Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav 8.0 - UI not made for driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a couple hundred mile trip the last two days and spent some time with the 8.0 Nav. I don't see any improvements (like multiple waypoints), and the UI is marginally worse. What really struck me, and this isn't entirely new, is how the UI is NOT designed to be used by someone driving a car.

First, the new expansion of the map into the top bar is annoying. It doesn't add a significant amount of screen area for the map, but it does now take a couple of clicks to do what could previously be done with one. The generally sluggish display now has to refresh itself to reveal the top bar every time you touch the map. So for example if I want to toggle the satellite or traffic views, it's one touch to get its attention, and a second to change the setting. This is not progress. I generally measure the efficiency of a UI by how many clicks it takes me to do a task, and this is a step backwards.

Second, and most of this has been around since before 8.0, most of the menu items are placed on the far right side of the display. Since the driver is on the left, the icons on the right are a stretch for the driver. Why not put them along the left edge where they are more convenient to reach? And the icons aren't all that big. I can see them, but it's not unusual for the car to take a little bump and my outstretched arm/finger to jab the wrong button.

The only function on the left side is the destination and route. The destination can be accessed via the voice commands, and the current routing is shown on the instrument display. There is rarely a reason to have to touch the individual route points with time/distance/direction, but this is what the UI designer has chosen to place closet to the driver. The destination/route stuff should be on the right side as I can read it there just as easily. And if they added distance/ETA to the nav display on the instrument panel, there would be very little reason to look at the CID at all for the route data.

Same thing goes for the Media Player which is organized like a desktop computer or maybe an iPad with the choices horizontally across the top when the easiest to reach would be vertically along the left edge.

Tesla needs to hire some UI designers who understand the context in which their work is being used.

Last edited:
Tesla needs to higher some UI designers who understand the context in which their work is being used.

We've been trying to get this point across to Tesla since the 6.2 -> 7.0 "upgrade". They've only continued to move backwards in actual UI/UX. We've given them lots and lots of feedback, but it's like talking to a wall, nothing every comes from it and the UI/UX continues to worsen.

I had pretty much the exact opposite reaction to the new UI. I think the design overall is cleaner and a needed refresh. The top bar not showing is a good use of the space. This is how I set the navbar to work on my computer.

Also, I had the opposite experience with things being position closer to the left to make it easier for the driver to access. Examples are the navigation button on the map is on the far left. Also on the media player the song controls and like/dislike buttons are moved left and much easier to reach.

Last edited:
Completely agree with the OP. It's as if the designer forgot we're driving while using this. The early firmware versions were much easier to use while driving, with buttons giving visual clues. Flat design may be ok for phones and tablets, but not so good for cars. And why should I have to tap twice to zoom in or out, when one tap worked perfectly well before. Why can't we lock the status bar and icons to the top of the screen where they used to be?

Agree with OP. I thought I would eventually get used to 8.0, but I'm actually having the opposite experience: with each passing day of actual use, I hate it more and more. It is incredibly driver-hostile.

Suggestion for Tesla: don't let anyone work on the UI who isn't also an owner. This was designed by someone sitting at a desk, not someone trying to safely operate a moving car.

I don't like the icons auto hiding either. I don't need that much real estate for navigation, and having to tap twice is annoying. I'm also not a big fan of auto zoom. I like to keep the instrument cluster for zoom-in, turn by turn, and the 17" for zoomed-out, overall trip data. I can't do that anymore. Every time I zoom out it resets. Clearly this should be a user selectable option.

From what I hear, Elon is the UI product manager. He is providing the direction, the engineers are mocking up a few options, and Elon chooses the one be mikes. He needs to delegate, and hire people with UI experience. The UI can't be built for one person. It needs to be flexible.

I wish they would auto hide the climate control bar at the bottom. It would really open more map space on the display. Might be some other reason they did not make that change.
Probably the other reason is most people want easy access to climate control while driving and don't need an even bigger map. Or were you being sarcastic? Hard to tell with just text.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
After using 8.0 for a week or so now, I really dislike the disappearing icons. Maybe it is time for a poll?
I like the look of the larger maps, but having taken my first longer trip yesterday, the hidden icon bar is a real pain.

For my daily commute, I never need to change anything, I drive every day with maps on top and audio on the bottom, so I don't miss the icons.

But on longer trips I put the trip graph on the bottom most of the time, but need to switch it with audio from time to time. It was a much more difficult with 8.0. Also there in no LTE signal status when the icons are hidden, which is helpful to know when maps and audio start acting up.

Reactions: Anssi and davidc18
The OP makes an important point about the problem of using a touch screen with arm extended when there are bumps in the road. Hitting the wrong button is not just a problem with maps, but with anything requiring selecting something with a touch.

I find that bracing my hand on the bezel of the touchscreen makes proper button selection much easier.

I find that bracing my hand on the bezel of the touchscreen makes proper button selection much easier.
For the buttons on the right side of the display, do you try to rest your palm and then use your thumb to hit the button? My arm is not long enough (though I'm 6' 1" so the seat is pretty far back) to rest my palm and rotate my hand back to the left.

The OP makes an important point about the problem of using a touch screen with arm extended when there are bumps in the road. Hitting the wrong button is not just a problem with maps, but with anything requiring selecting something with a touch.

More voice commands would help. My 2004 Prius had "Zoom in" and "Zoom out." THis is not rocket science.
With the transcript showing, you can also see that the voice recognition also is recognizing almost anything you say.

It should be easy to broaden the number of commands to make it really powerful and help a lot of these problems with voice commands.