probably using outdated maps for Austin since it's grown so quickly.

I am finding that navigation goes to a completely different route then Waze normally and kind of odd routes. Not sure I should be trusting it but it is also powered by google maps and would be the same exact google maps?

Tesla nav uses Google Maps for the display, but they actually have a different routing system for coming up with turn-by-turn instructions.

Supposedly from the hackers and other reports it's based off MapBox map service and Valhalla routing.

Last edited: